Auto vs photo -- potency comparison

I grow for my wife who is a LONG time smoker with an insanely high tolerance. I started with photos and switched to autos (originally all Mephisto, but recently I'm branching out), she can't tell the difference. Taste and potency are very similar, the biggest difference is weight. Indoors and out, my autos are between 1/2 and more often 1/4 the size my photos were. Not really a problem, I just grow twice as many. I realize production weight wasn't part of the OP's question, but it remains the biggest difference between the two for me.

I grow for my wife who is a LONG time smoker with an insanely high tolerance. I started with photos and switched to autos (originally all Mephisto, but recently I'm branching out), she can't tell the difference. Taste and potency are very similar, the biggest difference is weight. Indoors and out, my autos are between 1/2 and more often 1/4 the size my photos were. Not really a problem, I just grow twice as many. I realize production weight wasn't part of the OP's question, but it remains the biggest difference between the two for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience bro. Very helpful. I dont mind the weight difference all that much. For 6-7oz+ per plant, in two months or so I am super happy with

Yeah you’re absolutely correct bro. I’ve done 4 grows now, all were really shit. But i go into everything with an open mind an experiment with everything until I get everything just right. My 4th grow I averaged 20oz from roughly 4 plants and they were great quality despite my harsh climate during the summer

View attachment 1389490

You got a journal on this? I'd like to see the setup etc.

On topic, all I can tell is if it was grown well. I've smoked so much bad weed in my life, I am happy with anything grown with care.

You got a journal on this? I'd like to see the setup etc.
I lost the majority of my journals as I lost my last phone. My setup was shit, but when you are able to dial things down in coco with enough lighting, and train them properly at the right time you will get much more. 240w kingbrite board, two mars hydro ts600s. I got around 7oz from a forbidden runtz, 6 and a half from another, and around 1 and a half from another that was literally a runt, and I over fed. Almost 6oz from my stardawg. My closet was super cramped. Those two plant strains yield well though. Most people screw up feeding, or try to train and don’t do it right because they tend to watch fairly bad growers on YouTube advising on how they do it. The foundations of my training came from Bill Ward on YouTube, from there I experimented many times with training and finally got my own twist on them. When I start my next grow, I may journal it and how I do things for YouTube.

01CCE5DC-7605-47BF-9797-9FF7487A6AE3.jpeg

This was the last pic I had. I’ll see if I can get a hold of more. But my entire closet was full of plants similar size to her^. So you can imagine the stress I had trying to finish the harvest. Especially in the summer. My environment was crazy at times with humidity

Last edited:
Personally I mainly grow photos as I can’t afford to run my bulbs at 18/6 all the time but as for potent difference….. there is none anymore. Autos have caught up loads the last few years. It all comes down to the strain and the grower these days.

Autos= sea
Photo= ocean

Seas come from oceans. Seas will never be deeper than the ocean by design

Back