Using my Soda Stream for healthier plants.

Tycho

I love growing
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
I'm a grower not a smoker.
I know that adding C02 to the soil is useless for the plant because they take in C02 through the leaves. To make a compost tea I use an aerator to aerate the tea so that aerobic bacteria can feed on it.

Now my question: If I used my Soda Stream to put C02 into the water for my compost tea, would that help it or kill it? I also have a huge C02 tank I don't know what to do with. lol

It turns out that a good tea will produce its own C02 as it ferments. But from what I've read, you aerate the tea for a few hours and use it right away. Old tea = bad tea?

I know that adding C02 to the soil is useless for the plant because they take in C02 through the leaves. To make a compost tea I use an aerator to aerate the tea so that aerobic bacteria can feed on it.

Now my question: If I used my Soda Stream to put C02 into the water for my compost tea, would that help it or kill it? I also have a huge C02 tank I don't know what to do with. lol
Also oxygen is needed for bacteria, I would say that idea was born from the good shit your smoking![emoji23]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This reminds me of that time I wondered what would happen if I water my plants with LSD water lol

yeah dont go gassing out your life man. dont add anything and old tea IS bad tea,yes. add nothing. if you have a tank for veg and flower use it to gas into your tent with a regulator. even boost it overnight as well. helps. but leave it out of your teas.

I was just reading something yesterday that could help put your soda stream to use. Lol funny I came across this.
Seltzer Sprays
"Plants. Can be supplied with CO² by spraying them periodically with carbonated water or Seltzer (salt-free soda water). Co² enriched sprays are especially convenient to use with small plants, such as seedlings, rooted clones, and small plants. This method is a bit expensive if you are buying soda water for large plants. Gardeners can lower the cost significantly by making their own soda spray by carbonating water using a kit."
From "Ed Rosenthal Marijuana Growers Handbook"
Also when soil, planting mix, and such hydroponic mediums as rockwool or coir are watered with CO² water (Seltzer), the dissolved CO² eventually returns to it's gas form and forces oxygen from the soil air spaces. Then the roots are starved of oxygen, which they need for respiration. Also from Book.

I also remember reading it has no effect at night, only when it's receiving light. Pretty sure during the dark period plants release CO² on their own.

Edit: ya during night time respiration they use oxygen and sugars and produce co².

Last edited:
yeah dont go gassing out your life man. dont add anything and old tea IS bad tea,yes. add nothing. if you have a tank for veg and flower use it to gas into your tent with a regulator. even boost it overnight as well. helps. but leave it out of your teas.
Great idea! I grow my seedlings in a shed away from the house, so the regulator from my mosquito trap will do nicely. The mosquitoes around the shed will be killer though, but might keep them away from the house! lol

I also remember reading it has no effect at night, only when it's receiving light. Pretty sure during the dark period plants release CO² on their own.

Edit: ya during night time respiration they use oxygen and sugars and produce co².
D'oh!
I knew that at one time in my life. The CO2 would also kill the micro in the tea so....

Chalk up one more dead end idea. But something good did come out of it. (Thanks EoF!).

Back