Extraction Hash. Tips, pics and whatever.

@WildBill:

So dry ice, presumably as chips or purchased as pellets mixed in, works well to freeze buds and allow them to be broken up while deep frozen and brittle vs. breaking up at room temp. But what humidity level, how extensive drying is done before this?

I presume as complete drying as possible is better/best vs. having any free, non-strongly-bound water remaining in the buds? Is this correct?

I've only sifted a few times. But fully drying (and also decarbing) by putting buds in the oven at 220˚F for ~30 minutes and then breaking them up manually worked well (enough).
I go 250/30 minutes myself but I'm at a high altitude. It's my understanding that you want them as dessicated as you can get them.

Alright, I just smoke some of the first shake hash and it looks like I'm going to have to make at least one temple ball! Man it tastes so good! It tastes more like cantaloupe than mango to me, but it's great flavor! Wow!

Some questions about water removal from hash after sifting: [Note, my limited experience making hash has only involved dry sifting].

a) So freeze or other drying is done primarily with bubble (wet-screened) hash to eliminate excess moisture (and not done with dry sifted hash)?
b) But does dry sifted hash also need or benefit from post-sifting freeze or other drying (does dry sifted powder adsorb excess moisture during sifting)?
c) Is freeze (or other) drying done before, with hash powders, or after powders are pressed?
d) Is and what makes freeze-drying better, preferable vs. say lower-temp. oven heating; enclosing with a strong dessicant; slow gentle warming (such as put on top of router); or other non-freezing methods?
e) I recall that some mix in a small amount of water with sifted powders (dry sifted only?) prior to heating and compressing the hash. Is this common, and how does this fit in with the freeze drying-related desires to totally eliminate moisture?

Last edited:
Some questions about water removal from hash after sifting: [Note, my limited experience making hash has only involved dry sifting].

a) So freeze or other drying is done primarily with bubble (wet-screened) hash to eliminate excess moisture (and not done with dry sifted hash)?
b) But does dry sifted hash also need or benefit from post-sifting freeze or other drying (does dry sifted powder adsorb excess moisture during sifting)?
c) Is freeze (or other) drying done before, with hash powders, or after powders are pressed?
d) Is and what makes freeze-drying better, preferable vs. say lower-temp. oven heating; enclosing with a strong dessicant; slow gentle warming (such as put on top of router); or other non-freezing methods?
e) I recall that some mix in a small amount of water with sifted powders (dry sifted only?) prior to heating and compressing the hash. Is this common, and how does this fit in with the freeze drying-related desires to totally eliminate moisture?
I’m not a knowledgeable hashishin but here’s my go at your q’s:

a) Correct, it removes excess moisture from hash made from ice water extraction while preserving terpenes that would be lost if you removed the moisture by heating.

b) No, dry sift is already, well you guessed it…dried 😉 It can be jarred/cured or enjoyed right away in my experience.

c) You freeze dry the hash you collect from the bags, or if you don’t have $$$$ for a freeze dryer you can freeze it in a household freezer so you can microplane/sift it easier to dry evenly prior to pressing.

d) Terpene preservation to give a more “full spectrum” extract is the supposed advantage.

e) I haven’t seen that but again i’m new to this too, only done a few runs so far. All my hash has dried and cured before pressing.

Take a look at Frenchy Cannoli’s website, has all the info you’d ever need to dive into…enjoy! :thumbsup:

IMG_20230804_164904993.jpg

Finally got around to running my trim through some bags. Squishy squishy

Got a little over fifteen grams for my trouble. Rolled 12 into a ball and kept 3 for immediate smoking. Cleaned my hash pipe and everything.
IMG_20230810_162046522.jpg
IMG_20230810_162128055.jpg

Heh, think I might have rolled a little fiber into the surface. Oh well...

Back