Indoor Thinking of buying a carbon filter?

Oldbie

Hippy-in-disguise
Reaction score
I have never used one of these, but brief forays onto online catalogues surprised me with the prices I saw.
I read in Jorge Cervantes indoor bible that ionisers help with odour. I have had an ioniser for years; they change the electrical charge in the air and zap remove micro particles of dust and dirt from floating around and stick them to a surface near where the ioniser is located. they are cheap enough, use almost no electricity and from my experience with a small grow space, VERY EFFECTIVE. if you are balking at the price of a carbon filter, consider an ioniser, or take a look at Iampepe's "DIY carbon scrubber".

Last edited:
Ionic air cleaners work well but they pose two problems. 1. The odor they put off does mask the scent of weed however it's a smell that that can key off the po-po. The air smells charged.
2. They aren't exactly healthy. Especially for small children and pets. Negatively charged ion's fall to the ground and collect. Even though you can't see them, they are there.

WebMd and other sites have some good information of the risks of using an ionizer.

They suggest using a air filter and regular vacuuming when you use a ionizer. If your going to have to filter the air anyways might as well go with a quality carbon scrubber and skip the ionizer. :2cents:

I am using a carbon scrubber and I like it. With in minutes of kicking it on the air clears up. I planned on only turning it on only when they get stinky but it's on 24/7 anymore. :thumbsup:

An Ioniser will *help* with the odour but not eradicate it!

A good carbon filter isn't cheap... but neither is a new front door when the pigs come a knocking :(
bad experience???

Reactions: M_C
Ionic air cleaners work well but they pose two problems. 1. The odor they put off does mask the scent of weed however it's a smell that that can key off the po-po. The air smells charged.
2. They aren't exactly healthy. Especially for small children and pets. Negatively charged ion's fall to the ground and collect. Even though you can't see them, they are there.

WebMd and other sites have some good information of the risks of using an ionizer.

They suggest using a air filter and regular vacuuming when you use a ionizer. If your going to have to filter the air anyways might as well go with a quality carbon scrubber and skip the ionizer. :2cents:

I am using a carbon scrubber and I like it. With in minutes of kicking it on the air clears up. I planned on only turning it on only when they get stinky but it's on 24/7 anymore. :thumbsup:

thanks for that Bromeo; first I heard of any doubt about ionisers. they absolutely do take the crap out of the air and zap it to the nearest surface; I ve had lots of darkening of nearby surfaces over the years to prove it. as for the ozone they produce, well on a standard small unit there is virtually no smell, whereas I believe ozone generators (another anti-odour strategy which apparently does have health implications) do have the tell-tale/tip off distinctive smell. my little unit is definitely taking care of the odour, so I am sticking with it. I had it lying around anyway and it uses virtually no power.

Back