Nitrogen deficiency normal in flowering stage

Reaction score
Changed to the proper format.

-Problem: Not sure if this is Nutrient Lockout or Nitrogen deficiency (i.e need more nutes) or Fungus (see stems)
-Medium/grow method: Cloud Coco 50/50 Perlite on AutoPot - 15L pots with reservoir attached
-Feed and supplements used: I have been using Jacks 3 2 1 at 60%, which is roughly 653PPM/1.3EC. I was doing 100% from late veg to week 1 flower (990PPM/1.9EC) and saw some nitrogen toxicity on one plant (dark green) so I dialed back to 60%. Also have 2ML/G of Hydro guard and no other nutrients. This is all being bottom fed through reservoir.
-Water source: Tap Water - 42PPM plus Jacks 321 at 60% - currently at 653PPM
-Strain and age - Seedsman Amnesia Auto (left) and Dutch Passion Think Different (middle and right). About 8 weeks in (56 days).
-Climate: Day Temp (78-81, 50-60% RH), Night Temp (74-76, 45-55% RH). Res Temp (69-71)
- Light used: HLG 100 (4000K) and 135v2 (80% power). All lights 24/7 around 10-15inches

-Additional info: Plants have had issues for 2-3weeks. Seeing a ton of mycelium on top of medium due to stagnant air issue and Great White overuse during seed/veg.

My leaves are yellow but some are turning green, which I feel is telling me they need more nutrients. I know people advise against going above 1EC but I have seen both strains handling 1.5EC and up through other diaries.

Given I am in week 8, wondering if the fact that both my outside plants have yellow leaves, leaves dying on bottom, and also on top means that they need more nutrients (I know it is normal to see fan leaves turning yellow). I do see other areas that were previously yellow, turning green. This is more of the sugar leaves.

However, I also think this could be nutrient lockout, as I am not seeing much more growth and I am seeing more leaves on top start to die out.

All three plants are drinking the water as my tray needs to be refilled quite frequently.

If this is nute lockout, I will flush with Florakleen and reintroduce 50-60% nutrients – around 550-650PPM and try to move up.
In the meantime, I am going to up my Jacks to 80% see if the plants are hungry as that was my initial instinct now.

Pictures without Grow light

Seedsman Amnesia Haze - Notice the stem color but also, I am seeing leaves die out but also leaves turning green (they were all starting yellow when growing).

IMG_2941.JPG

Dutch Passion - Think Different - Notice they all start with burnt tips and yellow leaves. I also see them getting greener but also dying .

IMG_2939.JPG

Dutch Passion middle and right comparison

IMG_2936.JPG

Amnesia Haze

IMG_2933.JPG

Set up (4 days ago)

Setup.JPG

Pictures with Grow Light
AH.JPG

TD Burn.JPG

Nute burn.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

Thanks all

Last edited:
What is your PH? This looks like a total lockout to me. Turn off the grow lights and take pictures in normal day light.

Please fill in this form: (copy and paste part is below, this first one tell what specifically to include)

-Problem: (brief description)
-Medium/grow method: soil; soilless-- coco, or peat based like Promix, etc. (please provide the actual product name); DWC, NFT, etc.
-Feed and supplements used: include brand, dosage/strength, frequency of feeding and watering (alone); method-- by hand, drippers, rercirc' or drain-to-waste,... N-P-K #'s too if you can!
-Water source: RO/DI; tap- dechlorinated-?..... EC or TDS reading; pH (don't bother with this on RO/DI, do bother with TDS/EC though to confirm it's working well enough)
-Strain and age
-Climate: night and day ambient T and RH%; res' temperatures; any extremes in T/RH% exposure
- Light used: HID, LED, COB, combo of,... wattage; light cycle hours (20/4, 18/6 , etc.); distance to tops....
-Additional info: PH in the root zone. How long have the plants been affected?...How fast did symptoms appear?... Anything else you think might be relevant..

--Pictures including WHOLE PLANT PICS, and troubled leaves.. use normal light or flash as other light sources ruin color rendering, critical for diagnostics! Turn off the grow lights.

✂ - - - - - - - - - - -
(copy and paste)-->

Problem:

Medium/grow method:

Feed: and supplements used:

water source:

PH in the root zone:

Strain/age:

light used:

Climate:

Additional info:

It took forever to get to Jacks feed schedules as their web site is tweaked. It looks like you are doing it totally wrong based on this schedule the 3-2-1 (15-6-17) is for startin clones?

ScreenHunter_305 Nov. 19 11.08.jpg

Thanks as always @Mañ'O'Green . Changed my format accordingly.

Just to clarify, I am using the Jacks 5-12-26 formula (3.6g/gallon), 15-0-0 Cal Nitrate (2.4g/gallon), and Epson Salt (1.1g/gallon) on a 3 - 2 - 1 ratio.

At first I was doing it at 100%, per that schedule and getting to 990PPM / 1.9 EC. I was using Jacks at 100% from late veg to early flower.

I was seeing some nitrogen toxicity and clawing so I dialed it back to 60% to around 650PPM / 1.3EC. This is when I started seeing these issues.

Not sure if the high PPM/EC that early on caused nute lockout or the total opposite which is that I need more nutrients as this started to happen when I dialed it back to 60%. That is when I started seeing growth but also yellow leaves so I am also thinking it is not enough nutrients. As I look now, some of the leaves that were yellow with reddish edges are turning more green but others are dying.

The big question I have is whether these autoflowers can handle high PPM at this stage. I have heard from people on this forum that going above 1EC in Coco is not good; however, I have seen other grow diaries for both strains going above 1.5EC during peak flower.

The Tray and Res is currently at 6.0PH and 650 PPM (1.3EC). I did a slurry test on the coco and am getting a 6.0PH and 500PH (1.0EC), if this means anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
What is your PH?

Part A 3.8g, Part B 2.5g and Mg 1g = 100% per gallon ~1200PPM according to the chart for veg. What is the PPM of your starting water?

Are you using any Bio-stimulants, Kelp, Humic Acid B-Vitamins? Are you adding any Calcium (not cal-mag) for the coco?

I am at 6.0PH and 653PPM in my reservoir and tray. My coco slurry test is showing my medium at 6.0PH and 500PPM (1.0EC) so it is close to my tray and res input.

My starting (tap) water is 42PPM, 7.2PH, once I mix the jacks in, it goes to 6.0PH.

I am only adding hydroguard 2ML/Gallon. I am not adding any additional Calcium beyond the Jacks.

Back