New Grower Removing chlorine and chloramine with vitamin c

Wile e Peyote

Who, what, why and where
Reaction score
Found this on a aquarium website

Most UK water contains 0.5mg active chlorine (either as chlorine or chloramine) at the tap. The appropriate strength of vitamin C to neutralise this is 1g in 800L.

This can be conveniently handled as 1g in 40ml water and then use 1drop per litre. I am using the powder from the health shop. Overdose will reduce the pH and partially de-oxygenate the water but so do other de-chlorinators.

Weak solutions are unstable but the above solution is probably good
for a month in the fridge.

I've just done this but I've used 1/2 a gram in 20 ml of water it should only take around 4 minutes for the chlorine and chloramine to disapate (the chlorine converts to ammonia trace amounts and salt non harmful to your plants)

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Is this not something you can let evaporate out over 24 hours?

Is this not something you can let evaporate out over 24 hours?
If it's chlorine you can leave it in the sun and let it evaporate over a couple of days but I'm in the loft growing and go through around 40 ltrs of water every 4 days also if your tap water has chloramine then no it won't evap off

Get an RO filter @Wile e Peyote you will never look back. Best decision I made for my garden.
I've got one mate it's a pain in the arse filling buckets from it were i just put a stretchy hose on the tap in the bathroom and bobs your uncle the water were i am is pretty good just the chlorine problem (i always remember to fill the buckets just as the res empties [emoji16])

One drop of hydrogen peroxide removes it too and it's dirt cheap. If you read many a website about conventional gardening, the minute amount of chlorine in water is negligible to plants and soil cultures anyway.

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

One drop of hydrogen peroxide removes it too and it's dirt cheap. If you read many a website about conventional gardening, the minute amount of chlorine in water is negligible to plants and soil cultures anyway.

Don't use soil dude I'm in coco also peroxide cost more than vitamin c and most of the keen gardeners i know never water straight out the tap just suppling info whether people use it its up to them

It was good info, I was just adding to it.

I read a bit about chlormine recently , not to much about its effects on canna, though im going back for a little more research on that topic.. but did come across a guys battle with southern trent water, he was basically asking why an untested, unapproved chemical was present in his tap water, after a request under the freedom of information act.
And the involvement of various government agencies/ ombudsmen. It figures out they deny adding it as a chemical so doesn't require approval , its formed by the ammonia and chlorine combining that they add... figure that one out...
Just asking if its such an issue in watering my grow.. i know my local supply is treated with both chlorine and ammonia, so guess i can say there's chlormine coming out my tap, and two years ago they rendered the supply unusable for above 3 days with the overdose of chlorine, had to f☆☆ing laugh ..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I read a bit about chlormine recently , not to much about its effects on canna, though im going back for a little more research on that topic.. but did come across a guys battle with southern trent water, he was basically asking why an untested, unapproved chemical was present in his tap water, after a request under the freedom of information act.
And the involvement of various government agencies/ ombudsmen. It figures out they deny adding it as a chemical so doesn't require approval , its formed by the ammonia and chlorine combining that they add... figure that one out...
Just asking if its such an issue in watering my grow.. i know my local supply is treated with both chlorine and ammonia, so guess i can say there's chlormine coming out my tap, and two years ago they rendered the supply unusable for above 3 days with the overdose of chlorine, had to f☆☆ing laugh ..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Some gardeners reckon it stunts roots growth some don't my water is fairly low ec of 100 but i can smell the chlorine if i leave a 20 ltr bucket with no airriation it can take 3 to 4 days for it to disapate but like a dozy arse stoner i only remember to refill the buckets just before my res runs out this just take airing out the water for a few days out the question

Back