Should I cut my outdoor photoperiod plant or take a chance on a few more days?

Reaction score
I planted five photo plants around May. Transplanted into outdoors in June. I chopped and trashed four of them at the end of August as they were huge and never began budding. The fifth plant I then really pruned back and had intended on trashing it but it then began flowering. It was basically just a test to see if the strains were of a type that would reach maturity in my Northern climate.

Here it is nearing the end of October. This plant has survived some temperatures as low as 28 degrees Fahrenheit covered in ice, has survived hail, the last week of constant rain and occasional freezing temperatures, constant rain and by Saturday freezing temperatures and snow are forecast.

I just checked the trichomes on one bud and they appear to be mostly cloudy but I saw no amber at all. The pistils are all toasted which likely is due to freezing temperatures. All the leaves are dark green, no dying off at all.

Is there any benefit at all in not cutting at this point? Likely won't be any sunshine in the next two weeks, rain every day until then and come this Saturday nighttime temperatures with be below freezing every night. I'd say at this point the buds are what they are as far as size.

Last edited:
Lots of ppl harvest at all cloudy. Its preference there. You'll learn what you like better as you grow more. But I've chopped lots at cloudy myself. Some strains take forever to amber. Clear is bad but cloudy is good to harvest

I planted five photo plants around May. Transplanted into outdoors in June. I chopped and trashed four of them at the end of August as they were huge and never began budding. The fifth plant I then really pruned back and had intended on trashing it but it then began flowering. It was basically just a test to see if the strains were of a type that would reach maturity in my Northern climate.

Here it is nearing the end of October. This plant has survived some temperatures as low as 28 degrees Fahrenheit covered in ice, has survived hail, the last week of constant rain and occasional freezing temperatures, constant rain and by Saturday freezing temperatures and snow are forecast.

I just checked the trichomes on one bud and they appear to be mostly cloudy but I saw no amber at all. The pistils are all toasted which likely is due to freezing temperatures. All the leaves are dark green, no dying off at all.

Is there any benefit at all in not cutting at this point? Likely won't be any sunshine in the next two weeks, rain every day until then and come this Saturday nighttime temperatures with be below freezing every night. I'd say at this point the buds are what they are as far as size.
You should clone a cutting from that plant. That sounds like some great cold weather genetics.

You should clone a cutting from that plant. That sounds like some great cold weather genetics.
It was supposed to be a short flowering photo plant but it sure didn't produce very large buds. Would have done better planting in a pot with light deprivation probably but with the lockdown in Michigan this year and our female dictator governor I had limited access to anything like supplies this year. Survives freezing temperatures and no bud rot but not a big producer either.

I cut the best buds off yesterday afternoon. Nothing like the harvest I got from a photo plant I grew outside last year. That one had colas the size of my arm in August and yielded a pound in September though it did have some bud rot. From free tester seeds.

This one gave me small buds most not worth the trouble to trim.

It was supposed to be a short flowering photo plant but it sure didn't produce very large buds. Would have done better planting in a pot with light deprivation probably but with the lockdown in Michigan this year and our female dictator governor I had limited access to anything like supplies this year. Survives freezing temperatures and no bud rot but not a big producer either.

I cut the best buds off yesterday afternoon. Nothing like the harvest I got from a photo plant I grew outside last year. That one had colas the size of my arm in August and yielded a pound in September though it did have some bud rot. From free tester seeds.

This one gave me small buds most not worth the trouble to trim.
Use them small buds for hash or oil or edibles. Just trim fan leaves off. I'm in upper Michigan about as far north as you can go up in Houghton county

Use them small buds for hash or oil or edibles. Just trim fan leaves off. I'm in upper Michigan about as far north as you can go up in Houghton county
I'm just under the bridge. I have an ounce of hash from last year's harvest. I was thinking of doing the same with this but no access to dry ice now. I had some this Spring from a food order that was shipped with pounds of dry ice and I used it to process a pound of trim I had along with some smaller buds. Using Ice and water was more of a hassle than I wanted the one time I did that.

This plant was mostly popcorn sized buds. Smallest I have ever had. I cut the larger buds off yesterday, probably only an ounce or so. When the plant was not flowering at all I really cut it back. I'm probably going to stick with the larger autoflowering plants for outdoors from now on. I'll probably use the remainder for cannaoil. Made some infused honey last week that is killer from three strains mixed together.

Sounds like you will be getting snow soon up there in Houghton this weekend.

I'm just under the bridge. I have an ounce of hash from last year's harvest. I was thinking of doing the same with this but no access to dry ice now. I had some this Spring from a food order that was shipped with pounds of dry ice and I used it to process a pound of trim I had along with some smaller buds. Using Ice and water was more of a hassle than I wanted the one time I did that.

This plant was mostly popcorn sized buds. Smallest I have ever had. I cut the larger buds off yesterday, probably only an ounce or so. When the plant was not flowering at all I really cut it back. I'm probably going to stick with the larger autoflowering plants for outdoors from now on. I'll probably use the remainder for cannaoil. Made some infused honey last week that is killer from three strains mixed together.

Sounds like you will be getting snow soon up there in Houghton this weekend.
I got family all over downstate in the monroe county closer to Ohio and surrounding areas. And yeah we already been snowed on a few times up here. Lol it's not staying yet but its snows a few times already. It got cold quick up here. We get hit hard by snow every year. Nothing new to us yoopers. Lol

Back