Grow Mediums RDWC failure :(

Reaction score
Never realized this category was here!

Had two grows (see Jeano-O's forum) that I ran in an rdwc system. Everything was stable but the plants would get insanely big, start to flower, and then stall and continue to stretch. Like 6' tall autos with little fluff buds everywhere. Thought the first round was a fluke. Second round did the same thing. I've ran rdwc systems before but only with photos. Never had an issue.

Anyone else ever have this happen or maybe know what the missing link might be?

Never realized this category was here!

Had two grows (see Jeano-O's forum) that I ran in an rdwc system. Everything was stable but the plants would get insanely big, start to flower, and then stall and continue to stretch. Like 6' tall autos with little fluff buds everywhere. Thought the first round was a fluke. Second round did the same thing. I've ran rdwc systems before but only with photos. Never had an issue.

Anyone else ever have this happen or maybe know what the missing link might be?

Too much N in flower and what kind of lights are you running? It looks like there is a lot of red in the pictures?

The "tacoing" in the leaves is from an environmental problem Temperature/RH - VPD is out of the good zone.

Tag me with the answer about your lights.

Too much N in flower and what kind of lights are you running? It looks like there is a lot of red in the pictures?

The "tacoing" in the leaves is from an environmental problem Temperature/RH - VPD is out of the good zone.

Tag me with the answer about your lights.

The 2nd grow I used grow nutes at 1/4 strength, I figured the same thing. Then I figured it was the heat of the summer but the second grow was during the fall.

1000w and 600w HPS. I've since upgraded to spider farmers and moved into a 4x8 tent inside. Autos in 5g pails have been doing well. :) Maybe I'll replumb this system to grow tomatoes outside this summer.

I believe you will have better results with the LEDs. I have been working on a nutrient schedule for Autos for a few years. I don't think that any single formula will work for all strains (some defy the norms). This is what I am using in my current grow.

You need to get an EC meter and measure your nutrient strength because 1/4 strength is not a measurement just a guesstimate. You need to be precise in hydro.

Read my primer about using salt fertilizers and get a good grip on "Balanced" nutrients.

2023-01-12_17-00-14.jpg

B-vitamins from NPK indistries is 99% Epsom Salt and can be used instead. The soluble gypsum is inexpensive. Kelp is a must IMPO.

I had really good luck with DynaGro and House & Garden in DWC H&G is muy $$$$$$ but it grew great plants.

:goodluck:

I believe you will have better results with the LEDs. I have been working on a nutrient schedule for Autos for a few years. I don't think that any single formula will work for all strains (some defy the norms). This is what I am using in my current grow.

You need to get an EC meter and measure your nutrient strength because 1/4 strength is not a measurement just a guesstimate. You need to be precise in hydro.

Read my primer about using salt fertilizers and get a good grip on "Balanced" nutrients.

View attachment 1557388

B-vitamins from NPK indistries is 99% Epsom Salt and can be used instead. The soluble gypsum is inexpensive. Kelp is a must IMPO.

I had really good luck with DynaGro and House & Garden in DWC H&G is muy $$$$$$ but it grew great plants.

:goodluck:

Oh yeah, got the blue lab... Was using the flora nova line from GH. Ill keep it for a photo grow and tomatoes and ditch messing with the autos in it.

My last plant had a killer veg cycle and then totally bombed in flower. Super annoying. Was running new-to-me nutes, went to powder after running fluids. Def way too high PPM, wasnt as big of a deal with fluids tho. Also my damn ph pen was out of whack, spent the five bucks on a million paper strips. So much easier!

Surprised no nutrient company will take the time to put a one-pager on a website on formula to use for autoflowers in a 5gal bubbler. Seems super common and so damn easy to run for a novice/hobbyist. Autoflowers aren't a great play for a giant indoor commercial grow but so great for the homegrower.

Wasn't a total waste tho, the buds are ugly and scraggly but taste funky with great affect.

I doubt you're doing anything wrong.
Autos can get huge in hydroponics.
I've had 10 ft autos.

When a photo plant gets to be the right size, it can be flowered and kept to a reasonable size.
Not so with autos.

My last plant had a killer veg cycle and then totally bombed in flower. Super annoying. Was running new-to-me nutes, went to powder after running fluids. Def way too high PPM, wasnt as big of a deal with fluids tho. Also my damn ph pen was out of whack, spent the five bucks on a million paper strips. So much easier!

Surprised no nutrient company will take the time to put a one-pager on a website on formula to use for autoflowers in a 5gal bubbler. Seems super common and so damn easy to run for a novice/hobbyist. Autoflowers aren't a great play for a giant indoor commercial grow but so great for the homegrower.

Wasn't a total waste tho, the buds are ugly and scraggly but taste funky with great affect.

I lost a 6 plant grow 3 weeks from harvest due to a faulty cheap PH pen. Lesson learned! I only use BluLab and calibrate every 3 weeks. I have a Backup also!

Hydroponics is unforgiving but is great when done right. I would grow in an Earth Box with true living soil if I could move them in and out of the house. I have a bad back that will not allow that. Pumps do all my heavy lifting in hydro.

Many new growers to hydro get the transition and flowering nutrients wrong after a great veg start. It is a steep learning curve.

Some nutrient companies are begining to take notice of the autoflower world. A general rule of thumb is to use about 65% of the chart for Photos but this is just a starting point some need lees some need more. Just remember it is easy to add more and in hydro less is easy.t Damage to plants never goes away.

Back