Nute Burn? Light Burn? and/or Deficiency

Cerebral Goo

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Somethings up with one my girlfriends! All other plants look perfectly healthy, but this Double Grape has some issues. What issue(s) does this look like? At day 30ish. See other stats at bottom of post please...

The first pick seems like it would be nute burn? It was pretty much all on the new growth at the time a little over a week ago. I also jacked up the ppfd around the same time as I fed (800) ppfd, but new growth seems to be fine so dont think it is light burn. I know very little so could be wrong! My runoff EC was 2.5, but using Flora Flex and their super high EC rates was not far off from their suggested 2.4. Their schedules vary though and most companies charts seem too high. It was my first feeding of Flora Flex Bloom 3 grams of Part 1 and 3 grams part 2. Maybe I switched to bloom nutes from veg too early? I had just read and seen several videos/ articles about people growing autos with just bloom nutes. All other plants as stated and seem fine with no tip burn.

The later pictures are of the lower fan leaves. Yellowing with brown in multiple spots along the edges. All upper growth looks fine with the exception of the above issue. When do plants start to eat their lower fan leaves? Or, is this a deficiency of some sort? Potasium? Also, have sloshed nutes on leaves as well.

Gorilla 4x4
Photontek 600 W Pro, 800
Homemade Basement Mix(70/30 Canna Coco Brick/Perlite blend mixed with 35% Roots Organic Original (already posted on this and adding lots of microbes to try and control salts Basically Sensizyme)
Switched to Flora flex bloom from their Veg
Alternating Recharge and Tribus ( was watering/feeding every 4th day, now drying faster and every third day now
Plants at day 30ish
Temp 82, Leaf Temp 79
Humidity 64-70% ( dehumidifier will be here tomorrow. Will lower to 55% as just starting to flower

Attachments

• IMG_7280.JPG
    IMG_7280.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7276.JPG
    IMG_7276.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7277.JPG
    IMG_7277.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7279.JPG
    IMG_7279.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 26
Somethings up with one my girlfriends! All other plants look perfectly healthy, but this Double Grape has some issues. What issue(s) does this look like? At day 30ish. See other stats at bottom of post please...

The first pick seems like it would be nute burn? It was pretty much all on the new growth at the time a little over a week ago. I also jacked up the ppfd around the same time as I fed (800) ppfd, but new growth seems to be fine so dont think it is light burn. I know very little so could be wrong! My runoff EC was 2.5, but using Flora Flex and their super high EC rates was not far off from their suggested 2.4. Their schedules vary though and most companies charts seem too high. It was my first feeding of Flora Flex Bloom 3 grams of Part 1 and 3 grams part 2. Maybe I switched to bloom nutes from veg too early? I had just read and seen several videos/ articles about people growing autos with just bloom nutes. All other plants as stated and seem fine with no tip burn.

The later pictures are of the lower fan leaves. Yellowing with brown in multiple spots along the edges. All upper growth looks fine with the exception of the above issue. When do plants start to eat their lower fan leaves? Or, is this a deficiency of some sort? Potasium? Also, have sloshed nutes on leaves as well.

Gorilla 4x4
Photontek 600 W Pro, 800
Homemade Basement Mix(70/30 Canna Coco Brick/Perlite blend mixed with 35% Roots Organic Original (already posted on this and adding lots of microbes to try and control salts Basically Sensizyme)
Switched to Flora flex bloom from their Veg
Alternating Recharge and Tribus ( was watering/feeding every 4th day, now drying faster and every third day now
Plants at day 30ish
Temp 82, Leaf Temp 79
Humidity 64-70% ( dehumidifier will be here tomorrow. Will lower to 55% as just starting to flower

The pictures shown were from this morning. Went down to feed/water tonight and found some purple stems on all the plants and some yellowing of lower leaves as well. After looking some more things up, could it be a magnesium deficiency? I was hoping the nutes and the use of aerated tap water would be enough magnesium. Added 3 ml of cal mag per gallon as not to add too much and up'd the part 1 of Flora Flex Bloom by 25% with the feed tonight. We'll see in the am...

If it is a magnesium deficiency, what is a good brand of epson salts? How much per gallon would you use? Usually not the kind to get freaked out, but getting a little fidgety!!!

Thanks for any advice!

Hey @Cerebral Goo you are probably overfeeding Excess nutrients looks like a deficiency. It is actually locked out. 800 PPM is too much for autos and your mix is neither hydro (coco) or soil (Roots Organic). I have not seen that mix work out well in the past.

The reason it shows up when peeps turn the lights up is not light burn. That just does not happen with LEDs period. What is going on is now the plant starts to grow rapidly from the light energy the plant is getting, it needs more water and with that water comes all of the extra nutrients the plant does not need.

Read this and see if you can figure out where to go from here:

:goodluck:

Always a big thank you Man O Green! Raced out this morning and grabbed some epsom salts and did a foliar at 1.75 tablespoons a gallon in case it is a magnesium deficiency and fed last night as well. Plants standing at attention when I opened the tent and didn't notice any further progression of yellowing or purple leaf stems.

Will be switching mediums next go round, but stuck with what I have at the moment. Used it initially as to not have to water/feed as often as I'm really busy at the moment. Will have to pull at least 12 hours today. Live and learn!!!

Using half the recommended amount of nutes. Check out Arucamba Autoflowers if you are not familiar with him. He grows monsters with flora flex at a higher amount of nutes, but in straight coco/perlite. Will start adding a little epsom in the water/feed as well as lowering the ppm per your suggestion and see what happens.

What I neglected to mention was PH. From what I read, it looks like 6.2 is optimal for magnesium uptake. Did a slurry test last night and the "soil" ph was 6.O. I water/feed at 5.8 to 6.1, so it seems we can rule out ph being off...

Thanks again and hope you have a great frikkin day!!!

Back