Are Grove bags actually good for curing?

Reaction score
Hello folks. The information I've gathered from this site has led me to be near the end of my first grow. My plant has maybe another six weeks till chop. I always like to be well prepared, so in this six weeks I need to gather materials to cure, and thus the decision. I have seen a lot of things about grove bags. However I also am acquainted with the glass jar burping method. Which would be better? I'm leaning towards the grove bags, but it seems people either love them or hate them. The haters seem to say that they are nothing more than well marketed Mylar bags. and not only can they not cure your buds, but they are far worse in performance than a mason jar. On the other hand, it seems like Grove bags do have a Cult like following. The people that love grove bags claim that they enhance flavor, keep buds at the perfect moisture, and can be used not only to cure, but for long term high quality cures such as 4 months plus. So to those of you that have used Grove bags before, are they a worthy purchase? More specifically, are they better than mason jars?

Hello folks. The information I've gathered from this site has led me to be near the end of my first grow. My plant has maybe another six weeks till chop. I always like to be well prepared, so in this six weeks I need to gather materials to cure, and thus the decision. I have seen a lot of things about grove bags. However I also am acquainted with the glass jar burping method. Which would be better? I'm leaning towards the grove bags, but it seems people either love them or hate them. The haters seem to say that they are nothing more than well marketed Mylar bags. and not only can they not cure your buds, but they are far worse in performance than a mason jar. On the other hand, it seems like Grove bags do have a Cult like following. The people that love grove bags claim that they enhance flavor, keep buds at the perfect moisture, and can be used not only to cure, but for long term high quality cures such as 4 months plus. So to those of you that have used Grove bags before, are they a worthy purchase? More specifically, are they better than mason jars?
I don't think I've been growing long enough to give you a solid answer, but I will say I've used jars when I first started growing a year ago on my first grow. They worked great. I had a solid plan of coming home from work and burping while I wind down from a work day. I found the thread here on Grove Bags and just bought a few to try out. No one recommended them to me, I simply went off of some of the most tenured growers on this website using them, as well as testimonials from actual industry growers saying the bags are legit. I gave away all of my jars except a dozen for emergencies to the sweet italian lady down the road for some homemade sauce. All I have to do is make sure I don't over dry my buds and throw them in the bag, put them in a dry/cool/dark place and forget about them. The bags work, simple as that. People on Reddit discredit GroveBags and never even used them. Some struggle with understanding there are many ways to skin a cat. Both methods work. If Grove Bags were just a marketing fad, they wouldn't be used industry wide.

So to those of you that have used Grove bags before, are they a worthy purchase? More specifically, are they better than mason jars?
IMHO absolutely yes. My cures have turned out much better and more consistent. Certainly easier. I have yet to have a bad cure with GBs. Trick is to dry the buds to 63-65% RH on a jar test before bagging. Some use a wood moisture meter (different metric). I usually include a hygrometer in the bag for the first 2 weeks to monitor, and if RH goes up or stays the same I open the bag for about 10 mins 2x a day until RH stabilized. HTH, YMMV, etc.

I don't think I've been growing long enough to give you a solid answer, but I will say I've used jars when I first started growing a year ago on my first grow. They worked great. I had a solid plan of coming home from work and burping while I wind down from a work day. I found the thread here on Grove Bags and just bought a few to try out. No one recommended them to me, I simply went off of some of the most tenured growers on this website using them, as well as testimonials from actual industry growers saying the bags are legit. I gave away all of my jars except a dozen for emergencies to the sweet italian lady down the road for some homemade sauce. All I have to do is make sure I don't over dry my buds and throw them in the bag, put them in a dry/cool/dark place and forget about them. The bags work, simple as that. People on Reddit discredit GroveBags and never even used them. Some struggle with understanding there are many ways to skin a cat. Both methods work. If Grove Bags were just a marketing fad, they wouldn't be used industry wide.

This is the exact reason I have been questioning myself about getting the bags. HIGHLY reputable growers, such as MOG have said that they have noticed a positive difference while using grove bags, but then spend five minutes on thcfarmer or reddit and everyone is slinging shit at them. I think I'll probably just go with the grove bags, but if I'm up for it I may run an experiment, bagging half my harvest with grove bags, and the other half in mason jars.

I think I'll probably just go with the grove bags, but if I'm up for it I may run an experiment, bagging half my harvest with grove bags, and the other half in mason jars.
Sounds great! Please do it and report back.

This is the exact reason I have been questioning myself about getting the bags. HIGHLY reputable growers, such as MOG have said that they have noticed a positive difference while using grove bags, but then spend five minutes on thcfarmer or reddit and everyone is slinging shit at them. I think I'll probably just go with the grove bags, but if I'm up for it I may run an experiment, bagging half my harvest with grove bags, and the other half in mason jars.
Thanks for the rep bro! :smoking:
Majority of the people hating on grove bags on Reddit still thinks calmag solves all issues :crying:

It’s a shame someone will judge a product that they never even used. Both methods work. I’m even reusing bags as we speak from my first purchase. Only bought new bags because I wanted the Terp loc bags.I also have boveda packs and jars put away for a rainy day. If you review both, I’ll be on the look out for your post!

Give me another 6 weeks and I'll let you know. I put my last harvest (109g) straight in there. I decided to skip burping completely based on my research.

It sure would be a game changer if these cut out the Burping regimen.

Another suggestion. Buy a bunch of different sizes for different needs. I can tell you the 1/4# bags are truly perfect for a 1/4#. You are only supposed to fill up 2/3 of the bag.

But, once cured I plan on breaking the amount down into smaller Grove bags that way I can medicate from a small bag and not have to open the others ones.

They claim you don't need humidity packs if you placed your buds in there in the 10-12% (I could be off a little here) just like you are supposed to do with Mason jars.

I'm not that brave. I put Zuut 62% packets in mine and they are holding steady at near 60%.

I put Zuut 62% packets in mine and they are holding steady at near 60%.
If I over dry I will bag with Boost 62s as well. Even if borderline. In my experience, grove bags cannot increase humidity as easily or quickly as they can drop it.

Back