Nutes for my first grow (FFOF mix)

indicalla

Two grows and nine plants in the books
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Mephisto Sour Stomper and CDLC, Gnome Automatics Anvil, FB Northern Lights
I'm three weeks into my first auto (or plant of any kind), and I'm finally thinking about nutes and trying to decide what I want to do. I'm going to ask for some specific advice here, so I'll try to provide the info you might need to actually provide it. I'm a bit long-winded: apologies in advance.

Soil: 80/20 FFOF/Light Warrior
Water: Local spring water 6.8 ph (I PH it down sometimes), 42 PPM
Additives: Fishsh!t soil conditioner once a week, yucca powder every watering
Light: Mars Hydro SP 3000

On my grow journal some regular commenters/new friends have talked about their success with Megacrop, and the ease of use, but I only have access to it in huge bags and i don't really want to commit to that much when I don't really don't understand plant nutrition very well.

I read this thread and am compelled to try Jack's: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...nvironment-nutrients-and-drying-curing.65308/

... partially because I can get a small starter kit for cheap that will get me much of the way through this grow (I have three autos total) and I can make sure it's working for me:

Amazon product

In my last watering on my most mature auto, the PPM from the runoff was 635. It was a good bit hotter on previous waterings. I'm shooting for these targets, which I hope are sensible:

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 12.17.59 PM.png

Here she is as of this morning. I know she's clawing and thought it was from nitrogen toxicity, but her SP3000 was also too bright. I've adjusted and I'm hoping her new growth doesn't claw.

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 12.29.08 PM.png

Anyway, my specific questions are:
  1. Would you consider this late veg at this point? Should I be shooting for PPM in the soil over 800 already?
  2. If I order the Jack's 321 products, should I start them on her next watering? Or how should I determine when she's ready? I've always heard FFOF needs boosted after 3 or 4 weeks and I'm in that range now, and I think my runoff PPM suggests I'm ready or almost too.
  3. Should I use the recommended amount for my first feeding, or ease her into it?
  4. Do these nutes mixed into water need to be used quickly, or can I premix multiple gallons and have them ready to go?
  5. Is there anything else I really should add besides Jacks 5-12-26, calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate?
I like figuring things out for myself when I can, but with nutrition, there's just so much info out there that I'm having a hard time gaining confidence, and I just want to give my first born the best chance to live a healthy life without over-complicating nute additions. Any feedback would be highly appreciated!

Whoa................ Those PPM targets will kill your auto and are even too high for photos IMPE. I do not believe in using run-off for anything other than watching trends. They are just too unreliable.

The Jack's will work fine.

I find the top PPM on the Hanna Scale is about 550 PPM for autos not counting your starting water. That means 600 PPM for you.

Ps. flushing does not remove anything from the plant - proven scientific fact! There may be some unknown activity that some peaople precieve as better but in blind taste tests the results favored cannabis grown without flushing?

Last edited:
Got it, 600 max.

Not sure how to know when to start, and if I should start at full strength. The fact that I was in a hot soil to begin with makes this timing confusing to me. Any advice there, @Mañ'O'Green?

Got it, 600 max.

Not sure how to know when to start, and if I should start at full strength. The fact that I was in a hot soil to begin with makes this timing confusing to me. Any advice there, @Mañ'O'Green?
This is a judgement call. I would wait until the plants look a bit hungry then start with 400 PPM. I would go Fertigate, Water, Water, Water, Repeat to start with. Then add or drop a water day by looking at the plants.

:goodluck:

Nute research was so complicated and this was the simplicity I was looking for. Thanks so much, @Mañ'O'Green. I feel ready to move forward now. I’ll give this a try and learn how to adjust from there.

Back