Lighting DIY 8X15W screw in build with some testing

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here. Some intro….I decided to set up a DWC lettuce/spinach grow as practice for weed once it became legal, so I built a 2’ X 4’ X 4.5’ grow box out of scrap wood. The greens take up most of the footprint, but I left a 2’ X 1.3’ space at one end for weed. I went with CFLs because the greens don’t need much light, and I didn’t know if I would be successful or motivated to continue, so I didn’t want to invest in a store bought grow light.

Once the weed end was set up, I used 8 X 23W CFLs (184W, 4 sockets, 4 two way splitters) for veg on one bank, and for flowering I set up another bank with a mix of CFLs and screw in 15W LEDs (globes off). I am using DWC in a 10 gallon reservoir with 4 spots. This is crowded, but to give more room, I set up a 2’ x 2’ scrog net and directed the plants over to the side of the reservoir, over top of the lettuce/spinach setup. So I need to light 2.6 ft2 for early veg, and 4 ft2 for late veg and flower.

This setup worked for 3 grows, but I was using over 300W for flowering, and generating quite a bit of heat. The screw in LEDs put out the light, but they were more of a spotlight than the overall light of the CFLs, so at close range they didn’t provide much coverage and were too strong.

So I read up on SILs, including posts by @Olderfart, and decided to ditch the CFLs. I modified one of my banks to have 8 sockets, and put in 8 15W SILs. These are 3000K and 1600 lumens, mostly Feit brand. First impression – wow, is that ever bright!!

DSCN2717 - Copy (Large) - Copy.jpg

DSCN2722 copy (Large) - Copy.jpg

According to cocoforcannabis.com, the recommendation is for 65 useable PPF per square foot. My main area is 2’ x 1.3’ = 2.6 square feet, so I was looking to target 169 useable PPF for lighting. From the calculator at https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/convert-lumens-to-ppf-online-calculator , and using Olderfart’s 20% increase in lumens by taking the globes off, I see that my 8 SILs should put out 269 umol/sec (average of high CRI and low CRI values for 3000K LED), which is equivalent to 197 useable PPF). So there is some light to spare.

I decided to run some tests with a light meter app. After looking at a few, I settled on Korona. No one thinks that a free app can replace a proper meter, but at least Korona has done some testing against real meters, which is available on their website.

So first I tested my 8 x 23W CFLs for a baseline. This figure shows what the app gave me for lux and PAR. Dimensions in the figure are in cm. I ran the test at a 22 cm distance. No one runs their CFLs that far away, but it’s too hard to read the results on the phone with the lights at 5 cm like I run them.

8 x 23W CFL, 22 cm distance - Copy.jpg

Then I tested my 8 x 15W SILs. I did one test at 22 cm distance for a direct comparison. As expected, the SILs were WAY brighter than the CFLs.

8 x 15W LED, 22 cm distance.jpg

I also did some limited testing of the LED setup at 15 cm distance, 30, and 50.

So are the numbers accurate? Hard to say. I sent the test results to Korona, the app developer, and their opinion was that the numbers were in the ballpark for 120 rated Watts of these bulbs.

Whether my test numbers are accurate or not, I have answered my three main questions:
-is my 8 LED setup brighter than my 8 CFL? YES, A LOT!
-is there good light distribution over the whole space? YES
-have I decreased the power consumption and heat? YES

The plants will have the final say…..

Safety wise, I put 5 minute epoxy on the two exposed contacts on each bulb. Although it's easy to pry off the whole plastic globe, I like the ones that I cut off because there is a rim of plastic that helps you avoid accidental contact with the contacts and LEDs. The whole setup is on a GFCI outlet.

Attachments

• 8 x 15W LED, 22 cm distance - Copy.jpg
    8 x 15W LED, 22 cm distance - Copy.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 42
Sounds great. Just for head scratching, my led setup needs to be dialed way back and kept at least two feet from the plants. These de-globed bulbs seem to be stronger than the numbers suggest. Right now, I have only seven bulbs per side screwed in, at about three feet away, and one of my plants still shows initial canoeing, and all of them are low and bushy with not much stretch so far.

So, I suggest starting with fewer bulbs and/or longer distance than you might expect to start with to see how your plant responds.

Good luck with it, and please tag me if you do a journal.:pighug:

@Frenchie27 :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: I started out with CFL. What a journey it will be Have fun! Grow some weed :pass:and share some time with us.

:goodluck:

Sounds great. Just for head scratching, my led setup needs to be dialed way back and kept at least two feet from the plants. These de-globed bulbs seem to be stronger than the numbers suggest. Right now, I have only seven bulbs per side screwed in, at about three feet away, and one of my plants still shows initial canoeing, and all of them are low and bushy with not much stretch so far.

So, I suggest starting with fewer bulbs and/or longer distance than you might expect to start with to see how your plant responds.

Good luck with it, and please tag me if you do a journal.:pighug:

Yes, good advice. I like how the setup can be tuned by removing lights and switching from veg bulbs to flowering ones. Right now I have mine at 30 cm above the top of the canopy, and am getting 645 PPFD, according to the Korona app. About the plants, their scruffy look is from before I switched to the LED bulbs. I got a bad case of root rot and had to bring them back from the brink of death. They missed out on the stretch, but at least they lived and will give me something. They are Dinafem White Widow CBD auto.
DSCN2723 - Copy (Large).jpg

These screw ins work a treat, and have a couple significant advantages in my opinion - not dependent on one ballast that can fail, and if anything does go awry, repair is easy and locally sourced. Not to mention about half the cost of the equivalent budget grow LED.

Looks like if you can limp them to the finishing line, you will get a decent harvest. Good luck with it. :pighug:

It never ceases to amaze me how when you think about doing something how someone else has most likely already thought it and most likely done it. Kudos on your build one question. Do you happen to know the distance center to center of your sockets?

It never ceases to amaze me how when you think about doing something how someone else has most likely already thought it and most likely done it. Kudos on your build one question. Do you happen to know the distance center to center of your sockets?
This diagram has the dimensions. I started with a 50 cm X 30 cm board, and placed sockets in the 4 corners. Then I played around with the positioning of the remaining 4 in a CAD program until it looked like the spacing was even. The sockets are 11.5 cm diameter.

light dimensions diagram.jpg

These screw ins work a treat, and have a couple significant advantages in my opinion - not dependent on one ballast that can fail, and if anything does go awry, repair is easy and locally sourced. Not to mention about half the cost of the equivalent budget grow LED.

Looks like if you can limp them to the finishing line, you will get a decent harvest. Good luck with it. :pighug:

Yes, my total cost for this bank of lights is ~$50 CDN :thumbsup:. I didn't find the bulbs on super sale like some; paid $3.40 each.

Not expecting too much for the remaining harvest. I am learning not to count chickens and buds before they hatch. I already harvested a Dinamed Kush auto from this grow, and it gave me a whopping 18 g of buds dry. Not up to its potential, but on the bright side, if it's 10% CBD, that's 1800 mg CBD that I didn't have before. Beautiful purple buds too.

The remaining plants (White Widow CBD auto) are bigger though, should get 25 or 30 g each; again not bad for plants that looked like they weren't even going to make it.

Back