Soil Experiment: The Continuous Pot

pop22

Frankensteins Lab Leader
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Been some talk and minor controversy over recycling soil. I am a big proponent of recycled soil, hell, of recycling everything I can. Its not about saving money, its about why waste anything? We all waste way too much stuff, and every little bit you recycle/reuse helps a used and abused Earth.

And soil doesn't wear out. In fact, it just gets better! WHAT?!!!! How is that possible? What is the most nutrient rich natural soil type? Clay. Yes, good old clay. Most people do not realize just what clay is.
It what all soil can become, super fine particles of silicon, minerals, humus, sand, lime, etc, etc. EVERYTHING found in regular soil. Only super concentrated. You want super soil? ..............

I had friends who rented a house a few miles from me. The soil was super fertile, but thick clay. They decided to plant a garden. I knew they had their work cut out for the. high clay soil is a real challenge to grow in.

BUT..............

I have never in my life, seen such veggies! I'm serious, there garden looked like one of those Photoshopped Miracle Grow advertisements! I love most root veggies, beets, turnip,Rutabaga, etc.
Their root veggies where scary big! I went looking for ninja turles and glowing ooze!

Big? What's big for a beet? A Rutabaga? How about 1 beet big enough to feed 3 people? I'm saying they were averaging 10" in diameter! Rutabagas the size of basketballs! Carrot as thick as my wrist!

Yet the tomatoes, etc, were mostly small to average. Why???

Drainage. Clay has little little air space between the super fine particles. And it drys out to rock hard. When dry, its hard to re-moisten.

And the weeds and flowers and trees in that area are amazing, rich, lush growth for those trees that finally burrowed thru the clay to get the loose air entrained soil beneath .

And the same wild growth thrives there, year after year. How is that possible?

It has become a self sustaining micro-environment, the soil feeds the plants and the plants feed the soil. And we can do that also, on even a very small scale right?
Well, that's what we are going to find out. And I already have a candidate! I recently grew one of my Blue Dragon in a 10 gallon tote. I chopped the plant, let the rootball/soil dry out ( because it was damned heavy!! ) and set it out on my back porch to take to the recycled soil bin. And I left it there. Well, now a few weeks later, I notice 3 little plants sprouted in that soil. so that and reading Comet 79's thread, post harvest root exam, https://www.autoflower.org/threads/post-harvest-root-exam.53784/ gave me the idea to run a single pot, perpetual grow. No till, compost mostly for amendment when needed. I'll give it a topping of Azomite and lime, and fresh compost, nothing else. i'll ad worm castings on occasion as the soil breaks down. I'll chop up the plant waste from the plants grown in the pot and mulch with it.

Lets see how well our plants grow like this!

I just received three seeds that I'll grow this way for a test grow. Talk about a torture test!

If you've done something like this, tell us about it!

Here is the bin and soil, complete with seedlings..lol!

no till bin.jpg

It's a good read Pops! :D

So you've got a great big 10 gallon (38 uk litres) pot that's got a month old rootball in, and you're going to top dress it with compost (from your compost bin) with azomite and lime.

Then just drop your seed - and when it's done - rinse and repeat?

Sounds like an Eco Dream! ^_^

Hi Blue! Yes, that's the plan!

It's a good read Pops! :D

So you've got a great big 10 gallon (38 uk litres) pot that's got a month old rootball in, and you're going to top dress it with compost (from your compost bin) with azomite and lime.

Then just drop your seed - and when it's done - rinse and repeat?

Sounds like an Eco Dream! ^_^

Timing was not right to start this. Also, I'm trying to find out what the minimum pot size is, I suspect not less than 10 gallons. However, I plant to do this after I finish the Rhino Ryder test grow.

Sorry if you've been waiting to see this get off the ground. I've been and will be pretty busy for a while. I need everything here as automated as I can get it before I have rotator cuff surgery again.....

Ive done something similar to this actually,indoors,outdoors in a greenhouse would be better imo, but the only real difference is I cut the roots and most things very small for larger stuff and several inches or 3" long roots to be turned into the soil once,add compost and there ya go. worked for me but again I didnt do it in a tote either. but I can almost guarantee you that it would have worked. leaving a hard ball of worked roots into the soil could potentially cause growth issues assuming the toxins can be taken care of and the roots initially weren't overly aggressive leaving some moe room,or ample root rather for the new growth. that would be your only issue imho man. cool thing though I wish you luck man on this AND your shoulder too. my dad had both of his done and helpign him do PT, MAAAN,thats rough.

just as an add on comment ,who is saying that soil cant or should not be reworked or reused or even recycled,or cant be used?? thats insane and quite incorrect,seeing is how I do it all the time for the past ohhh,four years maybe. with pretty good results.fantastic actually and dude them veggies get massively nasty sized and are soo naturally sweet assuming the soil has the proper amounts of minerals and life,prodiving ALL the required stuff your body needs,kinds like a plant in that regard. eliminating need for added supplements and vitamins in most people,especially for sick individuals.

I love the idea of no till gardening in containers I just started doing this about a year ago and have phone that I actually get better results with autos and I'm only using 3 gallon pots . I was just wondering if you continued with your experiment and what your results may have been.

notill gardening is amazing. feed your soil life -worms, pill bugs, microbes, fungus and bacteria- and youll be able to grow in the same soil over and over with very little maitanence, occasionally adding top soils of fertilizer before the plant needs them. basically, do everything that happens naturally outside. clover makes a great cover crop for your potted plants, because it returns more to the soil than it takes. there are actually a lot of plants that can benefit your plants when grown in the same space.

Back