Nutrients Canna Mono Calcium contains 5.5% Nitrogen

Reaction score
This is not about the CalMag Agent which has N on the label but Mono Calcium.

Having only found the same question being asked decades ago: "Does Canna Mono Calcium contain N?", I called them to ask. Got a call back from the person I had spoken too. Their research department confirmed that it contains 5.5% Nitrogen. They also told me the label would be changed.

>5% (presumably 5-0-0) is a lot of N to be adding, particularly without being able to take this into account. Who knows how many grows have been affected by N toxicity due to this?

Law breakers! Fertilizer labeling is regulated in the US and most countries. The "Mono" in the product name is outright deceptive. Regrettably, I presume nothing will happen to the company for having deceived users for years.

Cal-mag supplements, sometime with other things added, such as iron, but lacking N include Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra (0-0-0). CALiMAGic (Gen. Hydroponics), what I use, has low N, is 1-0-0.

Yeah that's the thing. People have been using it for years and speculating. The person I spoke to at Canna was also a bit taken aback after confirming. The CalMag from Canna is declared with 3-0-0.

I just started using it for this grow, because I couldn't get the CalMag that I wanted (from the same manufacturer as my base nutrients). Can't recall what I used when mixing my own(decades ago) but it was from regular gardening and agricultural suppliers. Ready mixed I've been using Advanced Hydro more or less since the beginning.

What prompted me to find out was a user on another forum pointing out Calcium-nitrate in the (European) safety data sheet and another user adding it would explain their dark plants. I got lucky as I've been mixing the base nutrients at 10-20% above recommended, whilst using their Monos for Ca and Mg.

I wonder if they'll change the labeling or formulation.

Competitors, such as Adv. Nutr., have '0' nitrogen cal-mag products. Canna needs to get their act together and at least bring out a generic version (copy) or develop their own hopefully even improved product (or rename and relabel or drop the product). A product called Mono Calcium should not contain any other plant nutrients.

Yeah they label their CalMag accordingly too. With the calcium it's not on the bottle though. Only on the safety datasheet, which you would have to find somewhere and download. But even there it only mentions calcium nitrate, nothing about how much N :eek1:

As to the calcium, which is supposed to contain only calcium, I got a reply via channel I wrote to them on, before calling.

No sign of apology. Just "We did what was legally required ... there are no real monos... but we'll change the labels"

From what I gathered finding out about the matter, people have been having problems with their products for years and mislabeling was suspected.

Save yourself the hassle, don't use Canna products. I got lucky that I currently have an N hungry strain, so I'll continue to use it til the end of this round and no more Canna for me (coincidentally never used much of theirs anyway).

Yeah they label their CalMag accordingly too. With the calcium it's not on the bottle though. Only on the safety datasheet, which you would have to find somewhere and download. But even there it only mentions calcium nitrate, nothing about how much N :eek1:

As to the calcium, which is supposed to contain only calcium, I got a reply via channel I wrote to them on, before calling.

No sign of apology. Just "We did what was legally required ... there are no real monos... but we'll change the labels"

From what I gathered finding out about the matter, people have been having problems with their products for years and mislabeling was suspected.

Save yourself the hassle, don't use Canna products. I got lucky that I currently have an N hungry strain, so I'll continue to use it til the end of this round and no more Canna for me (coincidentally never used much of theirs anyway).
Good catch on this.
I don't use their products but always good to know these things.
I bet a few people are going to be pleased to learn where their grow went wrong.

why not use calcium-chloride?
Or CalMag and Epsom Salt... many options :) As to my use of this product - need calcium now, buy what's available. Lesson learned (likely to be repeated due to lack of being correctly informed).

what medium do you grow in?
Doh... didn't mention again: RDWC. With soil I'd likely use mix dolomite.

Wouldn't use minerals nutes on soil unless foliar feeding during veg for some reason (with the soil covered). But never really needed that if the soil was mixed properly and ripened(for lack of a better term).

Back