HELP - 1st time growing in DWC = Multiple mixed signals issues.

labomba

New User
Reaction score
Good day Y'all.
About 4 weeks ago I've started growing in DWC and so far, pretty much nothing has worked as expected.
I have germinated 5 seeds with few days difference in between them just so I could correct issues that showed up on the first plants, all of them went on serious issues within the first 2 weeks, my last seedling came out decent but now is experiencing necrosis, tip curl and few burn. So for I will focus on the last one for now.

For starters, the set up:
Light: 2x Samsung LM301H 3500k +660nm +UV +IR (measuring by lux where the sun is 80k, ive started them out at 12k lux and slowlay increased to what is around 20-22k)
Water: Tap aired out coming out at around 130ppm
Temperature: 21 - 26 c
5gl Buckets (only 3.5 filled)
PPM: set at around 480 (2ml cal/mag + 7.5 GHmicro (Hardwater) + 15 GHbloom (Lucas))
Humidity always around 50-60%
PH: checked daily and kept on the 5.6 - 6.1 range, very rarely drifiting and needing adjustment.
Some H202 added and rez change recently as some slime showed up.
Clay pebbles and rockwool medium
Plenty of bubbles 24/7
2-3" distance from water to net cup

This should cover most of the techs.
Now to the fun part, EVERY plant has showed mixed signs. My first seedlings were germinated and planted in rockwool placed inside a bag for humidity, they developed very slowly. Opposed to my last 2 seeds, which had spent 2 weeks in a heated chamber and they sprouted MUCH quicker than the first ones. I've watered them with plain water for start and after couple set of fan leaves showed up, I started watering the rockwools with a solution around 400ppm (140 from tap) but only around 20mls of solution to each plant.

They all look okay until they are put into their buckets.
My first ones after only couple of days starting showing signs of what it seems to be overwatering, Very pale, broopy leaves and some tip burns that are eating the plant from bottom up, which tells me could be some sort of deficiency, but I don't think they would be showing deficiencies within couple of weeks of sprouting, its got to be something else. Overfeeding? possible, but Im going very conservative on nutes, even flushed one of them and introduced to a 350ppm but there was no development.
Since i've increased lights, ppm's are increasing, but I believe its from evaporation rather than a tiny plant with couple leaves leeching 50+ ppm within 24 hours.

This one is my #4, was the best looking but started showing brown spots, looking like necrosis, leafes turning yellow and a slight tip burn with it curling up, the new leaves growing don't look bad but my guess is that they will be soon.

This one and my previous ones, were all in the same environment and taking pretty much similar feeding and etc...
But the issues the previous ones showed were much severe, from week 2 leaves were dying, deformed, no coloration at all, despite having a nice long root string already in water. Ill post couple of their pictures as I think despite looking different, the issues are stemming from the same trigger, which i can't pinpoint.

This here is #1 and #2, #1 roots hit water pretty quickly and they are just over a week older than 4# but they never actually got to grow, very stunted with.... well you can see the pictures:

Can anyone help pinpoint an issue here?
I'm very suspect of my tap water (140ppm) but i've seen people using much worse stuff and not getting into problems as early as i did. I did however ordered an RO system which won't be here for another 2 weeks.
I live at an odd spot in Europe and much of the water used here is from rain collection/ RO or desalination.

I have no idea of calcium or mg levels, just that ppm is always around 120-150. I haven't fed the first one no calmag at all and they all ran into problems, added a bit of cal mag to them but it surely did not help.

#4 looks a lot like a phosprus deficiency but again, im unsure this should be happening at this age especially using Lucas Formula, there should be plenty of it. A consideration is that calcium and phosphorus act together inside a plant, so maybe an imbalance there?

At this point i can't even pinpoint if its a mobile or immobile nute doing this as the first plants showed issues from the bottom up wheres my #4 the issues were more porminent in the younger set of leaves.
As a fact ill only keep the #4 for now, as looks it can be saved, but with the others since they will die i can use for experiments to try narrow down my issue.

#4 roots, other two sick babies have roots in water but not half as long or think as this one:
1650807320438.png

im a noob, but my DWC buckets are totally flyin. my advice: stop foolin with so much stuff and maybe raise your lights. if your air pump isnt turned all-the-way-up 24/7 make that change. also some people swear by lights on 24/7 but i personally give the tent six hours of darkness in the meat of the day while natural temps are high.

good luck and ill be following this thread to hopefully learn some lessons from more experienced crew.

Back