Mutant or Enviormental? 2nd opinion wanted

TheSpacePope

Badge Hunter
Reaction score
Pretty positive I just have a mutant or bad genetics on one of my beans, since the symptoms are NOT across the board. But wanted a 2nd opinion just in case. I mean what's the point of being on AFN if you dont use the awesome resources available to you :d5:

Now to the issue: Genofarms Purple Haze Auto
Having weird growths of the leaves since about day 10ish, it is now mid day 17 of the light cycle,
Pic will be here:
2015-11-19 16.28.46.png

Specs:
Pots: 20L Hercules Pots
Soil: Roots organic original potting soil + 20ish% Perlite adn Great white shark Mycros
Nutes: 4ml AN Sensi Grow and 1.5 of Grow More: Seaweed,Mendo Honey, BioCozyme, 1ml CalMg from Gen Org. and some Great white shark mycros.
Temps: 70-72F Night cycle, Day 77-82F Humity: 36-46
Lights: GN Ms004 x2

Some of my other plants for comparison:
BlackBerry kush from DP
2015-11-19 16.37.38.png

And my makeshift airpot for the solo cup comp
2015-11-19 16.24.33.png

Thanks in advance guys:toke::thumbsup::bow:, I tried posting this in my Grow Log but got no replies.

Last edited:
Didnt pack it too tight I Believe , just filled with a cup and made it level after about each gal or so not to create air pockets and make sure it is being distributed evenly in the pot. I didnt pick it up and drop it to settle it or force it down. I always went by this: Fill and lightly push your finger through and check the resistance to check "packness" you shouldnt feel a ton of resistance but not too little and should easily go pack 2nd knuckle before prewatering.

But wouldn't think soil packness would cause the mutant growth?

Straw was just a lighter stake and just left it as a indicator for the P. haze @Magic

:toke:-- Hey Pope! ...dude, I do NOT like the looks of that PH,... genetic for sure, but more alarming is a possible virus! :eek1:- hard to say which one, as there are several, and symptoms vary, even from strain to strain of the same virus...I don't like mashing the Red Alert button, because the only way to tell with absolute certainty is with a test kit,... that said, some of the signs I've gathered include:
  • it's showing abnormal growth from day 1
  • color breaks in the leaves
  • asymmetrical growth on either side of the mid-rib (that odd sideways curling)
  • rumpled, uneven growth and expansion of leaf tissue
.... on the positive side, it isn't stunted compared to the others,... and similar symptoms can be attributed to other things,...:doh:frustrating, I know! I hate even suggesting it, because to date, I haven't found a reliable, definitive source of diagnostic pics and info and such on MJ viruses, just half-ass articles and forum postings, some meager discussion in books, etc.,... As you know, there's no cure for viruses, only total wipe-out of plant and sterilizing of any commonly used tools, probes, no recycling of soil, etc.,... I'll see if I can get other eyes on this, but meantime, treat it like a diseased critter! In the end, it's your call on the risk of keeping it and infecting other plants, even in later grows if the virus gets transferred by contaminated tools, pots and the like, weighed against the uncertainty of diagnosis here... Also, in general, (non-viral) mutations this bad seldom work out as being worth the effort in the end-- potential yield and quality loss....

Looks like a combination of PH problem and overwatering to me :)

Waira's usually right though ^_^

:d5:

What do you mean by PH @Waira? feed when I checked it was 6.0 or 6.1 and 6.2-6.3 R.O. when I checked my control.But if the Ph was off wouldnt it be affecting all plants in the grow receiving the feed? just trying to make since of this.

Thanks again man for such a detailed reply, it really helps!

TheSpacepope

oh! :biggrin: PH=Purple Haze, bro,... not pH,...:rofl:..... wish I had something more definite Pope, we've seen this same sort of thing before, and some quality knowledgeable eyes called it simple mutation, others called it viral,...:wall:... My personal choice would be to ditch it (it's a turd in any case), treat it like it was confirmed viral in terms of decontamination protocol (get this nuclear stuff called Physan 20), and start over... My feelings are that it simply isn't worth the risk,....beauty of auto's, right? No need to tweak the tent set-up to accommodate a new girlie! And it's only 17 days, so no huge loss of investment there either! ...I'm still looking for consults, but the two best ones are sorta MIA right now,...
--- oh yeah, one thing about Roots soil, it seems to lose buffering capacity later, from what other fine growers have experienced in the past, so heads-up on that! Since you're using RO, maybe top dress a little Ag' lime, "fast acting" lime (man-made stuff), or super-fine (not granular) dolomite soon, as these sources take time to work-- dolomite in particular! It's the slowest acting of the lot, due to slightly different chemistry,... Your Ca-Mg supp' can help too, if it's all carbonate based; carbonates (CO3--/HCO3-) are what does the pH buffering in water, and the soil, not the Ca+ or Mg+ ions,... :greenthumb:

--- :pighug: Blooo, lovie, always a kind word,..!! :cheers:

@Waira LMAO I was wondering about that PH = PH or haze, I ran into that issue with the buffer a few runs ago with roots. But I tried switching over to AN PH perfect this run to try it and made sure I talked to their rep and he state "Do NOT ADD LIME" it will adjust the ph itself. which leaves me a little worried. I was already smelling something foul when I said I had a bad history with the Sunshine advanced mixes drain and fill rate and he said "even though you had a bad history with it, you should get it ....something about blueberrry farmers....."
which I was gonna add lime before I planted UGGGG :face:.... Soooo confused now!!! But I'll have to look into what the General Organics CalMg is. Since I trust you guys more then their sales reps for advise. You and all the fine mods/greenthumbs havent steered me wrong yet in 2 years of being on here:thanks::worship::cheers:

But for the P.Haze I might give it another 24hrs and see what comes back from the guru's then pull it and scorched earth everything associated with it, I already started a Buddha Magnum seed and it popped it little head yesterday JIC.

Can't say thank you enough man!:passit:

-The SpacePope
:wiz::worship:

:shrug: Hmmm, well, if you were running all AN nutes and supp's, I'd listen to the rep', TaNg, or others about that, but with the mix of products you have, some buffering extra's might be smart, just for prevention's sake (I looked it up, and there's no lime listed in the ingredients, which is damn odd, IMO..small wonder folks have occasional acidic pH issues in it!),... but that's a toss up now, fix not that which ain't broke, ay? --so let's see how this whole gig behaves, and be sure to watch your in-soil pH carefully and regularly, ditto for the nute' soln. inputs... as you know, most nute's run acidic, and that RO water has nuth' for buffering as well; AN may handle it's own fellow brand products, but mixed with others, I don't think there's enough buffering power in there to compensate... A gotta have is an Accurate 8 soil pH probe! Screw the sketchy run-off method, full of inherent measurement errors, and having to saturate the damn soil to even get a decent reading,... ***.... waiting on that consult Pope, so stand by as you planned,.... :cheers:--you're welcome mate!

Back