Grow Room How's this setup look before buying? I'm new to growing.

TGN

New User
Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first time growing. I've been researching a ton and think I finally have a list together of what to buy and how I want to grow. Thought I would do a quick "how's this setup look" post.

Background info: I plan on growing autos indoors, and eventually photos. Live in a hotter desert location, but have whole house AC and heat. This is the setup I think I will be getting. Was going to start with a small 2x2x4 tent, but decided it would be better to go a little bigger to a 3x3x6 for the height.

My grow medium/style I plan on going with is hydro using hempy buckets with a perlite/vermiculite mix. Hoping to get 4 plants, in 3 gallons pots.

Equipment to purchase:
  • Tent - AC Infinity 3'x3'x6' - (debated a 2'x4' or 4'x4' also, but think that may be too big to start with.)

• Light - ViparSpectra XS1500, 150w, x2 - (went back and forth alot on lighting. I wanted Kingbrite but don't want to wait for shipping, so decided on this. Figure that 2 of these is better than just 1 larger one. This way I can spread the light around better, and if I do decide to get a larger tent later I can easily add on more lighting)

• Exhaust Duct Fan - AC Infinity Cloudline S4 4" or S6 6" - (Not sure which one yet. Leaning towards the S6, as I can run it at a lower speed and hopefully less decibels. Also, since I live in the desert, I may need the extra power to exhaust heat in the summer)

• Fan Controller - AC Infinity 67 - (Heard it's the better choice than the one that comes with the T4/6 series fans.)

• Carbon Filter - iPower 4 or 6 Inch Air Carbon Filter - (Still unsure on which is the best carbon filter. Definitely don't want any smells escaping the tent while it's closed. Suggestions welcome!)

• Ducting - most likely iPower, AC Infinity, or Home Depot - While I like the AC Infinity black ducting, tons of reviews saying it doesn't fit correctly. Not sure if there's a reason to get black ducting anyways. So may just go to Home Depot for it.

• Intake Fan - Nothing planned. Not sure I will need one?

If you see anything out of place, things I missed, other suggestions, etc... it's all welcomed! Especially for the exhaust fans and carbon filter part.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hi all. This is my first time growing. I've been researching a ton and think I finally have a list together of what to buy and how I want to grow. Thought I would do a quick "how's this setup look" post.

Background info: I plan on growing autos indoors, and eventually photos. Live in a hotter desert location, but have whole house AC and heat. This is the setup I think I will be getting. Was going to start with a small 2x2x4 tent, but decided it would be better to go a little bigger to a 3x3x6 for the height.

My grow medium/style I plan on going with is hydro using hempy buckets with a perlite/vermiculite mix. Hoping to get 4 plants, in 3 gallons pots.

Equipment to purchase:
  • Tent - AC Infinity 3'x3'x6' - (debated a 4'x4' also, but think that may be too big to start with.)

• Light - ViparSpectra XS1500, 150w, x2 - (went back and forth alot on lighting. I wanted Kingbrite but don't want to wait for shipping, so decided on this. Figure that 2 of these is better than just 1 larger one. This way I can spread the light around better, and if I do decide to get a larger tent later I can easily add on more lighting)

• Exhaust Duct Fan - AC Infinity Cloudline S4 4" or S6 6" - (Not sure which one yet. Leaning towards the S6, as I can run it at a lower speed and hopefully less decibels. Also, since I live in the desert, I may need the extra power to exhaust heat in the summer)

• Fan Controller - AC Infinity 67 - (Heard it's the better choice than the one that comes with the T4/6 series fans.)

• Carbon Filter - iPower 4 or 6 Inch Air Carbon Filter - (Still unsure on which is the best carbon filter. Definitely don't want any smells escaping the tent while it's closed. Suggestions welcome!)

• Ducting - most likely iPower, AC Infinity, or Home Depot - While I like the AC Infinity black ducting, tons of reviews saying it doesn't fit correctly. Not sure if there's a reason to get black ducting anyways. So may just go to Home Depot for it.

If you see anything out of place, things I missed, other suggestions, etc... it's all welcomed! Especially for the exhaust fans and carbon filter part.

Thanks all!

get a 4x4 so its not cramped
ac infinity makes a reversible carbon filter but vivosun is also a good option.. lasts about a year
6 inch fan

gl

get a 4x4 so its not cramped
ac infinity makes a reversible carbon filter but vivosun is also a good option.. lasts about a year
6 inch fan

gl

Ah yes, good thought. Have to see if I can find enough space in the house to fit it. Would a 4x4x tent still be fine to grow in with the 2 - 150w lights, if I keep the plants in a 3x3 area? Or even arrange them into a 2x4 area in the back half of the tent maybe. Anything else I would have to add, change, or think about by going larger?

Will check out those options for filters you mentioned as well. Thank you!

Welcome to AFN :welcome:

:greencheck:One item is a humidifier and an inkbird controller for the humidifier, or something similar.

:greencheck:Another is air circulation in the tent. A couple of fans moving the air will be needed.

:shrug:If you have the space, maybe go with a 4x4 as if you get a smaller tent and get the growing bug, :smokeit: you will be happier with the larger tent. :thumbsup:

Infinity is a good product for fans imo. I use a 4 inch in my 3x3, which is all the space I have for a tent.

:pop:And lighting.... if I were to buy new lights today for a tent, I would only be looking at strip led's, as the coverage is more uniform. Mars Hydro, which is a vendor on here, has some good lights at decent prices. The Migro guy on youtube did a par reading on one of their strip lights for a 4x4, and he gave it the thumbs up. He's reviewed hundreds of lights, and lets the numbers do the talking.

:eek1:With that said, the ViparSpectra XS1500 x 2 would work in a 3x3, but not the best coverage.

:biggrin:Maybe check out something along the lines of the Mars Hydro FC series to get an idea of what else is out there.

:dizzy:This is just my thoughts on this.

:joy:Have fun, grow, and do it all over again.

Overall, the equipment you need for ventilation will depend a lot on your specific climate, set-up, and the growth stage - so you'll probably be figuring that out and tweaking it throughout your first grow.

The one thing to consider now is whether you'll be exhausting to the outside, or to the lung room (i.e., the room the tent is in). Exhausting to the outside is probably better (if you can do so easily), but plenty of people exhaust to the lung room.

For tent size - bigger is usually better. You'll fill it up with extra equipment and want to stuff as many plants as you can in there, so let the size of the available space determine what you start with. I started with a 2'x4' for 4 plants, thinking they'd be ~12-in x 18-in tall. The strain I used turned out to be twice that, and now I'm limited by tent size.

Equipment to purchase:
  • Tent - AC Infinity 3'x3'x6' - (debated a 2'x4' or 4'x4' also, but think that may be too big to start with.)

Thanks all!
I have the home depot fan. It's a good fan but it's pretty loud. I wish I had gone with AC Infinity. Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to go 4x4, but don't think I have the money to buy enough wattage to light it. It would definitely be nice to have the extra room though.

I'll probably go with the 6" exhaust fan then, give me more headroom.

@Kyote good call on the humidifier. Where I live the relative humidity is an average of 24%. But can be from 13% up to 40%. Any good recommendations for a humidifier? And would I put that in the grow tent, or is it fine in the room that has the grow tent?

I was looking at the Mars Hydro as well. I really like that design layout for the same reason. It's a bit out of my budget unfortunately right now.

Hopefully trying to keep the equipment part of the budget at around ~$700 to 800. Adds up so fast.

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to go 4x4, but don't think I have the money to buy enough wattage to light it. It would definitely be nice to have the extra room though.

I'll probably go with the 6" exhaust fan then, give me more headroom.

@Kyote good call on the humidifier. Where I live the relative humidity is an average of 24%. But can be from 13% up to 40%. Any good recommendations for a humidifier? And would I put that in the grow tent, or is it fine in the room that has the grow tent?

I was looking at the Mars Hydro as well. I really like that design layout for the same reason. It's a bit out of my budget unfortunately right now.

Hopefully trying to keep the equipment part of the budget at around ~$700 to 800. Adds up so fast.

Yep, the $$ does add up quickly. As far as the humidifier goes, in the tent with an inkbird controller or something similar works well. I use this humidifier with this controller.

Amazon product

Amazon product

I would definitely go with a 6-inch fan, you don't have to run them as hard as a four and will give you better scent control and will be quiet. I own some fours, but won't buy one again. The mars fce3000- is 269 which is quite a bargain. Tents are like boats you always want a little bigger one. 3x3 would be a very respectable start. depending on how you grow and what strain, you could get 4 plants in there.

Overall, the equipment you need for ventilation will depend a lot on your specific climate, set-up, and the growth stage - so you'll probably be figuring that out and tweaking it throughout your first grow.

The one thing to consider now is whether you'll be exhausting to the outside, or to the lung room (i.e., the room the tent is in). Exhausting to the outside is probably better (if you can do so easily), but plenty of people exhaust to the lung room.

For tent size - bigger is usually better. You'll fill it up with extra equipment and want to stuff as many plants as you can in there, so let the size of the available space determine what you start with. I started with a 2'x4' for 4 plants, thinking they'd be ~12-in x 18-in tall. The strain I used turned out to be twice that, and now I'm limited by tent size.
First of all, we need to figure out how many Bruce Campbells or his characters are on this sight. I am running a lung room and then you can vent the lung room outside during high humidity or heat conditions. So I now do 3 fans intake, exhaust from tent, exhaust outside. In winter I don't have to go outside. Running a dehumidifier adds up quickly at 400 to 500 watts sometimes 24/7. Vented some air out I can drop the humidity some.

Back