Am I close to flushing?

Did you get calibration fluid and hopefully some storage sol'n for your pen? With proper care a pH pen can last a decade but all will need proper calibration fairly often to make sure you're getting accurate results. Some pens require 2 point calibration to be dead accurate but just calibrating to pH7 is usually enough. I like to do pH4 as well once in a while tho I use pH Perfect AN nutes most of the time so don't bother testing pH with them. My pen has a clear cap and I keep storage sol'n in it when the pen is sitting on the shelf for months at a time. It slowly evaporates but the salts in it are still there so I'll just add a little RO water to it to keep the dilution approximately the same. For long term storage it's best to let it dry out then soak in storage sol'n for at least 24 hours before using it again. I keep a spray bottle of RO water for rinsing off after use or calibration but NEVER let the pen sit in pure water as it will leach the salts out of the glass bulb and destroy the probe.

I never do the dark period before cropping. I take the top colas first then let the plants keep going for a week or more to let the lower, smaller colas ripen up and get fatter before taking them off. With my arthritis I only take as much off at a time that I can trim up in an hour or so in case my hands start cramping up and I'm forced to quit. For drying I put the trimmed buds into doubled up paper bags and keep down in my cool basement dumping out into a tray daily for the first week for maybe 30 - 60 min then back into the bags. If it's nice and cool like 45F during the winter I can take 3 - 5 weeks to get them dry enough tho still moist to put into tobacco cans for burping for another month. The first week or so in cans they need daily dumping out to air dry a bit to prevent mould. Bit of a hassle but the cure is really nice and the bud smokes so smooth.

The actual curing happens during the drying part with the burping more of an aging process like with wine. The pot need to be kept evenly moist for curing to happen. Once any goes dry it won't cure as the biological processes that do the curing stop in the dry portions. You can moisten it again but it's not going to cure anymore. I'm looking for a cheap used bar fridge to have better control over the temp and humidity for more consistent curing. The wife gets annoyed when everything in the fridge smells and tastes like pot. :)

Inattention to the process can result in mouldy buds and I've had that happen a couple times but it's small batches so not a great loss and a little mould doesn't hurt when it's made into concentrate for my own use. If it's all covered in white fuzz then into the compost or burning barrel it goes!

From this.

View attachment 1344908

To this. OG#18

View attachment 1344909

:peace:
Hey what's your method of trimming buds? They look beautiful

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG THEY LOOK LIKE EYESSS

That's because they are EYESSS! Bwwwaaahahahahah!

They hatched out so I got the scope out again and took some pics. They move like inchworms and was hard to get a decent shot. They chewed the hell out of that little piece of leaf in a day. Found none on any other plants and I looked really carefully at each leaf.

Caterpillar01.jpg

The eggs all hatched out now.

CaterpillarEggsHatched.jpg

Hey what's your method of trimming buds? They look beautiful

Overly fussy was how those got trimmed. Break down the colas fresh off the plant and snip out every bit of sugar leaf off each bud. Takes way too long and my hands are sore all the next day thanks to the damn arthritis. For now on only the best of the best colas get that treatment and the rest just gets a fast snip and into the freezer for making concentrates or edibles with. I don't smoke much anymore but take RSO and make CBD edibles like cocobudder or cookies. RSO really gets your tolerance way up there so kind of makes smoking it redundant for me. Get the effect but not that much of a buzz.

The more I grow the more to trim so kind of a double-edged sword there. :)

Overly fussy was how those got trimmed. Break down the colas fresh off the plant and snip out every bit of sugar leaf off each bud. Takes way too long and my hands are sore all the next day thanks to the damn arthritis. For now on only the best of the best colas get that treatment and the rest just gets a fast snip and into the freezer for making concentrates or edibles with. I don't smoke much anymore but take RSO and make CBD edibles like cocobudder or cookies. RSO really gets your tolerance way up there so kind of makes smoking it redundant for me. Get the effect but not that much of a buzz.

The more I grow the more to trim so kind of a double-edged sword there. :)

You actually have a rare set of skills, just not recognised in the 'official world'.

I would happily pay you to trim my harvest. Really.

I have harvest ;)

A harvest waiting for trim is the one part of growing I dread. One of the main reasons I grow my own meds is to treat my arthritis. Really bad in my hands so I only crop enough at a time that I can do in an hour so if they start cramping up I'm not left with a pile of pot that will go all limp by the next day and be a lot harder to trim.

What I really need is a wood chipper. :)

The website for your pen should have instructions on how to calibrate and clean if something didn't come with the pen like mine has but it was $70 and worth the extra cash. It's made by Eutech/Oakton and my previous one was just Oakton and was $125. It finally wore out and a new probe was $75 + shipping so cheaper to buy a new one.

You can just google 'pH pen maintenance' and should find lots of good links. Care and cleaning are the same for all of them but calibration methods can be different. Mine auto-calibrates to the closest standard being used. Stick it in pH 7 and hit the calibrate button and it goes to 7. Same when I use 4. Some have a tiny screw to make adjustments with bu that's usually with PPM pens which need calibration as well. The probe for those should be sprayed off with pure water and allowed to dry before putting the cap on. The opposite of how to store the pH pen.

Don't use a stiff brush to clean it. That glass ball is really fragile as it's so thin ions can pass thru it and is how it reads the pH. The little reference probe beside it is OK unless it goes all black then a 2-part cleaning sol'n should be used to get it cleaned up. Even when black the pen will still be accurate but really slow to settle on a fixed reading. Mines a lot faster than when it was before I cleaned it but slower than new for sure. Talking 30sec instead of 15sec so not a big deal and I rarely use it.

Thanks Man

I have this one but it doesn't work well with fresh bud and I prefer to trim fresh off the plant in stages tho may be swinging over to the hang 'em high crowd from some stuff I read recently about how doing it that way actually improves the early curing process and can give a better product without as much attention to detail as what I'm doing now.

unplugged-big.jpg

Back