Grow Room My fan is too powerful on low setting

Reaction score
I got a Vivosun 6” inline variable speed fan for my 4x4x7 tent. It would be perfect if the tent wasn’t in the garage. Even on low it’s dropping the temp too much. Can I hook up another speed controller to it? Or should I just get a smaller fan?

The 6” will be great in the summertime but right now I only want to filter the air & change temp by about 1deg.

Maybe an in-line booster fan would be enough for now?

Even on low it’s dropping the temp too much.
Indoors, I have a radiator heater in a wooden file cabinet (no drawers of course) and that is pushed up to a lower sock opening and the little screen window. The inline fan sucks in the warm and toasties. That could work for you too.

Do you need to run the fan right now? What are the temps of your tent? Are they starting to flower and giving off smell? Another possibility is putting the fan on a timer to switch on/off to run for a short period of time if needing to control temps.

Perhaps, just forget about the fan being too powerful and bringing in to much cool air (presumably because it is running all the time). To get +/- 1 degree temperature control just get a thermostat extension/switch, such as a Lux WIN100. That way the fan will only run when the temp. goes ≥1 degree above the baseline you set.

Otherwise, I would presume it not prudent (electricity-wise) to add a variable controller to a fan already set at a lower speed using its own variable controller switch.

And if you want/need to heat up the garage, just vent the exhaust into it rather than presumably piping the exhaust outside.

You are all awesome! Thank you for the valuable advice!

So I insulated the floor with cardboard boxes & then put the tub floor on top. I raised the plants on a large plastic tub which takes up a nice amount of space. I added my 86w LED pointed at the side of the plants to help penetrate the canopy more. I let the temp get up a bit higher (26c/79f). Then I started running the fan on the lowest setting, venting right into the garage. My garage is now a couple degrees warmer & my tent fluctuates between 21c/70f to 24c/75f with current weather. As it gets hotter I’m assuming I’ll just have to turn the fan up and start venting outside.

The advice I got from you all will be super valuable as temps drop in September. Thanks again!!!!

This is what my set up looks like. I turned the LED off so I could take the pic without tons of glare.

Attachments

• 228EAB01-0B5D-4B65-B764-F7D1B4D42A3E.jpeg
    228EAB01-0B5D-4B65-B764-F7D1B4D42A3E.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 169
I got a Vivosun 6” inline variable speed fan for my 4x4x7 tent. It would be perfect if the tent wasn’t in the garage. Even on low it’s dropping the temp too much. Can I hook up another speed controller to it? Or should I just get a smaller fan?

The 6” will be great in the summertime but right now I only want to filter the air & change temp by about 1deg.

Maybe an in-line booster fan would be enough for now?

You need to be able to control fan speed with something like this
Amazon product

Is it only dropping the temp to much when the lights are off? If so a simple timer might help a lot

That's why the fans tell you the sqft it rated for.

Back