Outdoor worries about mold

S

sparrowhawk

Its my first time growing autos outside in my poly tunnel.I have grown for quite a few years now, all up til now it was indoors in a tent and even though i have got beter and beter with more success than failure, but i am still filled with horror when i think of the couple of times i had loads of bud rot. Its been brought to my attention that bud rot has been an issue in green houses and poly tunnels. I was thinking of getting one of them dehumidifiers run my extention lead and run that when the humidity gets a bit high especially at night to keep the moisture levels low avoiding bud rot. Has anyone got any views on this.? cheers:bow:

Yes, leave both ends of the tunnel open and you should be okay. The poly tunnel grows I've seen where they leave the ends all the way open to allow air flow have done fine. I took a plant into november in a humid rainy climate once by covering the plant from above with poly but leaving both sides open for air flow.

I can only open one end of the poly tunnel, but i can open four flaps as well one in each corner, will that be ok do you think? So do you think the dehumidifier would be a waste of money and over kill to the problem. cheers. sparrowhawk

I have no idea if that will be okay. Opening up only one end still leaves stagnant air in there. The reason for opening both ends would be to get the airflow going through. How large is this tunnel, are we talking a poly tunnel or a hoop house?

Its only a small tunnel its 2 metres high and 3 metres long so quite a small one in the big picture of things, just dont want all my work ruined by bud rot.

Its only a small tunnel its 2 metres high and 3 metres long so quite a small one in the big picture of things, just dont want all my work ruined by bud rot.

Hi there.

I have made a few modifications to my tunnel. I brought a dehumidifier which on a trial run the other night when the humidity was very high 95% got it down to 79% so had quite an impact on a very cold night. I have also put a intake fan at the bottom vent of the tunnel to give extra fresh air on still days. I have also put my 5" carbon filter in there just on stand by for extra air circulation and odour control if needed. though i have had to keep it lower down than ideal, it is laid on top of the pots with the out take going out one of the vents , plus a fan in the corner. I dont intend to put them on if not needed and use electric if not really going to make any difference than keeping everything open but it gives me a bit more confidense if i started getting humidity issues or odour etc, any input on my poly tunnel would be welcome. Cheers Sparrowhawk

Hi had another trial run last night with the dehumidifier still couldnt get the humidity lower with filter and dehumidifier on 78% last night. That is too high for flowering purposes.I am new to outside poly tunnel grows so could someone give me some advice. Is it the time of year and will it get beter? Do i keep the flaps open or closed at night etc. There must be some poly tunnel experts out there' Cheers Sparrowhawk.

Hi cheers for that.

You would think my dehumidifier would be more effecient than that product though as it is a pretty good one, cant understand why it wont do the job

Back