The Cold Conditions Thread

I thought this year would be catastrofic but it looks like I´ll be having a bumper crop. The S60´s didn´t work out and the three extras I planted in July are flowering and only about 25cm high so the combined harvest will be like 10grs BUT I had one plant that autoflowered and gave a huge cola and nice sidebranches but it was from a loose seed in my seedbox so I have no idea what it is...other than dank.

But it´s the Typhoons that are saving the day. One is almost 2m high with heavy cola and sidebranches and the rest are also impressive! Semi-autos are great but these have been outdoors since May 1, and were grown indoors for two weeks before that, and still have a few weeks before full maturity -as long as mold doesn´t hit heavily.

"supercloning" might help handle the hurricanes better... in fact I wonder if you did many generations of a certain strain and always "supercloned" (i mean slight pinch back of tips) if that would eventually "acclimitize" it to having heftier stems?
120 days seems doable... thats wha a lot of the super auto sativa strains are supposed to be (i.e. Super Cali Haze)

120 days to 1/4 to half pound is killer... especially in the sativa arena! and from what i understand it allows time for cloning as well... definetly a benefit!

I have a concept in mind for "acclimitizing" strains with very precise temperature controls... so you could slowly over time force temps lower and lower.... find the breaking point of particular strains as well as acclimitize strains to colder climates... could even eventually turn down the light hours as well for extreme northern / southern hemispheres... :)
thoughts? ideas? lets keep this thread rollin!

I have in my hands a book called "Manejo Ecológico do Solo", its a brazilian production... I will try to translate it literaly so you guys can catch up some of the knowledge:

"Potassium
The vegetable's resistance to cold, dryness and diseases dependes, in large scale on a feeding with enough potassium.
In most of brazilian soils there are "suficient" potassium amount, varying from 1780ppm and 14200ppm. Only a sixth part of the soil have insuficient amount of potassium available.
On "wet" and warm seasons the potassium's assimilation become a lot higher.

According to the studies realized, the absortion of potassium is three times higher at 25°C than at 15°C. Absortion of nutrients also occur better when the pH is nearly NEUTER (7).

Notice that different vegetables absorb potassium differently, some species simply don't show any change when exposed to more potassium.
Also, when calcium is suficiently high, a positive effect of potassium may be observed. But if the soil is "strongly" deficient on calcium, there may be a lose of potassium running out trough the vegetable's root, weakening the plant A LOT...
"

In other words: a good soil, well-balanced may make a strain become much more resistant!

In the book they show areas of a cofe farm where there werent used fertilizers because there was no time and they had to start the crop... what happened is that in a cold night all the plants without fertilizers died... meanwile the fertilized area survived green and strong and the ground frost wasn't enough to damage them.

It seems that potassium is just linked to the resistance of the vegetable to cold temperatures... but of course, as the text said, pH and the rest of the compound itself also contributes!

So it's not only FINDING THE MOST RESISTANT STRAIN, but also fertilizing it correctly and harmonically.

It is a lot easier to kill a plant by overferting than by underferting!

Think about it!

What i can tell you first hand is that any and all commercial and non commercial autos based on the lowryder has the capacity to produce seeds all the way up to latitude 71 north at the north cape of arctic Norway.

It is remarkably cold resistant, just as if it originated in a cold land. ;)

What im saying is that dont waste your time looking for the most cold resistant strain, all autos are remarkably cold resistant, something i discovered during the 2011 outdoor season when i harvested fully ripe short term amnezias at latitude 70 north. Out of 77 plants and 17 strains that we planted out, none of them succame to cold, every one of them produced flowers.

I think automatic cannabis is an ecotype of cannabis that is native in a far northern region of this world where there is close to no darkness during summer nights. It is remarkably cold resistant, in fact its extremely cold resistant.

The first male always pollinates theory is SO flawed that i cba to give it any more attention, its borderline ridiculous.

I do have information that can help shed light on what autos are and where they came from originally, it is however a very looong and tedious affair to explain so it will have to be something i do piece by piece through this year.

Let me just first show you that there is historical evidence of cannabis growing in northern scandinavia. Here is a mapsection to a farm called "hampland" in a region of arctic norway called "Kvenangen". We have no solid documentation that hemp was actually grown here, but there is some circumstansial evidence, among them a boat from 850 AD recovered in the area where hemp rope was used to bind it. Place names with the word "hemp or hamp" exists all over scandinavia in all countries.

http://travelingluck.com/Europe/Norway/Troms/_800562_Hampland.html#local_map

zoom out and it will give you an idea of whereabouts this is in the world.

Now the region called "kvenangen" takes its name from the people that lives there, these people are called "kvens" and they migrated to the arctic coast of Norway from northern Sweden and Finland. The "kvens" was once a large and powerful nation that controlled most of arctic Europe including parts of Russia.

It is considered a historical fact that it was the "kven" people that brought farming to arctic scandinavia, and their descendants are today still the only culture that farms inside the arctic region. During the little ice age however (1650AD to 1850AD), the crops failed massively throughout northern scandinavia and the remaining "kvens" was forced to migrate. Kvenland was a country until approximately the 12th century. Many kvens moved south and have been integrated into different european modern countries, but some moved north to the arctic coast of Norway where there are some few thousands that still know the ancient language and still call themselves "kven". It is very much a culture that is in danger of disappearing completely, most people of kven heritage does not know about their history and does not call themselves kven. The ethnic groups in arctic scandinavia is today almost completely intermixed and only fragments of the ancient cultures remains. The natives in teh region therefor do not konw anymore if they belong to this that or the other culture, and yes there are many different ones.. everything from forest people, to farmers, herders and fishermen.. etc.

Its important to realize however that much of the farming culture that existed up until the little ice age may have been lost during these migrations, lost or mixed up with some other culture until its unrecognizeable.

I will write more about the kven people and why i think they was a cannabis farming people. This will take quite some time to explain, because we dont exactly learn in school about the ancient tribes of scandinavia so ill have to bring a lot of supplemental info to the table.

.. to be continued.

"The Baarseth boat".

The baarseth boat is an old boat that was recovered in arctic Norway at approximately 71 north, it is believed to have been built some time around 850 AD. Ok, what is interesting about this boat is that hemp was used to close the gaps between the planks. This is a method of boat building that is cheap compared to using iron nails. It was built using local wood.

The fact that the boat was built using local materials and looking at the isolation of the area at the time, it would be logic to presume that the hemp was grown somewhere in the region, possibly Sweden, Russia or Finland. It is unlikely to have been imported from far away regions.

So again we have circumstansial evidense of hemp growing in northern Scandinavia, but nothing tangible, we cannot say for sure where this hemp was grown. But if you follow me, i will try to add up enough of this type of circumstansial evidence so that the sum of it paints a bigger picture. What i think is that this hemp was grown by the kven people somewhere in north scandinavia.

some basic info on the baarseth boat here: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhildringstimen.no%2Flessak.asp%3Fnyhets_id%3D1198%26meny_parent%3D642%26meny_id%3D654%26hoved%3D&act=url

But what we can say for sure is that the cannabis plant was well known to people in northern Scandinavia in the period from atleast 500BC and up to the little ice age.

Sounds interesting! And it makes sense if we consider that the climate of northern Europe once was very warmer than it is now - vikings even practiced agriculture on Greenland, nothing you're able to do now I figure. Certain reptiles such as turtles etc. is said to have been living in northern Scandinavia before, then died out when the climate became colder. So your theory got some bones in it! Cool if someone were to discover that ancient landrace the "Kvens" were growing...

You're saying that all lowryder type strains do good at your latitude and aren't affected by the cold, do you mean they don't die or become sick from the cold, i e. they can withstand it, or that it doesn't effect their production at all? I'm growing under similar conditions in X close by you, the different "ryders" I've grown all produce bud, but I'd say the cold weather limits their full growth capacity. The climate is a lot milder in Norway, and if I'm right the leaves come out on the trees in April in northern Norway. I went to Narvik once in April and it was all green, whereas across the border on the other side of the mountains it was still freezing winter and ski season! So you have an early spring, and I believe that makes a difference.

hey glocalgrower :)

i would not suggest that they are unaffected by cold, but i would suggest that they have a very good cold resistance.

My method of growing in arctic norway has been by prevegging them for 2-3 weeks in 1 liter pots before planting out, the date for planting out is the first week of june, harvests in the last week of august and the two first weeks of september.

Arctic norway is quite cold, the last snow is usually not gone until the last two weeks in may, sometimes we have snow even in june. Average temperatures in my growzone is 10,7 C in july and 11,1 in august. We have full midnight sun from may 21 to july 23. I think that Narvik is not usually green in april, birch leaves usually start growing in late may. But you are right that the coastline is green much earlier then the inland regions because of the gulf stream.

My plants seemed to handle the cold very well, they are far more sensitive to cold rains and cold wind then if they can grow in a spot with relatively little wind and rains. The rains is definitively the worst killer. But naturally the cold does affect the growth speed and yield, but good preparations like keeping them out of cold rain and cold wind will help tremendously. Ive been saying for a long time that i will upload a comprehensive growlog with pictures from my 2010 and 2011 grows, but i dont have internet where i live at the moment and it takes time to make a good thread so im afraid you will have to wait for it a while longer still.

If you are in scandinavia i would advice you to not plant out until the last week of may at the earliest, and preferably preveg them for at least a week before planting out. The limit for where its possible to plant seeds directly out in improved native soil without prevegging goes somewhere around 65 north in scandinavia unless the conditions are especially good. There are some possibilities in the torneå valley and the surrounding areas aswell for planting directly out w/o preveg if you are a skilled outdoor cropper with good knowledge to local conditions and the limits of your plants.

My greatest advice would be to go to great lenghts to keep them out of wind and rain, they will handle dry cold much much better then wet cold. Southward facing slopes or spots to the southeast of a mountain or planting at the south side of big trees for example will help shield your plants from the cold and wet coastal winds in scandinavia. There is some skill involved in choosing the very best spot. Also choosing spots where the sun hits the spot at times of day when its colder will help, if you make sure that the morning sun hits your plants very early...

Things like this is essensial in order to produce a good outdoor crop beyond 60 north. Every little detail you can improve, every little improvement will add up in sum and make it possible for you to get a good result.

hope this helps, ill be more then pleased to share my experiences by the way so please if there are more questions, dont be shy :)

peace

Reactions: JM
Here is just one example on how you can use the terrain to your advantage if you have challenging climatic conditions.

The picture below is from my 2011 grow, on this spot i placed the bed under a rock outspring in a southward facing slope. This helped shielding them from all rain and they were completely dry throughout the season.

Another example; if the ground if frozen for a long time even after the temps have started rising above 10c, this would often be a problem in inland areas in canada for example. Then the remedy for the problem could be a treegrow for example, or using pots ontop of the soil?! Or finding higher ground.. etc..

planets1621.jpg

Reading the flora in the area is also key, here is another picture from my 2011 grow. I have here planted close to a wild population of strawberries, these are rare in my area so i knew this was a good growspot. You can tell on the leaf that these plants are healthy and not bothered much by the cold.

planets181.jpg

the point here being to try and turn the disadvantages into advantages, its the viking way of looking at it, never fight against nature... but rather use it to our advantage.

below: auto blue diesel, picture from july. you can tell that this plant is hardly affected by the cold at all, only in the sense that it grows slightly slower then it would if the temps was higher.

planets201.jpg

Very interesting stuff articsun! I live around 65N and ive had success in sowing seeds directly into the ground a couple of years ago (non af though). I think this was in late may/early june. I think i will try to plant my seeds just right when the nettles start to sprout, which is in early may when theres still snow in some places, just to see how they manage.

Ive read there was a finding not so long ago from a viking grave in sweden (gotland i believe) where they found cannabis seeds. I think it was from 500-1000 AD or something like that.

I think AFs from LR has a ridicilously short season, i mean my seeds were fully ripe almost 2-3 months before the snow came (pre vegged in my window less than a week), and i think IM pretty far up north :lol:

Do you think the super short flowering period of lowryders has been bred, or was it native in the original plants? The flowering time of Typhoon (which is semi-af, but some are true AF and has a 1-2 months longer flowering time than LRs) seems to be more "fit" to the seasons, at least in the middle- to southern parts of scandinavia.

EDIT: Almost forgot, Tanska who got the Typhoon seeds out on the interwebs has thyphoons running naturally, ie he leaves some plants in the winter and in the spring new seeds pop up by themselves when the snow melts and they start to grow. He lives in denmark though, where the climate is very mild compared to ours.

hey guys, dont have much time to sit down and discuss these things today.

just wanted to show you this:

http://translate.google.no/translate?sl=no&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=no&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnrk.no%2Fnyheter%2Fdistrikt%2Fnordland%2F1.8018587

yea yea i know, google translate sucks, but you get the drift of the article

i wish i could find some conclusive evidence of farming in the arctic earlier then what we think today... there is just so much we dont know yet about the far north!

Incase you didnt bother to read the last article i linked... it said that the norwegian coast was ice free during the last ice age, not only that it was covered by forests!

Amazing!!!

an article on agriculture in the arctic..

http://www.eoearth.org/article/Agriculture_in_the_Arctic

peace, sorry i dont have time atm to discuss these articles in detail, but all in good time :)

Back