Grow Mediums What nutes do you hand watering coco growers use?

ItzSticky

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Just trying to do my due diligence on different nute lines.
All my prior grows were on organic FF soil and i was using their nute line too.
Was debating on continuing to use when i went coco but i think it’d be better to just get a coco specific nute line.

What do yall use?

In my rush to get started I bought General Hydroponics MaxiGro and MaxiBloom (not coco specific), and the only coco specific nute I got was Advanced Nutrients Big Bud (there’s a regular and coco version). I also got AN Nirvana and Bud Candy that state coco safe.

The main thing (to my knowledge) is you’ll need to supplement CalMag more regularly in your feeds due to the cation exchange capacity of coco coir…simply put it binds tightly to a lot of Calcium and Magnesium ions from your feed, which then obviously aren’t available for uptake by the roots. I used Gen Hydro CALiMAGic which also has a little chelated iron and feel it did the job FWIW.

Hello i use green planet 4 part hydro i highly recomend it
GP day 78.jpg

Happy growing you know it makes sense :smoking:

Floraflex. I rarely need to add calmag to my grows. Just a very small amount in the beginning. I've been very happy with it.

Brother Mendel at 50 days currently in my tent:

25D49CB3-8AA8-4B26-80D5-646F3BC7339D.jpeg

Previous run:

B9E19554-2A43-424C-BC17-965F918A6E3B.jpeg

Last edited:
The main thing (to my knowledge) is you’ll need to supplement CalMag more regularly in your feeds due to the cation exchange capacity of coco coir…simply put it binds tightly to a lot of Calcium and Magnesium ions from your feed, which then obviously aren’t available for uptake by the roots. I used Gen Hydro CALiMAGic which also has a little chelated iron and feel it did the job FWIW.

That's likely going to be more dependent on the nutrients used. Floraflex for example, at the dose I feed has enough Calcium (and Mag) in it to negate the need for any additional. Maybe a dash of it here and there if I'm feeling frisky. Mostly though when I make a fresh batch of my coco mix, I will water in some calmag at the normal dose - what is it 1 tsp per gallon for CaliMagic which is what I use as well? Anyway, for a brand new coco batch, I will water in some CalMag into the pot before the seed goes in. And that is pretty much it. I also wash out my coco after the runs and reuse a number of times. Had little need for CalMag on the ensuing runs, but once again, I will water some in before I put the seed in after the wash.

About the only thing I supplement these days is a little silica here and there. Which I find to be beneficial if you experience hot or colder temps. YMMV. But check the nutes to see if they have enough cal already. A lot of people overdo the calmag.

Last edited:
That's likely going to be more dependent on the nutrients used. Floraflex for example, at the dose I feed has enough Calcium (and Mag) in it to negate the need for any additional. Maybe a dash of it here and there if I'm feeling frisky. Mostly though when I make a fresh batch of my coco mix, I will water in some calmag at the normal dose - what is it 1 tsp per gallon for CaliMagic which is what I use as well? Anyway, for a brand new coco batch, I will water in some CalMag into the pot before the seed goes in. And that is pretty much it. I also wash out my coco after the runs and reuse a number of times. Had little need for CalMag on the ensuing runs, but once again, I will water some in before I put the seed in after the wash.

About the only thing I supplement these days is a little silica here and there. Which I find to be beneficial if you experience hot or colder temps. YMMV. But check the nutes to see if they have enough cal already. A lot of people overdo the calmag.

Very great points, and I did actually cut back on CalMag doses my last run because I noticed a lot of my nutes have Cal or Mag in them (especially the AN ones)…and have spaced CalMag adds even more so this run too. I guess my point was more in line with if the OPs FF nutes don’t have a lot of Cal or Mag it may need to be supplemented in compared to what was used in his soil regimen.

Very great points, and I did actually cut back on CalMag doses my last run because I noticed a lot of my nutes have Cal or Mag in them (especially the AN ones)…and have spaced CalMag adds even more so this run too. I guess my point was more in line with if the OPs FF nutes don’t have a lot of Cal or Mag it may need to be supplemented in compared to what was used in his soil regimen.

All good. I have zero idea what is in the FF nutes tbh. But seems like they enjoy selling more bottles, so there may be next to nada. I think as far as soil goes, there's usually a decent amount of Cal and Mag in most soils anyhow. At least Cal. Not sure what process the FF soils use when they make it. I started learning that from tomato grows years back. Blossom end rot has people dumping cal on their plants when it reality they're just overwatering. Same goes for peppers as well.

Some plants are sensitive to even a little CalMag and can show Mag deficiency/lockout. My last Strawberry Nuggets comes to mind. I always keep a bag of Epsom around just in case. I also mix a small amount of soil and vermiculite into my coco for a little more retention. So I am always on the lookout for calcium overloads.

Floranova, general hydroponic, GH
I decided to go with GH FloraNova grow, and FloraNova Bloom. Its a one-part solution so it seems simplistic.
Does anyone have any experiencing using this nute line?
I'll be hand watering my coco with this.

It's not coco-specific, but I've been using Dyna-Gro's one-part nutrients for a couple years. Foliage-Pro in veg, Bloom in flower. I use Pro-Tekt throughout for silicon (and as a pH up), and also add GH CALiMAGic for rebuffering reused coco or for especially calcium-hungry strains (the Dyna-Gro nutrients provide some calcium and magnesium), and otherwise add a little epsom salts for extra magnesium and sulfur.

All of the above can be mixed ahead of time and stored for a week or two without going off / pH drift, so typically I mix a couple gallons at a time once a week or so. I bottom-feed, so usually I just dump the pre-mixed nutrient water in trays once a day.

Back