Lighting Opinions for 4x4 tent lighting

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m here, yet again, to ask for opinions and advice. I was recently given a 4x4 tent and am looking into what light(s) to put in it. After searching the forums and seeing what’s what, I have some questions. I’m shopping around Alibaba, and that place gives me a headache…

1. Would I be better off with 240w x3? Or 320w x 2? Or 1x 600w/650w bar setup? I don’t know if I like the idea of relying on one large light, but I’m here for opinions and advice.

2. When it comes to UV & IR, when is the best time to run them? What if they don’t have a separate switch from the whites (run constantly)? Or one switch controls both UV & IR, instead of being able to control each individually? Is it worth it to have them then? Or with just IR?

3. Is Cree REALLY worth the extra money? What about Osram? What problems/qualms with Epistar do people have?

4. Some have varying options of white diodes vs 66nm diodes, which way is recommended? More white, less 660? Or more 660 with a few less white?

I have a “short list” of lights I’m interested in and am trying to narrow it down. This won’t be purchase very soon, trying to get an idea of what I want so I can start budgeting for it. Any and all information/advice/expertise is appreciated!

What's your short list? It would be easier to suggest if I knew what your options are.

I run 450w of DIY COBs in a 4x4, all in 3500k. (Citizen) Good results. Have run this setup now for almost 3 years. If I was setting up another 4x4, I would run an HLG 550 Quantum board with some far reds thrown in... but that's probably pushing a grand...

Last edited:
Hey, new guy here =) so, keeping in mind that I am NO expert, but I do have that sized tent and did a great deal of research from a strictly budget-minded standpoint while making every effort to not scrap on performance. ... I'm currently running 2 great but waaaaaaaay too small lights, a Mars Hydro TS600 and a Bloom Plus BP1000. Here's a pic, taken yesterday:

20200805_175741.jpg

As you can see, lights are waaaay too small for the area, but the plants love em. Therefore, my future plans are to go with either: Mars Hydro TSW 2000, but restrict flowering to about 1ft from the walls, or the Bloom Plus BP3000, which will allow buds to climb up the walls (so to speak). ..best part? the BP3000 is only TWO-FIDDY. That's right, $250! The Mars TSW 2000 is about the same, but smaller footprint and I have to say, I really love my Mars light but the Bloom Plus is really frickin neat!

What's your short list? It would be easier to suggest if I knew what your options are.

I run 450w of DIY COBs in a 4x4, all in 4500k. (Citizen) Good results. Have run this setup now for almost 3 years. If I was setting up another 4x4, I would run an HLG 550 Quantum board with some far reds thrown in... but that's probably pushing a grand...
Well this list is pretty much between Kingbrite, Meijiu, or Yuanhui, depending on the route I go. They each have plenty of options, it's just trying to figure out what option to go with.

Meijiu potentials:
- 240w plus (has osram & epistar, UV + IR)
- 320w (osram 660s only) or 320w (epistar/osram UV + IR)
- 600w or 650w (osram, +/- UV & IR)
And does anyone know what Rita Fang models are? On the 600w bars the only difference I see is that the bars have reflectors?

Kingbrite potentials:
- 240w (epistar + UV + IR), Cree versions are almost $200 more total :dizzy:
- 320w (cree or epistar +UV +IR) again, almost $200 difference
- 320w Plus (Cree + UV + IR), has a switcher for UV & IR, independent of each other

Yuanhui potentials:
- 240w (Cree or epistar 660s)
- 630w (epistar 660s)

Just trying to figure out the best way to go about this but not break the bank. Here's pics of the spreadsheet I made up to keep things organized. Appreciate the input!

Attachments

• Kingbrite.png
    Kingbrite.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Meijiu.png
    Meijiu.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Yuanhui.png
    Yuanhui.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 44
Hey, new guy here =) so, keeping in mind that I am NO expert, but I do have that sized tent and did a great deal of research from a strictly budget-minded standpoint while making every effort to not scrap on performance. ... I'm currently running 2 great but waaaaaaaay too small lights, a Mars Hydro TS600 and a Bloom Plus BP1000. Here's a pic, taken yesterday:

View attachment 1221030

As you can see, lights are waaaay too small for the area, but the plants love em. Therefore, my future plans are to go with either: Mars Hydro TSW 2000, but restrict flowering to about 1ft from the walls, or the Bloom Plus BP3000, which will allow buds to climb up the walls (so to speak). ..best part? the BP3000 is only TWO-FIDDY. That's right, $250! The Mars TSW 2000 is about the same, but smaller footprint and I have to say, I really love my Mars light but the Bloom Plus is really frickin neat!
Right on, looks like it's working out for ya. I'm not sold on mars, haven't heard too much good about them. But if they're working for you, have at it! Good luck with the grow, and thanks for chiming in!

Hello everyone! I’m here, yet again, to ask for opinions and advice. I was recently given a 4x4 tent and am looking into what light(s) to put in it. After searching the forums and seeing what’s what, I have some questions. I’m shopping around Alibaba, and that place gives me a headache…

1. Would I be better off with 240w x3? Or 320w x 2? Or 1x 600w/650w bar setup? I don’t know if I like the idea of relying on one large light, but I’m here for opinions and advice.

2. When it comes to UV & IR, when is the best time to run them? What if they don’t have a separate switch from the whites (run constantly)? Or one switch controls both UV & IR, instead of being able to control each individually? Is it worth it to have them then? Or with just IR?

3. Is Cree REALLY worth the extra money? What about Osram? What problems/qualms with Epistar do people have?

4. Some have varying options of white diodes vs 66nm diodes, which way is recommended? More white, less 660? Or more 660 with a few less white?

I have a “short list” of lights I’m interested in and am trying to narrow it down. This won’t be purchase very soon, trying to get an idea of what I want so I can start budgeting for it. Any and all information/advice/expertise is appreciated!

1. I prefer strip style for the superior coverage compared to quantum boards style lights. The 600w would be preferable imo but I only flower in that tent.

2. IR is far red light in the 700nm range and the other is in the 660nm range. They contribute to the Emerson effect. Far red at lights off for for 5-15mins puts them to sleep faster. If the IR is only on during lights on I don't see a problem but idk how efficient or well the UV diodes are especially if the light is being sourced from Alibaba. AgroMax makes T5HO UVA and UV bulbs.

3. Cree is more expensive but there's Samsung and Bridgelux that are pretty efficient with 2.8+umols. I think Epistar diodes are just cheaper and less efficient. I just know of the Osram diodes in the Fluence lights.

4. You only need so much 660nm for the Emerson Effect. The far red is suggested to be in a 2-1 ratio of red to far red. Rapidled suggests 10 watts of far red for every 2×4 to induce the emerson effect.

You could DIY the whole thing and spend less. 12 Quantum boards, 2 660 strips, and their UV light would be a good choice or a kit off of Rapidled.

For a 4x4 you'll need 58k lumen (40k/m²) and since the LM301 is probably still your best bet I would look for a lamp with this LED. Preferably R-spec (3000K + 660nm) and optionally with additional UV (be aware it will deteriorate everything in your grow room) and/or far red. For an average LM301 (177 lumen/W) fixture that would mean you need 325W of LED light but if you do like me and get one size larger and turn it down it will increase efficiency and durability a lot. I get around 2.25 gram/W with one R-spec QB288v2 running at 90W (instead of the 124W mine can do max). And of course try to get a fixture with a big footprint rather than a single COB and train your plants to grow wide.

1. I prefer strip style for the superior coverage compared to quantum boards style lights. The 600w would be preferable imo but I only flower in that tent.

2. IR is far red light in the 700nm range and the other is in the 660nm range. They contribute to the Emerson effect. Far red at lights off for for 5-15mins puts them to sleep faster. If the IR is only on during lights on I don't see a problem but idk how efficient or well the UV diodes are especially if the light is being sourced from Alibaba. AgroMax makes T5HO UVA and UV bulbs.

3. Cree is more expensive but there's Samsung and Bridgelux that are pretty efficient with 2.8+umols. I think Epistar diodes are just cheaper and less efficient. I just know of the Osram diodes in the Fluence lights.

4. You only need so much 660nm for the Emerson Effect. The far red is suggested to be in a 2-1 ratio of red to far red. Rapidled suggests 10 watts of far red for every 2×4 to induce the emerson effect.

You could DIY the whole thing and spend less. 12 Quantum boards, 2 660 strips, and their UV light would be a good choice or a kit off of Rapidled.
Appreciate the input! Yeah, I'm still on the fence with the whole IR & UV idea, especially if they run constantly with the whites. I'm really hesitant for much DIY. I can work with wood, steel, concrete, dirt, etc. but electricity is a VERY weak point for me. I don't trust myself or my skills at all, that shit can kill you or burn your house down. Rather have someone who knows wtf they are doing build it lol. I can plug stuff in, but soldering wires and hooking things to power definitely worries me.

Appreciate the input! Yeah, I'm still on the fence with the whole IR & UV idea, especially if they run constantly with the whites. I'm really hesitant for much DIY. I can work with wood, steel, concrete, dirt, etc. but electricity is a VERY weak point for me. I don't trust myself or my skills at all, that shit can kill you or burn your house down. Rather have someone who knows wtf they are doing build it lol. I can plug stuff in, but soldering wires and hooking things to power definitely worries me.

Fluence, ChilLed, Rapidled, HLG would be some of my choices. Look for 800+ PPFD, 2.5+ umols, and a warranty. Idk how reliable the Chinese suppliers are with their light testing.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Back