New Grower White Widow Auto Flower Grow, Looking for Advice/Tips

It's ok to give it a good soaking once in awhile, so long as you don't keep it wet all the time. When I flush, I usually stick the plant in the bathtub and run several gallons through it over the course of 20 minutes or so. Usually (not always, it depends) I come back the next day and flush it again with a nutrient solution at about half strength. Then I let it dry out until it's ready for the next watering.

That usually works really well for me. But like I said, no telling whether it the right or best thing to do. Or whether I've ever even had the specific problem you're experiencing.

I'm sure they experience cycles of soaking and drying in their natural environment too.

Watering question...

I have 5 pants, all in 5 gallon pots, I watered yesterday and I used 2 gallons of water among them all, which is the amount I've given each feeding since flowering started. Does that sound like enough water in general?

When I water, I saturate it to capacity so its heavy and some comes out the bottom. Once it feels half the weight or less then its time to water again. Doing minimal watering with no runoff at all can cause buildup or make it go hydrophobic sometimes. It's helpful to keep from overwatering small plants, but once they really start drinking it's not necessary as the medium will dry faster. Just make sure the pots aren't sitting in the runoff.

Growing that strain I was using 5gal fabric pots like you, but with peat and perlite medium (hp promix) and bottled nutrients. In full flower like that i was having to water daily, or every 2 days at most and it took about 2 gallons per plant usually to get runoff. Ended up using a 25 gallon tote with a hose plumbed in just so i didn't have to keep mixing can after can...

Like rasterman said, I would water until a good amount of runoff comes out. If you stick your finger in there afterwards and find any dry patches that means your soil has gone hydrophobic and will take more watering over time to get it to soak in.

Once the plant uses that up and needs water again, i would give it a top dress or some bottled nutrients and water in.

Good luck :smoking:

Watering question...

I have 5 pants, all in 5 gallon pots, I watered yesterday and I used 2 gallons of water among them all, which is the amount I've given each feeding since flowering started. Does that sound like enough water in general?
I have a been putting a full gallon of water in #5 pots typically but it might depend on how often you water as well. I try to avoid watering too often, and am getting pretty good at waiting until not more than a day or two before the plant would start showing signs of stress because it's too dry.

Something else I learned to do last summer when I was having too much rain outside, was to stick my fingers into the hole at the bottom of the pot and smell it. If it smells like good, healthy dirt you're probably ok. But if it smells a little rotten or "sulfurous" (that a word?) then you've definitely got an overwater situation that needs immediate attention.

Last edited:
I have a been putting a full gallon of water in #5 pots typically, but it might depend on how often you water as well. I try to avoid watering too often and am getting pretty good at waiting until not more than a day or two before the plant would start showing signs of stress because it's too dry.

Something else I learned to do last summer when I was having too much rain outside, was to stick my fingers into the hole at the bottom of the pot and smell it. If it smells like good, healthy dirt you're probably ok. But if it smells a little rotten or "sulfurous" (that a word?) then you've definitely got an overwater situation that needs immediate attention.

3 bottles of water per plant, every 3 days. Sounds like I'm underwatering them by comparison. I've always feared over watering them.

As far as flushing goes, with the trellis in place, I can't move the plants. The fabric pots are sitting on the floor, the only run off I ever notice comes from the upper half of the pots.

Does anyone elevate fabic pots off the floor in order to allow better drainage right through the bottom?

I have a been putting a full gallon of water in #5 pots typically but it might depend on how often you water as well. I try to avoid watering too often, and am getting pretty good at waiting until not more than a day or two before the plant would start showing signs of stress because it's too dry.
3 bottles of water per plant, every 3 days. Sounds like I'm underwatering them by comparison. I've always feared over watering them.

As far as flushing goes, with the trellis in place, I can't move the plants. The fabric pots are sitting on the floor, the only run off I ever notice comes from the upper half of the pots.

Does anyone elevate fabic pots off the floor in order to allow better drainage right through the bottom?

I don't use them (dry climate) but was reading that you can flush by letting them drain out into the well/floor well and pick up the overflow with a sponge. I've done that once. It's a pain but gets the job done.

Having the trellis complicates things a bit when trying to feel how heavy they are. I never use them because I like to move my plants around and get at them for trimming and such.

You can set your pots on anything really, upside down plate or something. They make drain racks that fit in the pot saucers but anything of the right dimensions will work. I just used 2 different sized saucers with the smaller one upside down to put the pot on.
IMG_20220130_181055.jpg

Thats just an example lol, I would use something sturdier than that clear one.

Also, a shop vac works really well for sucking out the extra water and you should be able to reach under the trellis with the extension. Just be careful not to get too close to the healthy leaves lol, the suction will rip them right off
:yoinks:

Having the trellis complicates things a bit when trying to feel how heavy they are. I never use them because I like to move my plants around and get at them for trimming and such.

You can set your pots on anything really, upside down plate or something. They make drain racks that fit in the pot saucers but anything of the right dimensions will work. I just used 2 different sized saucers with the smaller one upside down to put the pot on.
View attachment 1414078
Thats just an example lol, I would use something sturdier than that clear one.

Also, a shop vac works really well for sucking out the extra water and you should be able to reach under the trellis with the extension. Just be careful not to get too close to the healthy leaves lol, the suction will rip them right off
:yoinks:

Too late to start now but I'm preparing for my next grow as we speak, I just ordered some pot elevators and saucers, could of diy'd it but my ocd needed everything to match.

Speaking of my next grow... its going to be more White Widow Autoflowers. Should I continue this thread with future grows or start a new one? Is that what a grow journal is for instead?

I have 8 babies right now. Germinated them on the 22nd, put them in the peat pots on the 23rd, roots started to show this morning, so I put them into solo cups with FFOF.

So, I have 2 tents going now. I got lucky last time I germinated 5 seeds and had 5 females, and the seeds were not feminized.

Too late to start now but I'm preparing for my next grow as we speak, I just ordered some pot elevators and saucers, could of diy'd it but my ocd needed everything to match.

Having a trellis was really nice this time around as it let me create a nice canopy and will certainly get a much bigger, better yield than previous attempts. But I'm thinking of trying to do some LST this time around, possibly try mainling as well.

Back