Advice Needed. Medium/seedbank/Pots

GreenMersh

Just a guy and his dog.
Reaction score
Alright so I’m looking for the best and most fool proof options, as I am re doing a lot of my growing set up. I need to figure out what is the best and most simple soil for a newer grower to use on auto flowers. I’ve been using pure happy frog soil from fox farm, feeding with just Phed water and it has burned everyone of my seedlings it seems like, and eventually they have either died or been stunted really bad lol. I’m up for other mediums besides soil, maybe canna coco or something idk. Also, I was looking for a seed bank with reliable good genetics, I’ve got 3 different strains of autos from growers choice seeds and everyone I’ve tried either had mutuations, poor growth, or went 100 + days. I’m not in a legal state, but am in the US so I need something that ships there and will finish atleast somewhere around the timeline that is provided by the seedbank. The last thing is my Pots, me being a noob my first grow I bought 3 gallon clay pots from Walmart with only 1 decent sized drainage hole in the bottom and it has been a nightmare with these, hard to do any type of good LST with them, poor drainage, etc the list goes on lol. I’ve been looking into 3 Gal Airpots but I don’t know anything about air pruining,is there anything special you have to do with air pots when growing with them or? My current set up is a 32x32x63 ipower tent, 2 300w LEDS. Mars 300 and a viparspectra 300, 6 inch carbon filter and fan, 10inch desk fan and a couple tiny fans, Fox Farm trio Nutrients and Botanicare Calmag, also GH ph up and down, a cheap yellow Ph pen and a liquid Ph test kit as well. Any advice at all would be much much appreciated, thanks guys ✌✌ ( A picture of my first grow, NL auto still currently in flower I have a journal on it in the new growers section )

Attachments

• 146B611A-0149-418A-9181-970CCC972E63.jpeg
    146B611A-0149-418A-9181-970CCC972E63.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 76
I do hydro but have grown in just about every medium imaginable. I did organ for a while because of the ease. Promix was a nice neutral base. With a few amendments you can make it a water only medium, or feed with your nutrients from the start. Hydro like I said is what I prefer. I'm currently doing flood tables with 6 1gal pots. I literally fill my res, turn it on and let it do its thing. Change my res about every 10 days.

Air pots are nice, they allow massive root growth. You dont have to do anything special to grow in them. Air pruning is basically the root that pokes out of the pot will die off while leaving a healthy portion inside of the medium.

Herbies seed shop, the attitude seed bank, mephisto directly, or any other seed vendor we have on site for that matter. I know mephisto has stateside shipping and a few bigger name seed co also ship to USA. But for commercial seed banks I prefer herbies, or attitude. They have a huge selection, sell from 1 seed to 1000 have decent promos and freebies are always up to par.

I'm using FF soil right now and general consensus from here is it was the cause of issues I had, she was stunted. My friend @Gramps used Pro-Mix Hp for his last grows and they turned out great, I might use it for my next adventure....

Alright so I’m looking for the best and most fool proof options, as I am re doing a lot of my growing set up. I need to figure out what is the best and most simple soil for a newer grower to use on auto flowers. I’ve been using pure happy frog soil from fox farm, feeding with just Phed water and it has burned everyone of my seedlings it seems like, and eventually they have either died or been stunted really bad lol. I’m up for other mediums besides soil, maybe canna coco or something idk. Also, I was looking for a seed bank with reliable good genetics, I’ve got 3 different strains of autos from growers choice seeds and everyone I’ve tried either had mutuations, poor growth, or went 100 + days. I’m not in a legal state, but am in the US so I need something that ships there and will finish atleast somewhere around the timeline that is provided by the seedbank. The last thing is my Pots, me being a noob my first grow I bought 3 gallon clay pots from Walmart with only 1 decent sized drainage hole in the bottom and it has been a nightmare with these, hard to do any type of good LST with them, poor drainage, etc the list goes on lol. I’ve been looking into 3 Gal Airpots but I don’t know anything about air pruining,is there anything special you have to do with air pots when growing with them or? My current set up is a 32x32x63 ipower tent, 2 300w LEDS. Mars 300 and a viparspectra 300, 6 inch carbon filter and fan, 10inch desk fan and a couple tiny fans, Fox Farm trio Nutrients and Botanicare Calmag, also GH ph up and down, a cheap yellow Ph pen and a liquid Ph test kit as well. Any advice at all would be much much appreciated, thanks guys ✌✌ ( A picture of my first grow, NL auto still currently in flower I have a journal on it in the new growers section )

me alwayz give likez to picturez, no matter what they are, but especially when they're NL (hehe :biggrin:)

I'm using FF soil right now and general consensus from here is it was the cause of issues I had, she was stunted. My friend @Gramps used Pro-Mix Hp for his last grows and they turned out great, I might use it for my next adventure....

Yeah I used just pure Happy frog soil from FF and i feel like it burnt all my plants to a crisp when they were seedlings since I didn’t feed anything but phd water and no added nutes. I was thinking of switching yo Biobizz but I have to be certain this time so I don’t end up buying a shit ton of bad soil again lol. Here’s a couple pictures of what happened to my plants that were in FF happy frog, probably didn’t help that I had them in clay pots with only 1 drain hole. ( Tangerine Dream, and a critical Purple)

Attachments

• C2D4F3B6-5C24-4BF8-B910-D3520BA7AC27.jpeg
    C2D4F3B6-5C24-4BF8-B910-D3520BA7AC27.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 5B7EC768-8F84-41E1-B063-EA89CD83A872.jpeg
    5B7EC768-8F84-41E1-B063-EA89CD83A872.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 72
Yeah I used just pure Happy frog soil from FF and i feel like it burnt all my plants to a crisp when they were seedlings since I didn’t feed anything but phd water and no added nutes. I was thinking of switching yo Biobizz but I have to be certain this time so I don’t end up buying a shit ton of bad soil again lol. Here’s a couple pictures of what happened to my plants that were in FF happy frog, probably didn’t help that I had them in clay pots with only 1 drain hole. ( Tangerine Dream, and a critical Purple)

awww, poooor babiez (snifflez) were u able to save them at all :confused1:

I've never tried growing in poorly drained clay pots, but I think that is more likely to be your issue than Happy Frog.

Ocean Forest has a bad reputation, but it seems that Happy Frog is better regarded. I use Happy Frog frequently to start seedlings and to mix in with Coco Loco or Promix for transplant containers.
In any case, I definitely suggest going with promix and some fabric pots. Also read up about watering frequency and water stress. Lots of info here to be found via search!

Personally I've never had an issue with the Happy Frog product, however, it seems the FF Ocean Forest is a little hot especially for seedlings in my experience. I like to kiss a little Coco and extra perlite in as well.

For LST I enjoy the cloth pots. It gives me options to attach. I can use a hole punch in the material or binder clips.

I've never tried growing in poorly drained clay pots, but I think that is more likely to be your issue than Happy Frog.

Ocean Forest has a bad reputation, but it seems that Happy Frog is better regarded. I use Happy Frog frequently to start seedlings and to mix in with Coco Loco or Promix for transplant containers.
In any case, I definitely suggest going with promix and some fabric pots. Also read up about watering frequency and water stress. Lots of info here to be found via search!

Well I tried the happy frog in a different pot, a plastic one with more than enough drainage holes and that one had the worst damage of all, it started with minor burns that just kept spreading to eventually I came home from work and all of the leaves were torched completely and hanging all the way down. That was on day 25 I’m pretty sure, and was fed with just PhD water.

Back