Can These Be Saved?

Reaction score
Second time growing. Had success last time so I'm running the same 70/30 coco perlite with GH nutes. Only difference is 3 gallon fabric pots instead of 5 gallon. Got a little cocky with my successful first run and went a little too agressive on this run. Decided to try 4 different strains: Green Crack, Lemon AK and Forbidden Runtz from Fastbuds and Forum Stomper from Mephisto. Not a good idea, I know. To make matters worse, the marker on my seedling tray wore off so I'm not sure which one is which. Again, I know.

I think I just overwatered everything and maybe went a little heavy on the nutes. I just flushed 2 with tap water only. Runoff PH on front left was 400, front right was over 600. The really droopy ones seem to get a little bit better when they dry out but still look pretty sad. The front right one looks good structurally, but has developed rust spots in the past few days. I'm on day 16 now.

Can any of these be saved, or should I start over and go back to being more cautious with my feeding like I did on my first run?

20220619_170727.jpg
20220619_170716.jpg
20220619_170736.jpg

I don't have experience in coco but those are definitely still kicking. I only give up when the are laying in the dirt yellow. Lol honestly still looking good just a little over watered to me but idk since im used to soil. The spots are a calcium def pretty sure. Calmag will fix that. Get your PPM right and let that soil dry out and dont water or feed for awhile until your completely dry give them a dry time to recover. No tip burn yet so thats good. Keep on growing! :d5:

Thanks for the insight and encouragement. I'm gonna try and work through the problems.
All 4 are getting the same amount of calmag (and other nutes). I guess maybe I should cook up a strong batch for just the one with the spots?

Gonna just let them be for a while after the flushing today. Hopefully they'll dry and out and bounce back

You're in coco so it's definitely not overwatering. Never flush coco with plain water or you'll flush all your calcium buffer out of it. What's you're ppm going in? If you're starting water doesn't have enough calcium in it, you're gonna need to add calmag to every watering... You should only be feeding about 500ppm, so 400-600 coming out isn't that bad

:yeahthat: It also looks like you need more red in your light spectrum to get a little more stretch.

They're standing and they're green, that's the main thing. The one on the front right looks real good. Definitely don't give up.

How often are you watering and how much each time? I've been growing in coco too doing high-frequency watering (5x per day during peak flowering -- but younger plants don't need as much, the main thing is making sure the coco doesn't dry out).

How's your light intensity? What kind of lights/height/wattage/lux/PPFD -- anything you can provide on that front?

And when you say pH of 400 and 600, do you mean ppm? Nutrient-wise, they're nice and green so that looks okay. The droopiness seems to be more indicative of watering habbits/environment.

Anyway, don't do anything drastic or cull this grow! We can get this sorted lol.

I’m in coco using General hydroponics (micro, gro, and bloom with armor si and CalMag) on my first run and so far so good. I’m feeding once a day every day on medium feed schedule but only adding armor si (2ml) and CalMag (1ml) every other day. Tap water and use PH Down to get to 6.0 before mixing. Armor Si goes first and mix then micro and mix then the rest and mix. I have 3 gal fabric pots and Tupur Royal Gold coco mix. Its my first grow so I have no experience or knowledge to offer, only what I’m doing. Hope it can help somehow! These kids are 17 and 24 days old
0CB7B497-ED2F-47E4-AF00-A7DFF3A9C583.jpeg

You're in coco so it's definitely not overwatering. Never flush coco with plain water or you'll flush all your calcium buffer out of it. What's you're ppm going in? If you're starting water doesn't have enough calcium in it, you're gonna need to add calmag to every watering... You should only be feeding about 500ppm, so 400-600 coming out isn't that bad

Ah crap, I flushed the front two with plain water last night to about 10%-20% run off. I'll make sure to not do that again.
My starting PPM is about 230. I use this feeding chart below and the PPM numbers have been pretty on point so far.
I'm on day 17 and the PPM of the nutrient mixture is about 600 before I feed it to the plants.
The only time I've measured runoff so far was when I checked the plain H20 runoff last night (400 on one, 600 on the other). I thought if the numbers came back way high I could determine that my issue was too much nutrients.
GH Feeding Chart.jpg

:yeahthat: It also looks like you need more red in your light spectrum to get a little more stretch.

Is that something I can add through supplemental fixtures or can I add it to the SpiderFarmer 4x4 board that I currently have?

How often are you watering and how much each time? I've been growing in coco too doing high-frequency watering (5x per day during peak flowering -- but younger plants don't need as much, the main thing is making sure the coco doesn't dry out).

How's your light intensity? What kind of lights/height/wattage/lux/PPFD -- anything you can provide on that front?

And when you say pH of 400 and 600, do you mean ppm? Nutrient-wise, they're nice and green so that looks okay. The droopiness seems to be more indicative of watering habbits/environment.

I've been feeding them once a day. I start them out with just a half cup focused at the base, then slowly spread out in a circle, but not all the way to the edges until a few weeks in. I've moved up to a full cup or more with the two on the right that seem to be doing better. The two on the left just won't drink and I haven't tried to force them yet (until last night when I flushed the front left one with plain water).

I run a 450w SpiderFarmer SF 400. It's been a 28" pretty much the whole time and I've adjusted the lux with the dimmer
Started at 5K. Moved up to about 10K by day 10. Currently on 35K
I have been running it 24/0 this time where as last time I was doing 20/4

Yes, darnit I meant to say PPM. Yes, I've been happy with the color. I underwatered and underfed my first run and they were very light and deficient for the first month. I guess I overcompensated this time.

By this point in the grow I'd like to be firtigating all of them, but I'm really scared of doing it to the ones on the left that barely even drink a half cup in a day.
Right now that front two (that I flushed with plain water last night) are still soaked. No choice but to let them continue to dry.
The back two (which got their usual 1/2 to 1 cup of nutrient water last night) are just about ready for another feeding.
Should I stick with the amounts in the the chart? Should I give them more than just one cup?

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!
20220620_161623.jpg

Last edited:
If it's just coco and perlite, with no compost, personally I would treat it as a hydroponic medium and never allow it to dry out, and water with nutrients to 10-20% run-off potentially multiple times per day. Think of hydro where roots are literally submerged 24/7. This whole 'allowing it to dry out' thing is more soil-business. I think you have a mishmash of soil vs soilless strategies at play here. Pick one or the other. Like I said, I'm currently watering plants to substantial run-off 5 times per day in my automated coco set-up, now that they're mature. When they were the size of your plants, I was probably watering with nutes to run-off (saturating the whole pot plus more) once per day, for Think it of it as watering the coco, not watering the plant lol. The primary concern with overwatering is starving your roots of oxygen. But with coco/perlite, this is not much of a concern once you have a decent root system built up.

cocoforcannabis.com is a good resource.

Just my two cents.

Having said all that, lots of folk seem to have zero issues treating coco like any other soil, so there’s that lol.

Last edited:
Ah crap, I flushed the front two with plain water last night to about 10%-20% run off. I'll make sure to not do that again.
My starting PPM is about 230. I use this feeding chart below and the PPM numbers have been pretty on point so far.
I'm on day 17 and the PPM of the nutrient mixture is about 600 before I feed it to the plants.
The only time I've measured runoff so far was when I checked the plain H20 runoff last night (400 on one, 600 on the other). I thought if the numbers came back way high I could determine that my issue was too much nutrients.
View attachment 1475114

Is that something I can add through supplemental fixtures or can I add it to the SpiderFarmer 4x4 board that I currently have?

I've been feeding them once a day. I start them out with just a half cup focused at the base, then slowly spread out in a circle, but not all the way to the edges until a few weeks in. I've moved up to a full cup or more with the two on the right that seem to be doing better. The two on the left just won't drink and I haven't tried to force them yet (until last night when I flushed the front left one with plain water).

I run a 450w SpiderFarmer SF 400. It's been a 28" pretty much the whole time and I've adjusted the lux with the dimmer
Started at 5K. Moved up to about 10K by day 10. Currently on 35K
I have been running it 24/0 this time where as last time I was doing 20/4

Yes, darnit I meant to say PPM. Yes, I've been happy with the color. I underwatered and underfed my first run and they were very light and deficient for the first month. I guess I overcompensated this time.

By this point in the grow I'd like to be firtigating all of them, but I'm really scared of doing it to the ones on the left that barely even drink a half cup in a day.
Right now that front two (that I flushed with plain water last night) are still soaked. No choice but to let them continue to dry.
The back two (which got their usual 1/2 to 1 cup of nutrient water last night) are just about ready for another feeding.
Should I stick with the amounts in the the chart? Should I give them more than just one cup?

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it!
View attachment 1475117
they look in ok condition to me bro wouldn't worry too much id just feed them again when they start to feel a little bit lighter so just check the weight of your pots

Back