Carbon Filters

Reaction score
I have one, it wasn't expensive...... 4" x 8" , to be used in a small 2x2x5.5 Tent (CFM 22) with an inline fan of 82 CFM

carbon filter.jpg

but it came with no details of the CFM, and as it was bought online from China (I live in Asia) the suppliers have not been able to answer my question.

looking at other websites with similar looking/ similar sized filters I see CFM of 150 mentioned.

Would that be about right ? has anybody got one that looks like this ?

Ideally you want a filter with higher cfm than inline fan. The filter will not be as effective.

I have one, it wasn't expensive...... 4" x 8" , to be used in a small 2x2x5.5 Tent (CFM 22) with an inline fan of 82 CFM

View attachment 1132499
but it came with no details of the CFM, and as it was bought online from China (I live in Asia) the suppliers have not been able to answer my question.

looking at other websites with similar looking/ similar sized filters I see CFM of 150 mentioned.

FWIW, if you are pulling enough air through it to lower pressure in the tent while not experiencing odor, you will be good. You do not need to pump the max through it. When I turn on my 6" filter (soon, the aroma is thickening down there in the basement), I will first try a couple computer fans in series to see if they move enough air through the big filter to sort my ~2x4 closet.

I also have a `300cfm fan, but have found that the controller does only a moderately effective job of running the fan very low, hence the initial attempt with the computer fans. Once I need the big fan, I will reduce air flow with baffling over the air intakes to get it below what the controller manages on its own. Bottom line is that I do not need the air in my 2x4 changed every 10 seconds or so. Doing that would bugger my temp and humidity control. I have the 6" filter rather than 4 because I scored a nice 6" fan for ~$15 at a junk store, plus I think you get more filter longevity for the buck with the larger filter.

Or so go the plans, and we know how they often turn out - something like evaporating on first contact with the enemy. :biggrin:

On your setup, if your fan moves anything like 22cfm through the filter, you will be golden as far as air flow is concerned. Whether the smell is gone will be about the filter, not the fan. As I mentioned, you may not need even this fan going flat out to get the job done. Slower is better when it comes to filter efficiency.
You just need to accomplish enough suction to de-pressurize the tent, and provide enough air exchange for a CO2 supply for the plants. And the latter does not require an incoming gale of fresh air, or complete air changes multiple times a minute. Good luck with it, let us know how it works out.

FWIW, if you are pulling enough air through it to lower pressure in the tent while not experiencing odor, you will be good. You do not need to pump the max through it. When I turn on my 6" filter (soon, the aroma is thickening down there in the basement), I will first try a couple computer fans in series to see if they move enough air through the big filter to sort my ~2x4 closet.

I also have a `300cfm fan, but have found that the controller does only a moderately effective job of running the fan very low, hence the initial attempt with the computer fans. Once I need the big fan, I will reduce air flow with baffling over the air intakes to get it below what the controller manages on its own. Bottom line is that I do not need the air in my 2x4 changed every 10 seconds or so. Doing that would bugger my temp and humidity control. I have the 6" filter rather than 4 because I scored a nice 6" fan for ~$15 at a junk store, plus I think you get more filter longevity for the buck with the larger filter.

Or so go the plans, and we know how they often turn out - something like evaporating on first contact with the enemy. :biggrin:

On your setup, if your fan moves anything like 22cfm through the filter, you will be golden as far as air flow is concerned. Whether the smell is gone will be about the filter, not the fan. As I mentioned, you may not need even this fan going flat out to get the job done. Slower is better when it comes to filter efficiency.
You just need to accomplish enough suction to de-pressurize the tent, and provide enough air exchange for a CO2 supply for the plants. And the latter does not require an incoming gale of fresh air, or complete air changes multiple times a minute. Good luck with it, let us know how it works out.
Sorry to say this but I have tried to baffle already and controller I guess adjusts for restriction and speeds up. It sucks but the only way to get it slower would be to adjust volts coming in to plug. Also if noise is what's bothering, you can exhaust into a box with foam.

View attachment 1132499

Not sure on cfm but you can't hurt anything by running it. Turn it on and see if smell is coming through filter.

Back