Bob's Journey into Hybridisation and Genetics - For Dummies

Nice update Bob and good questions too.. :cheers:regarding the added flour, I believe the only reason that is used is like a sort of dilution to create more pollen/material to use. Even when diluted pollen is still very strong and viable to do good pollinations. So especially when you're a bit low on pollen its a nice way to create more material to work with.

For storing it and getting excess moist out I heard some breeders using rice. Best way to not have any issues is to make sure the pollen is dried properly and that you are using a sealed/closed container that isn't influenced by the external environment. Storing in the freezer is possible but comes with some challenges.

Some general info about pollen can be found here : https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/cannabis-pollen-how-to-collect-store-and-use-it-n1103

Ladies looking great mate, nice frost on the Double Grape cross, love that strain!:pop:

Take care mate! :baked:

Day 47 - Pollinating
Thanks buddy!! That was quite the interesting read. :cheers:

Today I decided to do a first pollination run. :thumbsup:
I first closed both windows so there wouldn't be any draft. Then placed the tray with the ladies in waiting as far as I could from the rest, which was by the door...
When I was settled, I carefully dumped a tiny bit of pollen on a piece of paper and then with the aid of a stiff children's paintbrush picked it up and transferred it to the bud sites by flicking the brush. This created a small cloud which settled over the buds.
1687195951724 _small.jpg

1687195951730 _small.jpg

1687195951737 _small.jpg

1687195951743 _small.jpg

1687195951747 _small.jpg

While writing this post I came to the conclusion that I forgot to pollinate the Mephisto's Wedding, so after writing this I'll go and do that right away :doh:
Speaking of which...The front lady is surely something special...Have a look at her. :thumbsup:
1687195951996 _small.jpg

She surely is a leafy girl, but have a look at that amount of frost!! And this is a bud from the lower parts... :woohoo1:
1687195951992 _small.jpg

One of these lowers will get a hefty dose of pollen :coffee:
1687195951987 _small.jpg

A nice top cola in the making. What more can a guy ask for in a lady ♥
1687195951752 _small.jpg

Next we have the Mephisto's Wedding x Coal Miner's Daughter and this one is just producing one massive cola.
1687195952023 _small.jpg

Below, there are just a couple of side branches, but these are also covered in pistils. :eyebrows:
1687195952018 _small.jpg

Mhmmm....Juicy!!
1687195952009 _small.jpg

And finally we have our Double Grape x Toof Decay...
1687195952045 _small.jpg

What do you think @Rasterman? Is she gonna fill out?
1687195952041 _small.jpg

Pistils everywhere. :dancer:
1687195952036 _small.jpg

Regards,

Bob :toke:

And finally we have our Double Grape x Toof Decay...
View attachment 1605595

What do you think @Rasterman? Is she gonna fill out?
@Bob's Auto's I've never seen a Mephisto strain grow like that, but I've grown other autos that did. The first time I saw it I was shocked and wanted to cut it down. But except for the lowers, by harvest time all that extra space was filled in. I think that's going to happen here. It looks like a Double Grape on steroids.

I'm on my 4th grow of Auto AK Triple Haze and it does that but it's a vigorous, tough plant that gives a good yield by the end.

@Bob's Auto's I've never seen a Mephisto strain grow like that, but I've grown other autos that did. The first time I saw it I was shocked and wanted to cut it down. But except for the lowers, by harvest time all that extra space was filled in. I think that's going to happen here. It looks like a Double Grape on steroids.

I'm on my 4th grow of Auto AK Triple Haze and it does that but it's a vigorous, tough plant that gives a good yield by the end.
Thanks for the confidence booster buddy :cheers:
I'm not going to cut it down, that's for sure, hehe. To curious how she's going to turn out. So much Indica in her...
Meanwhile I pollinated one of the lower branches on the Wedding and tagged that branch with a label. The day after tomorrow I'll be doing this all over again and that should be the end of it.
I still have more then enough pollen left over to stash away in the freezer so some long time storage is also in the foreseeing future. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the confidence booster buddy :cheers:
I'm not going to cut it down, that's for sure, hehe. To curious how she's going to turn out. So much Indica in her...
Meanwhile I pollinated one of the lower branches on the Wedding and tagged that branch with a label. The day after tomorrow I'll be doing this all over again and that should be the end of it.
I still have more then enough pollen left over to stash away in the freezer so some long time storage is also in the foreseeing future. :thumbsup:
I try to save pollen but it never lasts long because I end up throwing it on whatever is available.

I try to save pollen but it never lasts long because I end up throwing it on whatever is available.
I know the feeling..."It just could be that this cross will be something special." *dust dust dust* :haha:
But then, when are we going to sow all those seeds, right? :shrug:

#sharingiscaring

I hear ya! What i have ’told’ myself is:
I have some purchased bean stock to run through (mainly my Fem stock)… And…
I have 5 crosses that I Bob Ross’d my way into a ‘Happy Little Accident’ and boosted my seed stock into nesr infinity (at this current Lab config). and with the 2/3 (one male I had to contract Kull the Conqueror to perform a hit on) of my crosses in flower right now, im in a good spot for longevity.
All this to say, i will still throw my rod in the pond of free bean giveaways and contests and such my way into some free or maybe better some tester action CBD/THC hybrids kinda stuff while I run through my current stock. Ultimate win.

I have some purchased bean stock to run through (mainly my Fem stock)… And…
Don't we all. Just ordered myself a new organizing system to keep all the seeds I collected over the years stored in a safe way. The current one isn't big enough for me...:haha:

All this to say, i will still throw my rod in the pond of free bean giveaways and contests and such my way into some free or maybe better some tester action CBD/THC hybrids kinda stuff while I run through my current stock. Ultimate win.
Then I suggest you add a weighing post in your blog to finish it up. :cheers: Green fields await yous my friend ;)

Back