Fixing Broken Stems

In our eagerness to do everything faster than nature intends we all have snapped shoots.

This one was a topped auto.
It snapped to a hang, just held by a sliver.

I put a silicone blister bandaid on it, and held it in position while I wrapped it tight

A week later, it's doing fine

you must do this immediately, time is of the essence.
IMG_20220324_054047.jpg

I unwrapped it to check today, then wrapped it back up. The bandage does no harm that I'm aware of if left on forever.

IMG_20220325_045258.jpg

Do you think this would have survived had I tried this? I think she was completely severed after a cheap clip fan fell onto her. I culled and kept it moving but I was pissed….
RA29iJz.jpg

Some snaps are fixable. I tend to snap the main stem by accident from training like two days in a row and forgot to give them some extra days to recover. I did it yesterday morning, taped her up with strong duct tape, and by yesterday evening she bounced back. If there is still some skin to the stem (holding it on), you have a higher chance of fixing it 4 sure

Once they're at a certain age, they'll (usually) recover fine. I like to just use green electrical tape to tape it up. The baby above that snapped from the fan falling on it...not so much.

Back