Indoor On The Road To Find Out

Reaction score
This is my first indoor grow since the late 1970s/early 1980s. Back then, everything was photoperiod seeds and all we realy had were fluorescent grow lights (aquarium really).

This grow consists of two auto flower strains: Hi-Jack and Girl Scout Cookies from AutoSeeds. Thank You Only1Sky
The seeds were germinated in thoroughly rinsed out paper towels after a 5 hour soak in filtered water starting on 9 April 2022
The two seeds "popped" on 11 April 2022 and were planted in soil on the 12th.
Lighting for the seedlings is provided by a smallish round Red/Blue/UV LED fixture which gets me about 280 PPFD at 5 inches.
By taping paper towels (yup ... paper towels) around the light fixture to form a cylindrical tent, I am able to get them almost 330 PPFD on top and about 80 from the sides.
Timer runs 17 hours per day. I'd run them longer but currently the one timer also runs lights for orchids that we keep indoors over the winter. The orchids will move outdoors after May 15th or so, then the timer will go to 20 hours.
The kids (Jack and Jill of course) will get new 3 gallon homes this week and will get the orchid light bank too.
I'll build a smallish temporary grow box and get higher power lights as soon as possible.
They both have wonderful aromas already and are distinct enough to differentiate the two strains.

April 11
Hi-Jack.jpg
Girl Scout Cookies.jpg

April 15
2022 0415.jpg

May 3
2022 0503.jpg
20220504 paper towels.jpg
20220504 setup.jpg

May 6
2022 0506 GSC.jpg
2022 0506 HJ.jpg

More later

I don't have a proper tent yet so I've "moved up" to a foam board based enclosure. Making room in my crowded house for just a 2x4 foot tent is surprisingly difficult ... the enclosure is in the space we keep the orchids over the winter so that's temporary ...
I'll be starting a new grow late next week so I really need to get properly situated.

I hope everyone likes the 3D photo ... there will be more and better ones (that was just my cell phone).

Day 56 ... getting close to harvest.

Hi-Jack
0607 3514.jpg
0607 4126.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies (This one is 3D)

3D 0607 3905.jpg

Enjoy.

I finally harvested the Hi-Jack .... Trichomes are about 10% amber 70-80 % cloudy with the rest not quite clear.
The Girl Scout Cookies has a tiny amount of amber so I'll let that one get a little more time.
I'll post photos later.

I had to pull the Girl Scout Cookies.
The bud density was too high and a few of the really fat ones developed bud rot fungus.

I got a little too focused on trichome development and missed the problem.
Seriously, I lost over a third of the yield from that plant.
Had I pulled it the same day as the Hi-Jack, probably no problem.

So after drying ... the GSC bud total was a little over an ounce while the Hi-Jack was close to 2.3 ounces. That does not include "sampling" along the way to harvest.

It is possible that the flushing operation may have made the plant too wet coupled with a few cooler evenings.

This is what experiments are for and why we do them:

"On The Road To Find Out"

Well sometimes you have to moan
When nothing seems to suit you
But never the less you know
Your locked towards the future
So off and on you go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know and I'm on the road to find out.

Despite the reduced dry weight yield, I still consider this first contemporary grow to be a success on the basis of the high quality obtained.

@SledDriver71 - agreed; a tremendous success for the first time back on the bicycle. :cheers:
Things will only get better as you get the grow environment more dialed-in. Glad you like the Hi-Jack. :smoking:

I've recently finished my 33rd grow cycle (156 plants across 84 different strains) and all I can say is "growing is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." I've had autoflower plants yield as high as 12.7 oz but then quite a few that never made it over a half ounce. My average is 2.7 oz and a cycle-time from sprout to harvest of 92.84 days. So at this point my expectations are pretty well managed by the history reflected in these statistics.

Now.... whatca gonna grow next??

Back