Wienerwoods' Microscopy Adventure

Wienerwoods

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Reaction score
Oh boy. This one is exciting.

I've been wanting to grow magic mushrooms for a long ass time. As it happens, the planets kind of aligned when a distant relative sent me a badass, brand new pressure cooker. It sounds strange and it kind of is so we'll leave it at that.

At about the same time I also received a B+ spore print for free from a charitable local mycology enthusiast. I thought about storing it away for a while but then I realized it would be too long before conditions would allow for such a project again. And so I set out to gather the necessary equipment. Getting syringes was definitely something I won't miss. First I tried to get off easy and got the wrong kind of needles (ones you shoot up heroin with, I assume); the needles were tiny and the syringes were only 3 cc.
:doh:
Getting the right kind was a lot more involved. I ended up only getting one 20 cc syringe and a 2.5", 18G needle. By then I'd had enough and decided I'd go with what I have.

Tuesday morning I cut holes in a plastic container to make a glove box. My Dremel ran out of battery just as I was finishing up the second hole and I got lazy so I tried using a Leatherman and fucked up something epic. Fortunately the glove box was still usable. After that I boiled some pre-sterilized water (overkill much?) and filled the syringes. After a few hours they had cooled down and I proceeded to make the spore syringes. I wiped everything with 60% IPA, emptied the 20 cc syringe along with about 3/4 of the spore print in a shot glass, pulled the liquid back and forth in the syringe a few times and put the cap on. I used the last 1/4 of the print for a 3 cc syringe and stored that one in the cellar where it's cool. So much overkill, I know.

After making the syringes, I made the substrate:
1500 ml vermiculite
750 ml wholegrain rice flour
750 ml water
100g pouch of food grade gypsum

I had to use drinking glasses because I couldn't find any tapered canning jars anywhere. Europe... :rolleyes1:
There were 10 glasses, five blue 200 ml glasses and five clear 250 ml glasses. Once the glasses were loaded with the substrate as well as a dry verm layer, I put a square of aluminum foil on every glass, secured it with packing tape and put on a second layer of foil. The PC could only fit 7 glasses so I just normally boiled the other three for about 90 minutes.

And so... Tuesday evening, I was sitting where I'm sitting now, waiting for the sterilized stuff to cool down just a little bit more before I could proceed to inoculation. I was pretty nervous, for some reason even more so than when making the syringes.
Inoculation went pretty well. After sterilizing the box, my hands and all the tools I opened the cooker and moved the jars in the glove box (I did 5 at a time).
>remove second foil layer
>flame needle
>inject a total of three times through the center and to the sides (2 cc in each glass)
>cover hole with micropore tape
>replace foil
>repeat
Any stray vermiculite bits I would just wipe off the needle with a cotton pad soaked in IPA. I also wiped my gloves every few glasses.

It's now been exactly 5 days since inoculation. All ten jars have visible mycelium growing in them and the growth rate really is something to behold. No signs of contamination yet.

Next up is making a shotgun terrarium - which reminds me, HOW THE HELL can I reasonably expect the perlite to stay inside the terrarium if even the bottom is full of 1/4" holes?

Comments, critique and tips for improvement are more than welcome.

Awesome report and great process. I'm subbin in! I'm 3 days behind you so hopefully I'll see that white fuzz end of this weekend.

On your shotgun FC, use course perlite so that it cant fall through the holes as easy. More than that though I think it has to do with forces from all of the pieces pushing on each other which helps keep them from falling through. Like stuffing weed in a glass bowl with no screen... It doesn't fall through. haha.

Awesome report and great process. I'm subbin in! I'm 3 days behind you so hopefully I'll see that white fuzz end of this weekend.

On your shotgun FC, use course perlite so that it cant fall through the holes as easy. More than that though I think it has to do with forces from all of the pieces pushing on each other which helps keep them from falling through. Like stuffing weed in a glass bowl with no screen... It doesn't fall through. haha.

Awesome! Do keep me updated on your progress, I would love to compare!

The perlite that's available here is pretty much always 2-6 mm so I hope the water coated bits hold it together. I've always wondered at the Incredibowl where the bowl is pretty much upside down. Somehow it frustrates me because it looks like the weed would fall out because of sudden movements or if the pipe got hit by something :nono:

Same thing here; nobody really seems to question it but no one complains about any mess either which just makes me pull out my hair lol

Hey WW I'm thinking you are prob pretty close to full colonization now. Any updates on how they are progressing?

Things are mostly going really slow. The first (and so far only) jar to fully colonize has now been consolidating for 11 days as the rest have almost completely stalled. Why? I have no clue, it might be an excess of water, poor gas exchange, bacterial contaminations or some other stuff of which I'm not even aware yet. I also read somewhere that too many spores slows down colonization considerably. And there I was injecting spore porridge in my jars all smiling and shit thinking it's a good idea. :rolleyes1:

What I've done with them so far is move them in the closet with my grow cab where it's nice and warm, about 81F when the weather was shite and room temperature declined. This is where they slowed down and I flipped them upside down to try and get the CO2 out. After that we had a minor heat wave which made closet temps rise even as high as 90F. I took them out because it was too warm and flipped them right side up again (which seems to have helped but only slightly).

The good news is, every jar is still slowly colonizing, but very slowly. Think one grain per day... :sleeping:
I put dots on the jars where the mycelium was a bit less than a week ago and it's now spread a few mm further on each jar, some more than others.

I don't mind that it's taking longer than expected because I'm moving soon and it would be awesome if I could get all that out of the way first. Still, I'm trying to decide whether or not to remove the micropore on one of the jars to see if that helps.

Actually, imma do that right now. :hump:

Geez, talk about TL;DR lmao

----

UPDATE 19.7.

Moving the jars back to room temperatures seems to have invigorated them. Two more jars now seem to have finished colonizing and the rest are nearing completion at a nice pace...

...except the one I messed with the most, which hasn't seen much improvement. If I had to guess I'd say it's because I tapped the jar repeatedly against an empty roll of toilet paper to get the cake to detach and potentially trapped CO2 to escape. Goes to show that things like this will sort themselves out as long as environmental factors are in check.

Last edited:
It seems I've bit more than I can chew. What with the move and all this is going to get fucked up. But let's concentrate on the positive side of things -

SHROOMS FUCK YES!!! :yay:

After a few days of not checking the jars since I had decided that it's for the best and that nothing interesting is going to happen anyway, something interesting happened. Two of the jars had started pinning in vitro and, frankly, instant panic set in. The unexpected suddenness was terrifying. I then cleaned the vermiculite off the cakes and submerged them in a kettle full of water. Might've bruised them a bit trying to get them to stay under the surface but nothing to worry about I think. I now have to get the terrarium ready in less than 24 hours and we're in business. Shouldn't be too hard because I've had the materials lying around for a while now.

Some had mistaken the dry verm layer for casing. Rest in peace you poor bastards. :sad:

Back