DIY You may not want to use Carbon Fiber TIM pads on LEDs....

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
poking around in led forums etc, I came across this article. From my experience with high performance computers, TIM paste is the most effective thermal interface material anyway. Pads are simply easier to use. Now there is an even better reason NOT to use them:

Aluminum Coupled to Carbon Composite

Aluminum alloys are extremely vulnerable when they are coupled to a carbon composite. Figure 3 shows the anodic and cathodic polarization curves of aluminum alloys and carbon composites, respectively. It is clear that the rate of galvanic corrosion in seawater is controlled by the oxygen reduction reaction. What this means is that any condition that leads to an increase in the rate of oxygen reduction will cause an increase in the rate of galvanic corrosion. During the galvanic corrosion, a white, jelly corrosion product will be formed on the surface of the aluminum.

There is an assertion that the galvanic corrosion rate of aluminum could be mitigated by the anodization of aluminum and the formation of a thick, protective aluminum oxide layer on the surface. However, it has to be mentioned that in the case of a breach of the oxide layer by mechanical damage, the situation becomes much worse because of really high cathode-to-anode surface area ratio.

Galvanization can happen between many dissimilar metals. Your basically electroplating, its a transfer of metal from an anode to a cathode ( or vs versa, I don't remember lol ).

well in galvanization process on water they use zinc's. can that apply here in some manner as a sync of sorts potentially?

and in this case, carbon and metal. And think about it, flashlight batteries use to be basically carbon piles, prior to alkaline tech

yeah true,I was think on a different line,and when you said carbon I thought of my fiberglass and carbon bonding job I had and fabrication work LOL! work, never much of a metallurgist LOL!

Back