Calcium Lockout?

Thanks for the feedback! I've more or less committed to building some kind of drip system at this point and I've bought myself some rain science bags. They are awesome! I really need to look at some designs. Sadly it's probably already too late on this current grow.
Have a look at the Cocoforcannabis.com site. They have an article specifically on building an automated drip system. You can buy the hydro halos, or as I did with my solos, make your own by drilling or punching holes in tubing:

IMG_1033.JPG

You will need the timer that they suggest, at least you need an electronic, not mechanical timer, and you need one programmable to one second interval adjustments.

Good luck with it. :goodluck:

I was curious about how the sensor on PH and TDS/EC meters fail, (or start to fail) and I guess based on your response it's safe to assume they start drifting and can no longer hold their calibration?
Sample size of one Apera here, but FWIW, my Apera has stayed in calibration (well, within 0.02 which is good enough for me) for over two years. It has never needed recalibration. What has happened though is that it has slowed down - it now takes a lot longer to come to equilibrium than it did new, and I read online somewhere that this is a typical pattern of gradual failure even if the sensor is well cared for. I will likely pick up a new replaceable probe before the next grow and keep it as a spare until the slow response of the unit becomes too much for my patience.

I store the sensor immediately when not being used in 3M KCL that I mix myself. - it has never dried out, not even close, not even once. I mix my own KCL because the prepared solutions are stupid expensive by comparison. An earlier cheap pH pen died in less than a week, I think in part due to brief drying out. The cheapies are not worth considering IMO.

Happy pHing. :pighug:

I store the sensor immediately when not being used in 3M KCL
Interesting. I had the worst drift and with Apera but maybe it was the specific units I was using. I also store in KCL.

Interesting. I had the worst drift and with Apera but maybe it was the specific units I was using. I also store in KCL.
Who knows eh. I think that the Apera is more or less as good as the Bluelab pen, and the probe is replaceable which was the selling point for me. Either unit seems more than capable. I learned my lesson on the cheap pH pens the easy way though. The cheapie died in time for me to ship it back free to Amazon for a full refund. Which refund was spent on the Apera. :biggrin:

he probe is replaceable which was the selling point for me
I looked at this and concluded that the costs replacing the probes wasn't much different that being a new Bluelab every 18 months. Since my recent experience is that the 18 month Bluelab timeline may not be accurate, I should probably re-examine those assumptions.

Last edited:
I looked at this and concluded that the costs relacing the probes wasn't much different that being a new Bluelab every 18 months. Since my recent experience is that the 18 month Bluelab timeline may not be accurate, I should probably re-examine those assumptions.
Unless you got the Bluelab for a better price than I could, I think Apera is a slightly better buy, but not by a whole lot. You need to amortize the comparison over more than one replacment, but I don't know how many. The main body of the Apera looks well made though and in theory it is submersible without damage, so short of screwups by me I'm pretty sure that it will go at least 3 or 4 probe replacements.

All academic though if I can't find a probe replacement provider. There is that little wrinkle. :biggrin:

Unless you got the Bluelab for a better price than I could, I think Apera is a slightly better buy, but not by a whole lot. You need to amortize the comparison over more than one replacment, but I don't know how many. The main body of the Apera looks well made though and in theory it is submersible without damage, so short of screwups by me I'm pretty sure that it will go at least 3 or 4 probe replacements.

All academic though if I can't find a probe replacement provider. There is that little wrinkle. :biggrin:
Awesome discussion here guys. Just to my two cents in. I concur with @Olderfart on all on points. I’ve been running a apera ph60 for almost 1.5yrs now recalibrated threes since I’ve owned and every time it hasn’t been off by more then what @Olderfart stated. Also it’s submergible experience talking I dropped mine in water rez accidentally one time. Still works great. I also have the EC60 now and love that as well. Not that @CannabisMingus is wrong bluelabs are a great meters. I didn’t a lot of research when buying mine. I felt the apera was little better quality. I think it comes down to personal preference.

also @CannabisMingus I have no experience with owning bluelabs. Not trying to say your wrong or argue. I would like a blue lab to compare readings. Just backing up what olderfart was saying

Awesome discussion here guys. Just to my two cents in. I concur with @Olderfart on all on points. I’ve been running a apera ph60 for almost 1.5yrs now recalibrated threes since I’ve owned and every time it hasn’t been off by more then what @Olderfart stated. Also it’s submergible experience talking I dropped mine in water rez accidentally one time. Still works great. I also have the EC60 now and love that as well. Not that @CannabisMingus is wrong bluelabs are a great meters. I didn’t a lot of research when buying mine. I felt the apera was little better quality. I think it comes down to personal preference.
So far, I have managed not the test the submersibility. As much luck as good management though, the risks are pretty obvious. :biggrin:

Back