Grow Mediums Pro Mix HP Update

Muddy

Proud deplorable!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
OG Kush, Deep Cheese, Key Lime
I've been growing with Pro Mix HP for years now with excellent results. Recently I've noticed a change in their mix. Previously I've been adding Aluminum Sulfate at the rate of 3 grams per gallon to my mix to lower the starting pH of the Pro Mix. I had a grow where my soil pH was dropping extremely low, as low as 4.8. The next grow I cut that amount down to 1 gram per gallon and still had pH drops down to 5.2. So this last grow I didn't add any Aluminum Sulfate. My pH has been much more stable, dropping to about 6.2 the day after feeding and slowly rising to 6.8 as the plants dry out. I would advise anyone growing in Pro Mix HP and who are using Aluminum Sulfate to check their soil pH and make sure it's not dropping too low.

I also noticed that HP also seems to contain a bit more perlite than it previously did. I normally added 20% additional perlite to the Pro Mix. My last grow I found the plants were drying out faster than I like, requiring feeding every 4-5 days instead of the 6-7 days I prefer. On my current grow I cut the rate down to 10% and I'm back to feeding every 7 days again. So apparently their formula has changed a bit this year.

Back