Nutrients Silica--- observation

idiopathic neuropathy

It's all in your head.
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
In my several years of growing, I never used silica. My last grow and presently 30 days into a new grow, I have used silica. One thing I have noticed is---I do not get purpling stems. This is with 6 different strains.
Always, I thought it was strain related or had something to do with phosphorus.
Just an observation---not science.
Maybe this is true, not conclusive.
Anyone else see this?

hmmm... speculating time ! if purple stems indicate that some nutrient isnt properly available (eg phosphsrus), or that environment is too cold, i would infere that Si could help nurtients be be better used by the plant and fight those deficiencies or env problems. this just based on the info in: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...other-issues-as-well.43164/page-2#post-846919
where its said that Si carries all other nutrients.

I alwost always get purple stems. incresing temps has helped, but incresing P hasnt and i havent tried incresing/adding Si... will try and report back!

hmmm... speculating time ! if purple stems indicate that some nutrient isnt properly available (eg phosphsrus), or that environment is too cold, i would infere that Si could help nurtients be be better used by the plant and fight those deficiencies or env problems. this just based on the info in: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...other-issues-as-well.43164/page-2#post-846919
where its said that Si carries all other nutrients.

I alwost always get purple stems. incresing temps has helped, but incresing P hasnt and i havent tried incresing/adding Si... will try and report back!
Thx for the link

In my several years of growing, I never used silica. My last grow and presently 30 days into a new grow, I have used silica. One thing I have noticed is---I do not get purpling stems. This is with 6 different strains.
Anyone else see this?
I noticed something similar -- I ran out of silica and did not include it in my current run, and have much less purpling than I had in the last few runs where I used it. I also run 6 different strains at a time (although this time I'm going with 8). I've read that it can mess with the pH, and thought that might be the issue, but I'm not very knowledgable about these things.

Anyone else see this?
In my experience the Silica is great for the microbial development especially if I'm running in coco-peralite I knoticed that even with strains notorious for the purple stems/mag def that the addition of Silicablast it kept my purpling to a minimum. I also run a lil molasses to feed the microbes which seems to allow the roots to uptake nutrients better

¼ tsp of silica/ gallon every watering
IMG_20230501_113732.jpg

¼ tsp of silica/ gallon every wateringView attachment 1589052
This could be a myriad of things ...normally I run silica 1 and 1/2 strength. The Silicia is the microbes if you feed the microbes sugar (molasses) it supercharges the microbes and allows them to eat the nutrients more efficiently which then is uptaken by the root system. I'm Saying that to say sometimes Silicates(microbes) aren't just enough sometimes they need a little help especially if your running coco. Additionally Purpling isn't necessary a microbial issue ...too cold/hot tempatures also can shock the root system causing a nutrient lockout so it's good to consider all areas of your room / tent so that you can do a process of eliminating and get to the "root" of the problem (pun intended)

Back