Yellow brownish spots

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a new grower and I have been lurking on this amazing site for a while, trying to learn as much as I can before actually starting on my first plant. Now to the actual issue.

Problem: I have been growing my first plant on a windowsill, while gradually introducing it to direct sunlight in the afternoon. However, I believe I have made some rookie mistakes already, such as putting the plant outside on a windy, not particularly warm day (13-18C) and giving it too much water (~1.5 dl a morning for the last 4-5 days) after being very conservative in the beginning.

Yesterday, I have spotted a small yellow spot, and since then a few more appeared. I also spotted a small bug crawling on one of the leaves, but I am not sure if he's responsible for the spots, or whether it is some sort of fungus (mildew ?). I am a complete noob so these are just my wild guesses.

Medium/grow method: Generic potting mix for flowers that I got at the flower shop.

Feed: and supplements used: None.

water source: Tap watered filtered with Brita.

Strain/age: RQS Quick One / 19 days since germination

light used: Sun through the window or direct sun.

Climate: Continental, nowadays around 16-23C at day. At night I bring them inside and leave them at room temperature with a fan blowing gently.

Additional info: I would love to know what is going on with my plant, and how I should deal with these spots? Should I just wait it out, or cut the affected leaves? I have not given my plant any water since I spotted the yellow dots, because I suspect it was overwatered already. It seems to be doing great since, besides the yellow marks.

See pictures attached, the biggest spot is on the left leaf. Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 16.01.08.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-07 at 16.01.08.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Is there any nutrients in the potting soil?

On the bag it says:
organic matter > 40%
N > 0.3%
P2O5 > 0.1%
K2O > 0.3%

These are weight percentages afaik

I took some more pictures today, after watering the plant for the first time since 3 days. There are no more spots since, however the bottom leaves are starting to turn slightly yellow, and the stem also seems to have a suspicious yellowish color.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.09.32.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.09.32.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.09.19.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 12.09.19.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 57
She needs some food mate, soil isn't enough... Start with dilute doses, then increase gradually...
The soil may be off pH too, so time to invest in a good soil pH probe like the Accurate 8 (CPW)... don't bother with those cheapo skinny-ass probes, or multi-meters, they are crap to the last.... Mine has served me well for years. No work around for this, regardless of what nutes you use, soil pH can drift off at any time, and it's critical in nutrient availability...

Thank you Waira! I ended up cutting those leafs as they turned 95% yellow and seemed to die off. New foliage looks healthly, but growth is very slow. I think the reasons are not enough sunlight and early overwatering. I will now also start feeding nutes as you suggested. I only have plagron terra bloom (2-2-4), will that work? Unfortunately I live somewhere with no grow shop close by and I am wary of ordering stuff online. Thanks for helping!

You could limp along with that, but you really need a dedicated grow nutrient.... Order through Amazon, nothing on the box to be suspect, and who the hell is going to scan the millions of orders they hump out every day? :smoking:

Back