Sea of Strains - Experimental Breeding Journal (With STS Guide)

Gabe

Autoflower Breeder
Reaction score
I'm gonna talk in plain language we can all understand, don't get offended when i generalize, I do so for the purpose of simplifying theory.

Now, big brain geneticists, they draw up all these charts, and blabbity-blah-blah and give you charts like this, that we have all seen:

03%20Mendel's%20Pea%20Traits.jpg

And none of it means crap, because we have all see how genetics really works in real life.

If a white person and a black person have a kid, they have brown kids, none of that, "25% is gonna be identical to one parent, 25% will be like the other, and 50% will share all traits" bs in real life, folks, all their kids are equally mixed.

If that mixed kid had kids with a white person, their kids will look white, with a few black features, slightly curly hair maybe, olive skin maybe, but will look mostly white. If the mixed kid had kids with a black person, they will look black, with whitish features, straighter hair maybe, a little bit lighter skin, but mostly look black. In the next generation, if two mixed kids have kids together, they're all brown; you don't get one white kid, one black kid, and two brown. It just doesn't really work that way.

That's how it works in real life, pretty consistently, right?

All those charts and graphs have been designed to dissuade you from doing something that is really very easy to do - breed your own personalized strains of plants, cannabis in specific.

Why?
Simple - people make money - a lot of money - breeding cannabis and other plant strains. Same reason doctors and lawyers speak Latin - to add mystique to their profession, and increase their own value.

Sea of Strains cuts through all that bullshit.

Sea of strains theory is simple. Choose a list of 4-6 traits you are looking of in a personal strain. Traits might include, say, color, yield, THC or CBD percentages, sativa or indica leaning, autoflowering, etc.

The more traits you are breeding for, the more difficult it will be to find two parents with all the traits,
so I recommend keeping the list simple.

Find two strains that show as many of your selected traits as you can. If you want a plant that is light green, high yielding, high in cbd, and autoflowering, simply find two parents that are both light green, high yielding, high in cbd, and autoflowering.

Breed those plants together. (we will get in to the technical aspects of THAT later!)

Now
, you have seeds that are 50% one plant, and 50% the other - a hybrid!

Now - Breed that hybrid back into the parents, and also, allow it to pollinate one of her sister plants!

What do you end up with? 3 STRAINS!!!!!!!

One Strain that is 75% parent 1, 25% parent 2; One strain that is 75% parent 2 and 25% parent 1, AND one strain that is 50/50!

Are genetic anomalies a posibility? Yes, but we reduce their effect by using genetic material that shares as many common desirable traits as possible.

Remember - the further apart your genetic material is, the more variation you will see. Breeding a plant with a very high yield into a plant that produces a much lower yield, or breeding an autoflower with a photoperiod, will produce variation more in line with the 25:50:25 charts you are familiar with, and may require a second or third generation of crossing to produce stability in offspring.

The Following Journal is intended to document my experimentation with Sea of Strains Theory. I hope you find it entertaining and educational.

Last edited:
Ok, genetics have arrived, I'll show you the breeder, but I'm going to be intentionally vague as to which of these breeders' strains I'm going to be turning.

IMG_20151015_184012.jpg

I have the first three strains that I will be using to test my Sea of Strains theory.

These three strains will be known as 'P' '2' and 'X'.

IMG_20151019_021310.jpg

Last edited:
This looks very interesting....

Any clue on what traits are you specifically trying to obtain?

I'm so in!

Hardon

This looks very interesting....

Any clue on what traits are you specifically trying to obtain?

I'm so in!

Hardon

How odd - I cant seem to post, but I can reply to posts.

I am breeding for:

Autoflowering (of course)
High yield (800g/m2)
High THC 18+%

The reason I am keeping this list as simple as I am, is that I am intending to use my initial 50/50 strain as a basis for future strains, something that If I want to increase the THC, I can cross it with a (maybe only slightly, but still) higher THC plant, cross it with a fruity plant, it will take on the flavors of that plant, etc.

I'm shooting for size and reasonable potency, with a bland appearance and flavor that will take on the traits of other strains i introduce it to later, essentially.

Last edited:
I'm disgusted with the recent genetics I purchased. Not a single seed out of two batches has germinated, and I know it's not my ph, etc, because my garden seeds are germinating perfectly normally. Un fucking believabe! If you remember my old signature, you know which company I will never do business with again.

I am getting some new genetics on Thursday, and beginning again from the beginning. Stay tuned for a how to make STS guide with photos coming up in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm disgusted with the recent genetics I purchased. Not a single seed out of two batches has germinated, and I know it's not my ph, etc, because my garden seeds are germinating perfectly normally. Un fucking believabe! If you remember my old signature, you know which company I will never do business with again.

I am getting some new genetics on Thursday, and beginning again from the beginning. Stay tuned for a how to make STS guide with photos coming up in the next 2-3 weeks.
If the seed is old you could always half the husk. Sit the embryo in half on the wet tissue paper and seal the tub. It makes sticking near impossible which is a big problem with old seeds.

Did you get any breeding done? It's been a few years since this thread was started.

Did you get any breeding done? It's been a few years since this thread was started.

I have another journal I post in in my signature where I review what crosses I've developed

Back