Son of Hobbes

High of the Tiger
Staff member
AFN Admin
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
www.autoflower.org
Hey guys I have a few questions about pollen I was hoping maybe someone could answer.

How close is too close for a male plant and your female plants? Do you guys let males grow out in a separate room all together? Is it safe to keep the plants on the same level of the house? Should I move my males up to a different room (not tent) or floor altogether?

My first experience with pollen was not catching a male auto into time (never even saw it drop anything) and I had a fan in front of all the plants in the tent; well it was lined up in almost a perfect line: Fan->male plant->female auto #1->female auto #2->female auto #3. #1 was loaded with seeds, #2 had a bit less seeds, and #3 had the least :rofl: Whoooopsy!

I love the idea of playing with strains and breeding though; need to do a lot of reading up on it though :d5:

The next question I had was, is there a way to grow out multiple males in the same space but isolate them somehow so they aren't cross contaminating the other male plants with pollen? So pollen from male plant A isn't dusting the pollen from male plant B in the same space. Is that a worry/concern others have? Or do people typically stick with one strain when doing pollen/seed runs?

Appreciate any advice on this, it's all new to me! :pass:

Hey guys I have a few questions about pollen I was hoping maybe someone could answer.

How close is too close for a male plant and your female plants? Do you guys let males grow out in a separate room all together? Is it safe to keep the plants on the same level of the house? Should I move my males up to a different room (not tent) or floor altogether?

My first experience with pollen was not catching a male auto into time (never even saw it drop anything) and I had a fan in front of all the plants in the tent; well it was lined up in almost a perfect line: Fan->male plant->female auto #1->female auto #2->female auto #3. #1 was loaded with seeds, #2 had a bit less seeds, and #3 had the least :rofl: Whoooopsy!

I love the idea of playing with strains and breeding though; need to do a lot of reading up on it though :d5:

The next question I had was, is there a way to grow out multiple males in the same space but isolate them somehow so they aren't cross contaminating the other male plants with pollen? So pollen from male plant A isn't dusting the pollen from male plant B in the same space. Is that a worry/concern others have? Or do people typically stick with one strain when doing pollen/seed runs?

Appreciate any advice on this, it's all new to me! [emoji14]ass:
It would be best to keep all males separate, and don't even think about keeping them in the same room as females, pollen can be transferred on anything, your hands,clothes, equipment, etc.,so be careful.

I would keep them in a different room or tent for sure, and check out the females first and then check in on the males. Wash your hands well, water kills pollen. I'd even suggest wearing gloves and a smock when checking on the males, a little over kill but could protect you from finding unwanted seeds. Once your male pollen sacks start to open and you are worried about getting a dusting from another male you could remove unopened pollen sacks near the ones that have opened and open them slightly in a small container and give it a little shake to knock the pollen loose.

I would suggest trying to grow one strain of males at a time so you can pick the best of that kind unless you have lots of regular seeds to play with and want to see which male from these strains does the best and want to cross it with whichever female seems to be the best.

Can keep pollen for 6months + airtight/light proof container, rice grain or two (traps moisture), and in the fridge. So that glorious, resin stankin' male from your first grow can pollinate females in your 2nd and even 3rd grow.

Since you do not need a lot of pollen you can always trim down the males to tiny sticks with just a few pollen sites rather than a full plant covered in pollen sacks.

As for reading I would suggest The Cannabis Breeders Bible, available on kindles and such.. Great level of information from basic to head scratching level of depth. Plenty to get you started and the wheels turning.

Good Luck Hobbes - keep us updated I am sure you are going to manage to create some interesting and unique strains !

Back