Can’t keep humidity up

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m 1 week in to my first grow and I’m having some trouble balancing temperature and humidity in my 4x4 tent. If I leave the tent closed with all the vent holes open and my tiny inlet fan running and the closet door closed humidity stays above 70% but temps can get over 90F. If I merely open the closet door and leave everything else the same the temps lower to 80-82F but I can’t get the humidity above 40%. I tried keeping the closet door closed and running an exhaust fan but then the humidity dropped even lower. I’m wondering if I should get a better inlet fan or should I just not worry about the humidity so much and just focus on keeping temps 75-80F? TIA!

Hey everyone, I’m 1 week in to my first grow and I’m having some trouble balancing temperature and humidity in my 4x4 tent. If I leave the tent closed with all the vent holes open and my tiny inlet fan running and the closet door closed humidity stays above 70% but temps can get over 90F. If I merely open the closet door and leave everything else the same the temps lower to 80-82F but I can’t get the humidity above 40%. I tried keeping the closet door closed and running an exhaust fan but then the humidity dropped even lower. I’m wondering if I should get a better inlet fan or should I just not worry about the humidity so much and just focus on keeping temps 75-80F? TIA!

Inlet fans are unnecessary if you have an exhaust fan.
An exhaust fan must suck in exactly as much air as it expels.

Because hot air can hold more moisture than cool air, a batch of cooler air will naturally have its humidity lowered when heated.
That's why you can't keep humidity low.

If I were in your situation, I'd blow humid air from a humidifier into the closet, and have an exhaust fan to keep temp and humidity reasonable.
Depending on how the moist air or fog affects plants, I'd disperse the humidity with a clip-on fan inside the closet.
This will take some trial and error.
I've got top-fill, ultrasonic humidifiers blowing fog into my tents, and and exhaust fan.
There's a delicate interplay between humidifier, exhaust fan setting, and temp.
I have to adjust things frequently to keep close to 76 F and 65% humidity.

Because hot air can hold more moisture than cool air, a batch of cooler air will naturally have its humidity lowered when heated.

If I were in your situation, I'd blow humid air from a humidifier into the closet, and have an exhaust fan to keep temp and humidity reasonable.
Depending on how the moist air or fog affects plants, I'd disperse the humidity with a clip-on fan inside the closet.
I've got top-fill, ultrasonic humidifiers blowing fog into my tents, and and exhaust fan.
Thank you so much, that makes perfect sense. I just removed the fan from the vent and now I’ve got it in the tent clipped to a corner post, hopefully when I check in the morning my humidity will be better, thanks again!

adjust the amount you close the closet door until you get the humidity where you want it? or get an inkbird humidistat for 30 bucks and plug your fan into it?

This may help - 70%RH @ a temp of 90F appears to be ok for early growth
Leaf-Vapor-Pressure-Deficit-VPD-5 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have one of these in my 4 x 6 x 8 space. I only need it the first 3 weeks then the plants transpire enough to take over, then too much so the exhaust fan gets faster......... It is a dance. The Humidity Tango do you hear it!

This is my first grow using it and I like it. I went through about 30 gallons of distilled water in three weeks.

ScreenHunter_246 Jan. 28 22.20.jpg

Or...get an inline fan with a DC motor and adjustable RPM like the one I bought:

Amazon product

Then turn it down, worked for me after a crappy ipower 190 cfm fan. If you have a non adjustable AC fan you could also just buy a blast gate of the same diameter and close it some amount, I did, it works for $7.

Amazon product

you aren’t kidding when you say it’s a delicate balance. My tent hasn’t been exactly how I want it for more than a couple minutes at a time and it most likely won’t until I can get some kind of actual air conditioner in the room. My tax return cannot get here soon enough.

OP I am also running a 4x4 with a 1 LED and 9 3gal. Smart pots. I have a 12” oscillating fan mounted about 15” off the floor which currently puts a nice breeze atop most the plants at the same time. I rotate them every now and then anyways.

I think in a week or so when the plants are taller and I need to raise the fan in gonna swap in a tower fan. Possibly even put it horizontally along the top as I’ve seen others do. The 12” is too big in my opinion. I also have a small 6” fan that hangs on some rope and spins around randomly.

I have a humidifier running pretty much 24/7 and my average RH is like 45-50%. Average temp is about 80 and that’s running 20/4 to keep it at a safe Temo during hottest part of day.

this is my first grow as well OP so I’m right there with ya.

you aren’t kidding when you say it’s a delicate balance. My tent hasn’t been exactly how I want it for more than a couple minutes at a time and it most likely won’t until I can get some kind of actual air conditioner in the room. My tax return cannot get here soon enough.

OP I am also running a 4x4 with a 1 LED and 9 3gal. Smart pots. I have a 12” oscillating fan mounted about 15” off the floor which currently puts a nice breeze atop most the plants at the same time. I rotate them every now and then anyways.

I think in a week or so when the plants are taller and I need to raise the fan in gonna swap in a tower fan. Possibly even put it horizontally along the top as I’ve seen others do. The 12” is too big in my opinion. I also have a small 6” fan that hangs on some rope and spins around randomly.

I have a humidifier running pretty much 24/7 and my average RH is like 45-50%. Average temp is about 80 and that’s running 20/4 to keep it at a safe Temo during hottest part of day.

this is my first grow as well OP so I’m right there with ya.

@Faceoff. I found a good way to cool for free, I was running 2 single head ultrasonic humidifiers in a 5 gallon bucket and getting so much fog that it sucked the heat out of my tent (2 x 4 x 7). Running both units dropped my temp by about 7 degrees. The mist is so fine it absorbs hear fairly well for water and the fan sucked the hot water out. Maybe it'd solve both your probs. Can pump out so much water that my hygrometer said 83 rh at 87 degrees when I forgot to turn on the fan, another time thee RH was pegged at 99 when I had the fan off for maint. When id run both WITH the fan on half or so I'd struggle to hit 70 degrees in the tent, so I keep my fan about 25%.

Back