Adjusting PH, Practically Speaking

indicalla

Two grows and nine plants in the books
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto Sour Stomper and CDLC, Gnome Automatics Anvil, FB Northern Lights
I don’t know why I can’t figure this out with web resources, but I’ve tried a lot and now I’m just going to ask.

To what PH should I adjust water to correct a soil PH issue?

I’m on my first grow, in soil that’s mostly FFOF, and my seedling’s soil PH is too low. She’s showing what I believe are phosphorus and calcium deficiencies, and her runoff is reading 5.8 PH.

I want to get it up to 6.5 or so, and keep it between 6-7. I know how to adjust water to a target PH. I used PH down the first time I adjusted water, but I now understand that I need to use something organic and will use vinegar for down or baking soda for up in the future.

My question is, what should the PH of the water be to correct the issue? If my soil is 5.8 and I want to get it to 6.5, do I use 6.5 water? If yes, do I need to flush to get it there or is a normal watering okay? Or should the water be even higher to kind of average it out?

Thanks in advance for any advice here. I realize that one day I’ll think back to this question and roll my eyes.:crying:

My recommendation would be to start a convo about this with Man O Green. Honestly, any time I have had concerns about nutes, etc. I've asked him for input. Separately, I only measure the PH on inputs, never the PH of run off.

Edit: or add him to this thread.

My recommendation would be to start a convo about this with Man O Green. Honestly, any time I have had concerns about nutes, etc. I've asked him for input. Separately, I only measure the PH on inputs, never the PH of run off.

Edit: or add him to this thread.
He’s been so helpful already, I hate to turn to him every time I can’t figure something out! But okay, one more time: @Mañ'O'Green?

It’s so weird to me that this isn’t addressed in the articles and videos I’ve checked out.

Haha, I totally get it. Every time I am thinking, "well, I'll ask Man O Green," I can't help thinking he will start seeing me as a PITA.

We should not be having this conversation. Not because I don't love you guys :bighug: Because if soil is made correctly it will never have a PH problem. Generally speaking FFOF should have dolomite lime to buffer it. It is part of their recipe but their quality control is on walk about.

Just PH your nutrients to 6.4 and feed the plant. What is your starting water PPM. Don't worry about the run-off. You don't really want to try to alter the soil chemistry while the plant is growing in it. You could try adding a little bit of micronized Dolomite Lime but this is very risky.

Don't use vinegar or baking soda as PH buffers they are not persistent. They will not help in your situation. If you want to stay organic find and use use an organic PH up-down.

Never be afraid to ask me a question just be afraid of the answers :rofl:.

We should not be having this conversation. Not because I don't love you guys :bighug: Because if soil is made correctly it will never have a PH problem. Generally speaking FFOF should have dolomite lime to buffer it. It is part of their recipe but their quality control is on walk about.

Just PH your nutrients to 6.4 and feed the plant. What is your starting water PPM. Don't worry about the run-off. You don't really want to try to alter the soil chemistry while the plant is growing in it. You could try adding a little bit of micronized Dolomite Lime but this is very risky.

Don't use vinegar or baking soda as PH buffers they are not persistent. They will not help in your situation. If you want to stay organic find and use use an organic PH up-down.

Never be afraid to ask me a question just be afraid of the answers :rofl:.
Once again, super helpful. Thanks, @Mañ'O'Green. This post clarifies what I’ve read.

I watered yesterday at 6.4 and she looks better today, so I’ll just keep on keepin’ on.

I have been using distilled white vinegar to lower the ph of my tap water for awhile now. After reading that it is not persistent, I set aside two 1 gal bottles that I lowered the ph with vinegar. I tested both bottles twice a week over a two week period and the ph went up 0.1 in one bottle and the other remained the same. When I water I ph the water before applying, as in, I use it immediately. I grow in soil. I treat my tap water with Seachem Prime to remove the chlorine and chloramine. Maybe that has an affect on the ph not going back up. I don’t know. That’s ‘my’ experience with using vinegar. I haven’t had to raise the ph so not sure about baking soda.

PH up made with micronized limestone. Goes in and sticks around. Meant for exactly this.
16188031004152825835540961075347.jpg

Attachments

• 16188030810003446850515804352080.jpg
    16188030810003446850515804352080.jpg
    829.5 KB · Views: 24
PH up made with micronized limestone. Goes in and sticks around. Meant for exactly this.View attachment 1308836
Thanks, Arthur!

@Mañ'O'Green, I lied and have one follow-up question. On GrowWeedEasy.com, they state in regard to growing in organic soil: "Using an inorganic pH adjuster (like the pH Up and Down that come with most pH adjustment kits, for example the General Hydroponics pH kit) may actually damage your microherd (beneficial bacteria) and can set your marijuana plants back as far as nutrient breakdown / absorption is concerned."

Have you found this to be true?

Back