Lighting Bilbo's Brief Guide to Choosing Your LED.

But if we want to have some real fun we could discuss the effects of solfeggio frequencies on plant growth or scalar waves

Reactions: A4
But if we want to have some real fun we could discuss the effects of solfeggio frequencies on plant growth or scalar waves

That is fun, but too hard to measure.

I like the PARs per Watt. Not perfect, but it is a good reference point. One simple number like an energy efficiency rating for a refrigerator. Then companies use the marketing department to explain why their numbers are low. "our refrigerator has an ice maker & french doors" And consumers can decide if french doors are important.

Can we talk about Trichome density? It definitely makes for pretty buds and I like it, but are there any studies showing that Trichome density is correlated with higher potency, higher THC content? I thought it has been pretty well established higher trichome production does not necessarily mean higher potency? But what about clones of the same plant. If we look at a White Widow stressed by lights to produce more Trichomes, does it have more THC compared to an unstressed clone of the same plant?

Similar questions about vapor, I enjoy thick clouds of tasty vapor... but if I remember correctly THC, CBD, and all the cannabinoids have no taste or smell. I don't need incense, my priority is medical properties. What kind of light gives more medicine? If a light costs 10% more, does it give 10% more medicine? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, right?

Last edited:

I like the PARs per Watt. Not perfect, but it is a good reference point. One simple number like an energy efficiency rating for a refrigerator. Then companies use the marketing department to explain why their numbers are low. "our refrigerator has an ice maker & french doors" And consumers can decide if french doors are important.

Can we talk about Trichome density? It definitely makes for pretty buds and I like it, but are there any studies showing that Trichome density is correlated with higher potency, higher THC content? I thought it has been pretty well established higher trichome production does not necessarily mean higher potency? But what about clones of the same plant. If we look at a White Widow stressed to produce more Trichomes, does it have more THC compared to an unstressed clone of the same plant?

Similar questions about vapor, I enjoy thick clouds of tasty vapor... but if I remember correctly THC, CBD, and all the cannabinoids have no taste or smell. I am not growing incense, my priority is medical properties. What light gives more medicine?
Well said. Likewise you could argue that a larger denser plant with more fibers doesn't indicate more potent medication. Another point to consider is the power of intention and its energetic effect on matter. Which is why i mentioned solfeggio frequencies and their effects on plants.

Here is an example

Reactions: A4

Can we talk about Trichome density? It definitely makes for pretty buds and I like it, but are there any studies showing that Trichome density is correlated with higher potency, higher THC content? I thought it has been pretty well established higher trichome production does not necessarily mean higher potency? But what about clones of the same plant. If we look at a White Widow stressed by lights to produce more Trichomes, does it have more THC compared to an unstressed clone of the same plant?

Similar questions about vapor, I enjoy thick clouds of tasty vapor... but if I remember correctly THC, CBD, and all the cannabinoids have no taste or smell. I don't need incense, my priority is medical properties. What kind of light gives more medicine? If a light costs 10% more, does it give 10% more medicine? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, right?

Don't ignore those Terps they are a fundamental part of the high not just a pretty taste. Here's and interesting video where the extraction artist adds extra Terps.

So Par per watt is about as useful as lumens per watt?

That is part of the discussion. Some say intensity is more important than spectrum. Some growers do well with strong 4200k fluorescent lights from seedling to veg, bloom, and harvest.

Some say spectrum makes a big difference, but I haven't seen numbers from large grows. Does a spectrum with a few narrow bands improve yield by 10% per watt. Does the THC weight also increase...or is the plant just 10% more fiber? There must be some larger growers comparing HPS and the latest LEDs with 50 clones under each type of light?

Maybe a broader spectrum is better, like sunlight. Mr A4 has got me interested in broad spectrum HPS with all that "wasted" sunlight spectrum. We certainly don't fully understand Marijuana and the 480 known compounds in it. Is a 4200k florescent (for example) tweaking the plant in ways we don't understand? With consequences we don't understand.

Female-Bodybuilder.jpg

Last edited:
Going back to a purely LED perspective...we've been involved with trials in commercial crops for almost 4 years now. In the glass house environment LED has been shown to increase productivity by around 12% using toplights alone as supplemental lighting, and between 15-19% using interlighting as well. If using interlighting without the toplighting the yield increase was around 9%.

That's it, that's all I can provide evidence wise for the case of LED over HPS in large scale side by side trials.

In enclosed trials the evidence points to less than 10% variance, and many of you are absolutely correct about spectrum, the science has said that plants can survive and thrive on blue and red, the idea being that you put all your power into the spectrum plants need to grow...FOR FOOD! However the science also says that in order for around 60% of plants to thrive and grow, tiny amounts of most colours are necessary...and UV research has been almost entirely not completed in almost all cases. We simply do not know exactly what UV has on plants in an enclosed space, what we do know is that UV has various different assumed uses for UV, amongst which is pest control, odour emittance etc etc etc.

What I can say from our point of view is that we have proved that (and we research for others remember) simply red blue for food plants that need vegetative growth is acceptable, and our standard chip does this more effectively than single diode products.

Our multi-coloured chip we could not effectively get all the spectrum that science says is advisable, so we searched for another way of doing it and came up with a phosphor dope. Our science guys, the chip setters science guys, all agreed on our spectrum, but we couldn't fund the development on our own, so our dope is our dope, a generic dope was released which is sold to lots of other vendors. Remember, our chip setter also produces chip for hundreds of other vendors, and the Chinese being the Chinese, rip this off and produce their own versions with substandard kit or hand soldered boards etc.

Again, our chip is proven against HPS and HiD over single colour and multi colour LED and most other forms of LED in an enclosed controlled environment.

This thread was about choosing an LED for "home" use, what we have and I'm happy to share data (as quite a few of you know now) about spectrum and power, and PAR measurements, we use most forms of lighting on a daily basis, remember we developed what we have, we didn't buy a product and box or badge it...I have the bills to prove it! I've given opinion, interacted where I can, and I refuse to be drawn into slanging matches over this or that. If anyone wants data, please ask, if I can, I will provide...but I'm restricted by what I can say in the forum (by the admins) and by contract.

Xagor, I'll answer your questions privately. I can't answer all of them in public.
Hubba Bubba, likewise
A4 you have my details...

Can I just add, something I just read...PAR spectrum is PAR spectrum...400-700nm, the point where solar radiation is strongest...that is what it is, and theoretically what a plant uses...HOWEVER PAR = PAR, no manufacturer can change PAR spectrum...

Sunny day northern hemisphere average PAR = 1800umols sq/m/sec./..spectrum is the one that shifts!!!

M

Last edited:
Don't ignore those Terps they are a fundamental part of the high not just a pretty taste. Here's and interesting video where the extraction artist adds extra Terps.

You guys wanna make some terp-champagne? ^.^
Good find man

Ive added terpins by using essential oils like lemon grass theres various ways to do it either like aroma therpy or injestion in a drink
Or i have in the past brushed it on tona joint and smoked it its a very lemon taste and its full of myrcene which is a terpene thats found in cannabis (amongst the other 143 other terps it can make) these terps are what give it the smell and the effect on you when you smoke it as different terps will cling to various brain reseptors and these allow the thc free passage.

I recently started taking lectithin tablets about 1 hour before i smoke and ive noticed i get higher on less cannabis and get a longer high from it

The terps are a big factor in the high imo
Ive also expeiremented with other essential oils and see what effects are
Like grape fruit. Gives an up lifting effect
While lemon grass is relaxing.

Back