Indoor SWICK Indoor Organic Watering System!!!

Reaction score
Found this while researching watering for organic cannabis in Living Organic Soil. I will probably be using it in my next run since the wet to dry cycles are not ideal for living soil. With this method you can essentiall fill your basins and let the plant water its self as needed and is great for folks who may be required to leave there plants alone for weeks at a time

atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441509-image17333.jpg

Time to make some SWICKs.*

This is altogether unnecessary in my case since my pots are such a snug fit, but extra large liners it will give you the added benefit of having something to cover your exposed surface area and keep algae down. My thought was that if I ever needed to remove the perlite for any reason it would be much easier to simply lift out the bag filled with it than to scoop it out. So I grabbed some garden fabric I had laying around and cut it down to fit the basins I'm using.
atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441508-image17334.jpg

I folded it over and used some fishing line to sew it together.*

atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441510-image17335.jpg

Stitching from the bottom up the side to the top first, I took the time to make this seam sturdier.*

atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441511-image17336.jpg

The bottom seam was done with a much looser stitch because I knew I would be gathering it together to tie off and secure the bottom.*
atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441512-image17337.jpg

All finished and they pop right into the basins I purchased. Seams to the inside. Two plain wash basins fit the bill perfectly and only cost $2.50 each.

atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441513-image17338.jpg

An aluminum pan sitting unneeded in the kitchen served as a beautiful scoop that kept the dust to a minimum. One should be careful with perlite and wear a mask. Most of us don't. I didn't. Be smarter than me.*
atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441514-image17339.jpg

Two basins filled to the brim with perlite. Let's add some rainwater.*

atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441515-image17340.jpg

I marked the inside to show me the water level I wanted to come close to. Filled to the top and fully hydrated this will allow at least a 1" break between the bottom of the pots and the water level. It can be lower, but it should never be higher. They took about 5 quarts each before I stopped
atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441516-image17341.jpg

I took the time to press the perlite down into the water to help it settle and get fully hydrated. Then I topped them off with a couple more scoops of dry perlite, pressed it all level and went to have lunch.*

When I came back after lunch it was firmly packed and moist all the way to the top. The water level was still below my lines. Time to get them settled under the pots
atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441517-image17343.jpg

I had to adjust the lights back to the previous count. They will work better with y-adapters and I can pick some up tomorrow. Facing that reality means I have to make arrangements for a couple power strips along the bottom to add more bulbs. That works for me. For now, there sure is a lot of light in this closet and the girls look happy as can be.*
atrain-albums-new-organic-grow-prep-picture441518-image17346.jpg

The perlite makes it easy to level the pots with a simple shift. The pots fit right on top, so there shouldn't be any concern with algae buildup on the perlite. The weed blocker cloth helps with that. You can cut the liner big enough to cover over any exposed surface when you have the luxury of space and a larger container. It will still be easy to rotate the pots that 1/4 turn every morning.*

Last edited:
Back