AK

Reaction score
So after a failed outdoor grow up here in AK (ended up scrapping the poor girls as to not bother neighbors with smell :/) Decided to try my hand at indoors. Only prior growing experience to this was 2 autos in a closet in my old apartment, which being the impatient little bugger I am they were chopped WAY to early. That having been said, I decided to try and do things right this time. To see what methods would work out best I am trying 2 heisenhounds in 3 gallon smart pots, using all home depot supplies (black magic coco coir mix, & basic nutes a + b). I also just planted 3 skyrone stompers, also in 3 gallon smart pots. These guys however, are using the same coco coir but with GBD's super soil amendment per the instructions (bottom 3rd is full strength, middle third half strength, top third just coco coir). All 5 of them also had great white mycho's added to the initial watering.

They are all in a 4x4 vivosun tent, with a 300w galaxyhydro led angled (from what I have read LED's don't disperse the light as much as MH or HPS bulbs, hence the angling instead of hanging straight up and down) as well as a 400w HPS bulb above them each set at 18 inches away. The HPS I have set at 50%, and will hopefully be having a inline fan, ducting and scrubber showing up in the mail soon to help with the temps and allow me to turn the lights up.

Also! Shoutout to Mephisto for including extra freebies with the soil as I had a confusing mixup with order / shipping details when I placed my order!
pics are of: 2 heisenhounds ; planted on 10/22/2016. They sprouted 10/24/2016 ; and one definitely seems larger then the other. They grew up 2-4 inches, and I placed more coir mix around the base/stems to about 1 inch from the leaves.

In the back: 3 skyrone stompers, planted 10/28/2016 being kept under seran wrap until they sprout.

Plans include getting 1 more galaxyhydro panel, this time a 600w and hanging from the third bar to try and cover as much of the tent as possible with light. More importantly is rigging up the line fan and ducting arriving later this week to get stable lower temps!

Questions I have so far: Is 81 F an okay temp for these little ones or should I turn off the HPS and just keep them all under the LED for now until I can dial in the temps to be a bit cooler? Also is 18 inches too close or should I have the led closer then the HPS? I also have to mist the tent 4-5 times a day to keep up humidity since the dry cold air brings it down to 20-30% over the course of the day, is this an okay method or should I look into moving a humidifier into the tent?

LASTLY! If i need to move this to the new growers section instead of the mephisto please just let me know!

IMG_20161029_170028357.jpg
IMG_20161029_170031758.jpg
IMG_20161029_170052608.jpg

Nice setup @AlexK , 81 is alright while in veg, but i don't think you need the hps yet. You should be fine with the led only till they get bigger. Save on heat and electricity for a few weeks. By then you'll have better airflow. I'd set the led around 16 inches from your babies, if they stretch move light closer. Glad you posted here as I'd never have seen it otherwise. Good choice in Mephisto. I'll hang out and watch your grow. Hope you get some nice meds.

I'll go ahead and do that then! For the LED was I correct to angle it? The first 2 weren't an issue as I could easily get them underneath it, I'm just worried the 5 of them may not get enough light under the 1 panel

Angle, no angle, isn't anything to worry about with babies. I angle my leds to help deliver light deeper into canopy, but you won't have a canopy for a couple weeks. When you get flowers popping, thats when you want more light. Vegging needs are less. I usually see pistils around 3 weeks from sprout. That's when to start boosting light. If they're stretching they want more light, just watch them and they'll tell you.

Thanks! Excited for them to fill it out a bit and hopefully see a grow through to the end!

An update: Still no fan in the mail, may just cancel my order and buy it somewhere else. In the meantime, tried using only the LED but the temps drop much too low, Had just the LED on for a couple hours and it got down to 58! Leaving the HPS on at 50% for heat at this point and the tent has been sitting at a comfy 77 F for the last week or so.

The heisenhounds are growing fast! I have 2 pictures from 3 days ago and the difference is huge! The Skyrone stompers on the other hand sprouted on 10-31-2016, and while the two on the sides have been doing well the middle pot took an extra day to sprout and has been much slower then her compadres.
11-3-plant1.jpg
11-3-plant2.jpg

And 3 days later!
heisenhounds.jpg

2 of the skyrone stompers are well on there way growing nicely as well, however the third (middle) one seems to be quite on the small and slow side.
whole group.jpg

Should I just be patient and see if she's a slower plant or should i think about re-germing another seed before the rest get too far underway? The Skyrones have had 1 watering since initial, while the Heisenhounds are still getting the 1/2 dose of Black Magic A + B & cal mag. Close up of the little sprout below!
sad little guy.jpg

Thanks! The HPS is now at 300W with an ambient temp average of 79-80. I the littlest middle sprout i ended up plucking as it was not growing, and sure enough the roots ended right where the stem met the coco. I have started germinating an auto blues and today it has sprouted. Group shot of all of them first, then if anyone has some advice I've got some wonky issues arising.
group shot.jpg

plant 1 sad leaf.jpg
plant 1.jpg

Does the bottom left set of leaves seem to be about to fall prey to discoloration as well? I have 2 fans in the tent blowing on full blast and FINALLY have my inline fan coming in the next couple days. Does this curling seem to be from lack of fresh air or could it be something else?

Other then this the 1st plant is growing steadily and showing no signs of slowing. The second heisenhound is shown below, and seems to have worse curling on one set of leaves, with minor curling on one leaf the others!
plant 2.jpg
plant 2 other set of leaves.jpg

Up until this point I have fed them 1/2 - 1 strength nutrients, and am probably going to water with more diluted next time in case it is being overfed. Additionally, I had tried increasing their watering frequency as i read COCO should be watered more often. However since the plants have had droopier leaves. Decided to revert to my old methods of watering every 2-4 days depending how dry it feels

TLDR: couple of odd curling issues, one sad leaf, and otherwise growing happily. Starting to stank a bit too!
Heisenhound: On day 19
Skyrone Stompers: On day 12

Looks like early calmag deficiencies. Coco seems to need a lil calmag to keep them happy. Maybe 1ml per liter. Especially if using RO water.

Thanks for the response! I had been giving cal mag with every watering in accordance to the bottle's instructions. I will increase it a bit and see if that helps!

Back