new grower need HELP on transplanting

Reaction score
Hi there
I am a new grower

I am growing blue amnesia and og kush in clear 18oz solo cups with soil inside a grow tent with 18/6 led light

Here are Day 13 now side by side
Left is OG Kush, Right is Blue Amnesia
Screenshot_20220520-174635_Gallery.jpg

The OG Kush from the top, bottom

Screenshot_20220520-174525_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-172110_Gallery.jpg

The Blue Amnesia from top, bottom and side
Screenshot_20220520-174625_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-172317_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220520-172242_Gallery.jpg

The Blue Amnesia is a little stunted it could be because I removed the helmet head few days ago, but
somehow this lil one has more root showed on the bottom.

I'm gonna transplant it to 2 gallon fabric pot.

and worrying about it because

I read on the forum that transplant timing is everything,

some says to transplant within 14 days and some says to transplant after it has developed 3rd nodes

Please advice
any comments are appreciated

I trans-plant when it's no longer a seedling, those aren't seedlings. Four leaves to me says trans-plant.
I don't know about a right way or wrong way, or timing day blah blah etc.
I only have 8 pants under my belt and the biggest of them all was the one I dropped the solo cup on concrete and there lay a plant with nothing but bare roots.
Your girls are ready.

I transplant when there is enough of a root ball to hold the soil together.

Some where between two and three weeks, you could transplant now but I would wait a bit.

Usually I will wait until I see roots start to circle the bottom.

Cheers

I transplant whenever I feel its the right time, no reasoning, just, you know, "ah what the hell, today will be fine"...

i think the most important things are:
A good strong root ball, makes it easy to remove from the cup and easy to drop in the hole.
plant deep, usually upto the cotyledons.
tap the new soil quite firmly around the root ball and water. keep it simple.

I 'm with @chuckeye eye in this matter.
However the trick is to not disturb the roots as much as possible by being gentle!
You want to avoid transplant shock, which can stunt the plants.
I have been working on a dwarfing technique, which actively employs "Transplant Shock" but that has to be right at the correct moment ie when the plant starts to show sex, this shocks the roots just at the moment "Stretch" is about to take place.
Shocking the roots at this time, makes the plant put it energy re-establish the root zone and thus for the most part stop the stretch.
I also use other factors as well but that's not important now!
In the early days of AFN a lot of growers would use one of techniques to avoid transplant shock.
1. They would slit the sides of a solo cup (with holes in the bottom) and then put that cup in another cup (with holes in the bottom.
When the plant was ready for transplant, the outer cup was removed and the inner cup with the slits was planted in the final pot.
The roots would grow through the slits, with no detrimental effects to the plant!
2. this method is very similar to the first method but in this case the bottom of the cup was cut off and then inserted into another solo cup.
However in this instance, when the plat was ready to be transplanted, the out cup is removed as per the first method. the only the bottom inch or so was buried in the final pot, the root would them grow down into the final pot"!
Once repotted a watering of a root stimulator will help proceedings along and help aid recovery of any slight transplant shock.

Here is a pic of some of my dwarfs, which turned into real bud bombs. these girls are short @ a max of 45cm
1653071711150.png

Dear Nory, I am no expert in anything, but I believe this type of transplant should be completed within ten days. Like Arty said cut multiple slits(1") Horizontally than place your slitted cup with soil inside a solid colored cup. This will prevent root damage to the roots. There is really no need to transplant an auto, best to start in final pot. Not smashing on ya, but I do not believe you will get any meaningful root development outside the cup as shown. Just my 2sense worth.Good luck.

Hi guys
thanks you for all advices

I wait for another week to make sure she has enough root ball to hold soil together before transplant

Here the OG Kush Day 18
Screenshot_20220525-205750_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220525-205734_Gallery.jpg

The Blue Amnesia grows very slow. and her leaves turn yellow. Do you think she needa nutrients now?

Screenshot_20220525-205717_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-205647_Gallery.jpg

I am growing an OG Kush at the moment, 1 plant scrog grow, its a strong plant, hope yours grows well.

Day 25 photos, NEED HELP
Hi guys

Here is the photos of my 2 grows on Day 25

Here is the blue Amnesia:
IMG-20220601-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220601-WA0000.jpg

She has been transplanted from solo cup to a 1 gallon pot 2 days ago (Day 23) because she looked yellow and the root had developed enough root ball.

I moisted the pot and solo cup with Superthrive and left them in my grow tent under the light for approximately 2 hour before transplant to adapt to the grow room condition.

I sprinkled mycorrhizae powder both on the pot soil as well as on the root directly during transplanting and watered her with Superthrive water after transplant.

She is still yellow but looks a little greener today and I can tell she grows a little bit.

When do you think I should feed her?

Here is the OG Kush:
IMG-20220601-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220601-WA0006.jpg

She looks very healthy, she is due to tranplant now since she has developed enough root ball now.
Problem is, the 1st true leaves on the bottom turns yellow and has some brown spot.

IMG-20220601-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220601-WA0008.jpg
I watered it this morning with Flora Gro (5 drops) & Cal Mag (4 drops) in 1 liter water and see how she goes.

Do you think she is hungry (nitrogen or otherdeficiencies) or it is because of the root bound?
Should I transplant now or do I have to wait until she turns back green on her leaves?
Should I transplant to a smaller 1 liter pot, or should I go ahead into final 2 gallon fabric pot?

Any comments are appreciated

Hi guys

Here is the photos of my 2 grows on Day 25

Here is the blue Amnesia:
View attachment 1466672
View attachment 1466674
She has been transplanted from solo cup to a 1 gallon pot 2 days ago (Day 23) because she looked yellow and the root had developed enough root ball.

I moisted the pot and solo cup with Superthrive and left them in my grow tent under the light for approximately 2 hour before transplant to adapt to the grow room condition.

I sprinkled mycorrhizae powder both on the pot soil as well as on the root directly during transplanting and watered her with Superthrive water after transplant.

She is still yellow but looks a little greener today and I can tell she grows a little bit.

When do you think I should feed her?

Here is the OG Kush:
View attachment 1466675
View attachment 1466676
She looks very healthy, she is due to tranplant now since she has developed enough root ball now.
Problem is, the 1st true leaves on the bottom turns yellow and has some brown spot.

View attachment 1466677
View attachment 1466678I watered it this morning with Flora Gro (5 drops) & Cal Mag (4 drops) in 1 liter water and see how she goes.

Do you think she is hungry (nitrogen or otherdeficiencies) or it is because of the root bound?
Should I transplant now or do I have to wait until she turns back green on her leaves?
Should I transplant to a smaller 1 liter pot, or should I go ahead into final 2 gallon fabric pot?

Any comments are appreciated

my personal experience with any plant is: If you start with good soil/soil-perlite mix you do not need to give them any nutrients or feed, ONLY water for the first month or so, and then after give only 1/3 the recommended dose, building up to full dose as the plant requires it.

We should be careful in the beginning to allow the plants to grow naturally, imho

I would transplant, but I see lots of competitions where people grow full size plants in small cups, so really you have to decide which way to go and run with it.

Back