Yellow bottom leaves

Reaction score
Problem:
Yellowing of the bottom fan leaves working it's way up the plant. I suspect a nitrogen deficiency.

Medium/grow method:
I'm using 70% Fox Farm Oceanic Forest and 30% Perlite.

Feed: and supplements used:
I've only fed her once about a week ago with 1.25mL of Calmag and 2.5mL of General Hydroponic Trio in a one gallon (3.79 liters) jug. I think the mistake I made here was mixing in the CalMag last when I should have mixed it first. I did mix the GH nutrients in the recommended order (Micro, Flora, Bloom).

water source:
I'm using dechlorinated tap water balanced at 6.4pH

PH in the root zone:
I have not checked. I do not have a tool to check the pH within the soil. Should I check the pH of the runoff?

Strain/age:
The strain is Banana Kush Auto and she sprouted on the 11th of July. She's just about a week and half into flowering.

light used:

The sun. My plant has lived outdoors the entirety of it's life.

Climate:

The climate here is considered coastal tropical desert. Weather has been pretty consistent, averaging at 85F / 29C @ 35-40% humidity during the day and 68F / 20C @ 70-80% humidity during the night.

Additional info:

I want to solve this issue before it gets out of hand. Here's a few pictures of the deficiencies. It's a bit cloudy this morning, but it should clear up in a few hours.
IMG_20210817_070055.jpg

IMG_20210817_070110.jpg

IMG_20210817_070119.jpg

IMG_20210817_070127.jpg

Is your Calmag also from GH? I believe it has N in it as well. The stuff I have is 1-0-0. I'm having trouble finding the discussion, but I recall a lengthy exchange on the order of mixture for another nutrient line. They prescribed adding the calmag last - for a lot of chemistry reasons that were way above my head. Anyway, when you mixed, did it look like everything combined? Any strange discolorations or solids in the mixture?

It's possible an imbalance of nutrients is creating a lockout scenario. An excess of one can look like a deficiency in another.

If this is the first feeding, it won't be an issue, but be sure to get a bit of runoff each time you feed. This ensures extra salts in the soil are washed out and do not contribute to a lockout problem later.

That all said, it could very well be deficiency based on higher demands in flower. Tough to know for certain without a ppm in/out test. I would check runoff and see where PPM are at. A cheapie PPM meter can help you validate what's going in, and you can check what comes out in runoff to determine what the plant is taking in and what's coming out. If your PPM in is less than the PPM coming out, they could very well be telling you they want more food.

A good pH tool will pay dividends if you prefer using bottled nutes and plan to do it for a while. It takes a lot of guesswork out of what's going on in the root zone. The Accurate 8 is a great option. Bit costly - I think mine was around $60 - but well worth it in the time it saved chasing symptoms around.

Last edited:
That does not look concerning to me.

Back