New Grower Advice Anyone?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time growing my own medicine. I have experience growing vegetables but first time with herb. I figure I will describe my set up and hopefully it will give you ideas of some advice you may have for me.

I have 2 identical 4x4x8 tents, one dedicated to flowering photoperiods, and an identical tent dedicated for autoflowering and vegging photos. I have a 600w LED with a veg and a bloom switch with both turned on in the photo tent, and an 800w LED in the auto tent. I start each seed in Roots Organics soil in 3 gallon plastic bags. Growing as organic as possible so i only intend on using earthworm castings or plant based nutrients.

One of my first questions is about my electric. Im in the Caribbean so the electricity tends to go out every now and then, or turned off by the company to work on the power lines. These outages seem to last from 20 minutes to about 8 hours on any random day. Is there a way to make up for the lack of light during these outages and change in the plants growth? Security is a concern here for me now so moving plants outside isnt an option anymore. I have security cameras and an alarm and burglar bars and my place is hidden behind the apartment building, out of sight. Its just I have 2 dogs i love very much and dont want to risk someone having a reason to hurt them if they find out.

Another question I have is about plant health. If a plant experiences something like a caterpillar infestation, or drought, or wind claw leaves from fan, or all 3 of those, will that mean its harvest is instantly reduced forever or is there a possibility it can regrow and produce just as much or more flower if it was healthy from start to finish? What is an example of the difference between the harvest of organic grows and chemical nutrient grows?

Are there organic nutrients I should consider other than earthworm castings? Im on a tight budget right now but i am willing to do the research for future use.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks for reading

hi and welcome :pass:if the electric goes off 1 or 2 times a month shouldnt be an issue,if its 1 or 2 times a week that may cause some.running lights 24/0 may lessen harm if cuts are regular.
stay safe keep plants well out of sight,not worth the risk or possible hassles.
yes,yes and it all depends on how bad,when,where whats kinda thing.
organic v chemicals hmm thats a kettle of worms.
im from the cold pal whats in the shops here wont be the same where you from.
have a good look around if you get stuck or lost pop into live stoners or @ me like @Plantbased
good luck n keep er lit.
:pighug:

Im in the Caribbean so the electricity tends to go out every now and then, or turned off by the company to work on the power lines
Oh I remember those days. I spent a couple of years in the tropics and my first outage was 32 hours.
Security is a concern here for me now so moving plants outside isnt an option anymore.
I remember that as well. There was a guy that led young kids through what we referred to as "Crime School". Bars were on all windows and an alarm that sounded like one of those loud wind up alarms.

As far as the autos are concerned, you could run the lights continuously, full spectrum if you so choose. That's how did it when I was growing with mass built led lights. I often beat the published grow time parameters.

or drought, or wind claw leaves from fan, or all 3 of those
I get canoeing a fair bit, either from having my Autocobs too close to plants, or from low humidity.

@islandgrower is your guy! Seek the master out and you'll be a happy grower!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confidence but a master I am not haha.

Hey everyone, first time growing my own medicine. I have experience growing vegetables but first time with herb. I figure I will describe my set up and hopefully it will give you ideas of some advice you may have for me.

I have 2 identical 4x4x8 tents, one dedicated to flowering photoperiods, and an identical tent dedicated for autoflowering and vegging photos. I have a 600w LED with a veg and a bloom switch with both turned on in the photo tent, and an 800w LED in the auto tent. I start each seed in Roots Organics soil in 3 gallon plastic bags. Growing as organic as possible so i only intend on using earthworm castings or plant based nutrients.

One of my first questions is about my electric. Im in the Caribbean so the electricity tends to go out every now and then, or turned off by the company to work on the power lines. These outages seem to last from 20 minutes to about 8 hours on any random day. Is there a way to make up for the lack of light during these outages and change in the plants growth? Security is a concern here for me now so moving plants outside isnt an option anymore. I have security cameras and an alarm and burglar bars and my place is hidden behind the apartment building, out of sight. Its just I have 2 dogs i love very much and dont want to risk someone having a reason to hurt them if they find out.

Another question I have is about plant health. If a plant experiences something like a caterpillar infestation, or drought, or wind claw leaves from fan, or all 3 of those, will that mean its harvest is instantly reduced forever or is there a possibility it can regrow and produce just as much or more flower if it was healthy from start to finish? What is an example of the difference between the harvest of organic grows and chemical nutrient grows?

Are there organic nutrients I should consider other than earthworm castings? Im on a tight budget right now but i am willing to do the research for future use.

Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks for reading

Hey @Plantbased I am in the Caribbean as well . As you were told the tacoeing is usually causes by high temps and low humidity.
Photo plants would Not be bothered too much by the power outages as long as they are not in flower . With autos it would Not matter .
As for the caterpillars that should not affect harvest too much if affected whilst in veg .

You can always look into living soil or no-till

'Carpe diem et fumum veriditas'

Outages aren't an issue for the photos what so ever but if the autos are constantly losing daylight multiple times a week it can definitely stunt the yields but It would have to be pretty frequent and even then the photos will be fine so long as they get their uninterrupted 12 hours of darkness during flower. It'll be fine though the only thing you need to remember to do is to reset the timer after the outages or that will obviously change the schedule around which can harm them if repeated to often. I've also heard autos do not like light leaks same as photos so make sure you don't disturb the flowering girls during lights off.

Earth worm castings
Domite lime
Bonemeal
Perlite
Are a few good items to add into soil mixes. also starting a small compost bin would probably be a good idea too and you can add it like you would the EWC. They have tiny kitchen composters nowadays or you can make your own. Roots organic is a good brand though and should do you well just I'd add at the very least some dolomite lime and perlite to the soil mix to stretch things out and maybe use the rest as top dressings/teas when the plants become hungry in flower and need more bloom nutes.

Last edited:
Back