What do you add to the water in DWC for seedlings?

Reaction score
I am starting a new run in the dwc tent. I have a three day seedling (Mephisto Super Orange Haze) that has a good root hanging from the rockwool and I am going to put that in a 3" net and place in a 2 1/2 gallon bucket. Then when the roots get more abundant I will transfer that to my 6" net and 5 gallon bucket. I did this with my present plant and had great success so far. I just forgot to write down what I put in the water in the beginning.:sadcry:
I have Rapid Start and I use the AN PH Perfect trio and also the supplements. I am thinking a little cal/mag and rapid start @ 100 ppm ?
Thanks for letting me post and I am always grateful for the people here. You have always helped me out:bighug:

I thought I had a ppm guide for seedlings in my grow log but guess I dont. We can get close, though. Although seedlings can live for 7-10 days from the nutrients stored inside the seed, you can definitely have a more robust growth spurt & healthier plant by a low strength balanced nutrient blend for them.
If you are using RO water, it's very important to provide a good base of Cal-mag and silicates. These minerals form a solid building block for the plant, and greatly help stabilize pH in your nutrients. AN likes to brag about their pH auto-adjust stability; it's not magic. The main way they do this is through a healthy level of these minerals in their nutrient base. I don't use AN (General Hydroponics forever) so my experience has been that 2 mL of cal-mag and 1 mL of silicates, totalling about 150 - 160 ppm will insure some level of pH stability, and a healthy seedling.
In addition to those minerals, I use a weak blend of 1.25mL / gallon / each of micro, grow and bloom base nutes.
For root health I like to apply 1 mL of hydroguard, and I start 1/4 tsp (1.25mL) myco treatment applied directly to the roots as soon as they start a good thick growth out of your rooting medium.
For additives, I'm a HUGE fan of Floralicious Plus at 1mL per gallon from seed to harvest. I also love Diamond Nectar at 1.25mL per gallon, which is a humic / fulvic acid compound derived from leonardite. My yields have gone way up since i started using this additive.
Last additive is FloraBlend, a vegan plant growth additive with sea kelp, alfalfa meal, yeast, cottonseed meal & other ingredients that help root & plant growth during initial phases of growth. 1.25mL per gallon here too.
This formulat6ion provides a healthy regimen to start your plant on its way to a healthy root mass & prepares it for vegetative growth spurt.

Since youre AN, if I were to eliminate any of these, it would be cal-mag, possibly silcates as well (i dont know if they include that in their base formulations or not).
Regarding Rapid Start, that's one product of GenHydro's that Im not a fan of. While it's a good product, i feel its grossly overpriced for what you get. I use an old garden transplant standby, SuperThrive, instead. But I dont use it until I am transplanting from seedling to first grow medium.

I have a couple of older seeds germinating as we speak, hoping to get one of two to germinate for a next grow. As soon as that happens I'll revise my seedling formulations to include ppm's. Hope this helps, & good luck with your next grow!

Thanks a lot . She is in her new net and doing good! Thanks again

Attachments

• 20230122_183525.jpg
    20230122_183525.jpg
    900.4 KB · Views: 15
Now isn't she a pretty little girl? Bestaluck to ya!

Found my grow log notes for seedlings...
Starting w/ RO water, 0 ppm, after 2mL Cal-mag & 1mL Si, = 160ppm
After addition of grow, micro & bloom base nutes @ 1.25mL / gallon, ppm = 320ppm
After all additives as originally posted, = 345ppm
If youre not using RO water, check ppm of your hard tap water & start with that as your baseline. Your base nutes should raise that by about 160ppm.
Good luck with your grow!

With AN Ph perfect trio I followed their guidelines and ran 1ml/l for each micro,grow, and bloom during week 1. They have an app that tells you all the options

With AN Ph perfect trio I followed their guidelines and ran 1ml/l for each micro,grow, and bloom during week 1. They have an app that tells you all the options
cool thanks!

I was looking @ the app , Do I need cal/mag? What about silica, or is it one of theproducts listed? I have silica and Sensi Cal/mag extra , also I have GH cal/mag. How much do I need per gallon if I need to use it? Thank you in advance! This place rocks!

Back