Reaction score
Hello all. I'm on my first ever grow. Nirvana Blue Mystic femmed auto. 2 gallon hempy with 1 quart sump. For the present, a single 42 watt 6500K CFL with reflector. I'm at about day 22 from seed into peat pellet. It now has a pair of 5 finger leave taking form so third node starting.

My question is this, is there such a thing as too close on node spacing? I'm keeping the bottom of the CFL between 2 & 4 inches from the top of the plant for efficient energy transfer, but the leaves are nearly touching because the node spacing is so close.

Maybe compromise efficiency a bit to get some stretch?

I could tell better with a picture but yes if she's to compact you can raise the light up to maybe 10 to 12 inches to see if she starts stretching if not keep moving it till it does.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

WP_20161023_003.jpg
WP_20161023_003.jpg

There is a thing i heard many time, while doing my education , here and with videos,

Bigger plants , Bigger yields.

And i would say it is true most of the time.
Now it all depends , a bigger plant will ask for a bigger light too , so if you want to keep it small and manageable, for your first grow , keep doing what you doing.

But if you hope for a big yeild and are ready to scale up your set up , try to get her to grow big.

I ve got very little experience, but that s how i see it.

Good luck!

There is a thing i heard many time, while doing my education , here and with videos,

Bigger plants , Bigger yields.

And i would say it is true most of the time.
Now it all depends , a bigger plant will ask for a bigger light too , so if you want to keep it small and manageable, for your first grow , keep doing what you doing.

But if you hope for a big yeild and are ready to scale up your set up , try to get her to grow big.

I ve got very little experience, but that s how i see it.

Good luck!
I used CFL for my first grow. I had the same experience, but played with light distance like @namvet25 said. Then I got a nice stretch and my first plants were approx 50 cm.
During flower, I used the veg lamp as side light, but had to remove the extra bulb finally, coz the 2x2 ft tent became too hot.

I have cheap LEDs now, and get better results.

I want to get some stretch so I can lst it around the rim of the bucket. I'm height restricted so I'll need to get as much of the growth as possible laying horizontal. I just looked at it this evening and it's starting to stretch.

Last edited:
I want to get some stretch so I can let it around the rim of the bucket. I'm height restricted so I'll need to get as much of the growth as possible laying horizontal. I just looked at it this evening and it's starting to stretch.
You should increase the distance to the light, then. Let it stretch so you can do some cool LST. It is amazing what these plants can do! I broke one of mine in two pieces, at two places while LSTing. Duct tape surgery and 36 hrs of rest was all she needed before she continued growing happily. Now she is in flower, as nothing ever happend.

I have cheap LEDs now, and get better results.

How cheap is cheap? After months of slipping CFLs in with groceries and using Amazon gift cards for fixtures and other grow related stuff, I'm noticing CFLs are disappearing from store shelves everywhere. My local Walmart has none and Big Lots has a few overpriced ones. I feel like it's soon going to be necessary to shop LEDs.

Last edited:
How cheap is cheap? After months of slipping CFLs in with groceries and using Amazon gift cards for fixtures and other grow related stuff, I'm noticing CFLs are disappearing from store shelves everywhere. My local Walmart have none and Big Lots has a few overpriced ones. I feel like it's soon going to be necessary to shop LEDs.
I have 3 Vipar 300, a Mars 48 Reflector and a Bossled 1000. Prices £65-100/$75-125 at ebay.co.uk and amazon.co.uk.

Back