7 day old autos: 1 almost completely yellow while the rest are good

I would try to get a copy of your local water report. If they use chlorine for treatment, then letting it sit for 24 hrs should fix that. If they add chloramines, I believe you must treat the water (search AFN for how) to remove or else they’ll harm you plants.

While I know some (but especially living) soils can be more forgiving of pH variations, I would absolutely test your water to see where you’re starting regarding pH. Cannabis is very particular about the pH it requires to uptake nutrients.

Lastly: My first two grow attempts were complete failures because of the organic soil I bought (Kellogg, not Miracle Grow). When I switched to Happy Frog for my third attempt, I had happy, vigorous plants from day 1. Big-name “organic” soil does NOT guarantee that it is actually quality (especially for cannabis).

Just my two cents.

I would try to get a copy of your local water report. If they use chlorine for treatment, then letting it sit for 24 hrs should fix that. If they add chloramines, I believe you must treat the water (search AFN for how) to remove or else they’ll harm you plants.

While I know some (but especially living) soils can be more forgiving of pH variations, I would absolutely test your water to see where you’re starting regarding pH. Cannabis is very particular about the pH it requires to uptake nutrients.

Lastly: My first two grow attempts were complete failures because of the organic soil I bought (Kellogg, not Miracle Grow). When I switched to Happy Frog for my third attempt, I had happy, vigorous plants from day 1. Big-name “organic” soil does NOT guarantee that it is actually quality (especially for cannabis).

Just my two cents.
I do let the water sit out for atleast 24 hrs before using it to get rid of any chlorine, so I do not believe that is an issue. I will start ph testing the water as it really won’t cost me much extra time. As for the quality of the soil, I know the stuff I’m using isn’t top quality. It’s middle of the road soil that is easily accessible to me unlike happy frog or fox farms. What’s odd to me about it is the fact that the same soil from the same bag is doing very well for the 2 week old plant, but the others not so much. The only difference is I started the oldest one before I had the tent for 5-7 days.

I do let the water sit out for atleast 24 hrs before using it to get rid of any chlorine, so I do not believe that is an issue. I will start ph testing the water as it really won’t cost me much extra time. As for the quality of the soil, I know the stuff I’m using isn’t top quality. It’s middle of the road soil that is easily accessible to me unlike happy frog or fox farms. What’s odd to me about it is the fact that the same soil from the same bag is doing very well for the 2 week old plant, but the others not so much. The only difference is I started the oldest one before I had the tent for 5-7 days.

I had the same issue with access to FF soils as I live in rural US (until I found out an ag supply place happened to carry it in the spring - I bought a bunch then). I didn’t want to pay the exorbitant Amazon prices, but I would now if that is my only option. The results speak loudly and clearly for me.

I researched the soil you bought. First, the “2 months’ worth” of nutrients they claim will likely be a problem as autos will get N toxic in flower from the continued nitrogen exposure. Second, the “coir” may affect pH issues, as soil and coco coir have different target pH ranges for nute uptake. Third, the reviews indicate a lot of wood material that weren’t fully broken down. This can definitely impact your pH as well.

I am by no means an experienced grower, but I have researched cannabis soil issues extensively. Check your water pH. Check your runoff pH to get a general idea (my runoff in the bad soil was insanely high and is what finally clued me in to the soil being the issue).

Strongly consider finding a cannabis “approved” soil to use instead. You’ll save yourself so much frustration.

I had the same issue with access to FF soils as I live in rural US (until I found out an ag supply place happened to carry it in the spring - I bought a bunch then). I didn’t want to pay the exorbitant Amazon prices, but I would now if that is my only option. The results speak loudly and clearly for me.

I researched the soil you bought. First, the “2 months’ worth” of nutrients they claim will likely be a problem as autos will get N toxic in flower from the continued nitrogen exposure. Second, the “coir” may affect pH issues, as soil and coco coir have different target pH ranges for nute uptake. Third, the reviews indicate a lot of wood material that weren’t fully broken down. This can definitely impact your pH as well.

I am by no means an experienced grower, but I have researched cannabis soil issues extensively. Check your water pH. Check your runoff pH to get a general idea (my runoff in the bad soil was insanely high and is what finally clued me in to the soil being the issue).

Strongly consider finding a cannabis “approved” soil to use instead. You’ll save yourself so much frustration.
Agree with most. Except the N I flower. I feed reg nutes all the way through flower and no issues. They need N in flower. Problem with MG soils is how much of the stuff they put in their soils. Usually way too hot.
As far as ph'n your water I never did with soil until this grow and it has made a big difference. The run off doesn't concern me though. I'm with you thinking the mix of stuff in the "soil" has ph out of whack.

Agree with most. Except the N I flower. I feed reg nutes all the way through flower and no issues. They need N in flower. Problem with MG soils is how much of the stuff they put in their soils. Usually way too hot.
As far as ph'n your water I never did with soil until this grow and it has made a big difference. The run off doesn't concern me though. I'm with you thinking the mix of stuff in the "soil" has ph out of whack.
It is very possible that the soil PH is out of wack, but according to the company they claim it has a PH around 6. I do not have an accurate soil PH tester, so honestly I have no clue.

Back