Old Reviews Mars Hydro 4" Inline Fan

Reaction score
MARS HYDRO 4 Inch Inline Duct Fan 4” Ventilation Exhaust Fan with Speed Controller for Grow Tents, Heating Cooling Booster, Hydroponics (4" with Speed Control): Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I needed another fan for my 2x3 tent. I was splitting air from another 2x3 tent with an AC Infinity 4" fan. In the winter it was fine, but now I need more airflow. I compared the @Marshydro 4" with the AC Infinity 4", and they really do look identical. And on Amazon we all know the same product can be branded differently 10 different times but it's about the same. The Mars 4" was $25 less than the AC Infinity. I should have stuck with what I know and bought another AC Infinity. And I'll tell and show you why.

If you put the two fans side by side they are pretty much identical. And out of the box I was YES, same fan $25 cheaper. Frickn cheap skate. I zip tied it to the top rear pole just like my AC. Popped on a filter. The speed control is a dial. The AC has an LED display with a button that you have 8 speeds, each click is a speed and a corresponding LED. Works well. The Mars is a dial that the markings from low to high on it don't correspond at all to where the dial is turned to. The graphic is much smaller than the actual rotation of the dial. That's fine, no big deal, but not quite the same nice way the AC works, but it works well with infinite increments.

The problem comes when I turn them on. I was always happy with the volume of the AC fan, it's not loud and just sounds like more air flowing. On full it is very muted on the other side of the door of this room when it's closed. The Mars, well... sounds like an airplane taking off, and I've been on a lot of airplanes. Ones you get it half way or more it has a high pitch resonance that quite frankly is irritating to be in the same room with it on. When outside that room with the door closed you can hear it whaling away in the next room. Not good.

Now I will say it moves air. It moves air just as well as my AC, which is really well. So I can't complain about the power. But the resonance of the fan, sheeesh. I don't know, @Marshydro , is it supposed to sound like this? It's the first time I've wanted to return something on Amazon cause I really don't like the noise. Identical to the AC in every way but volume and tone. Maybe I got a bad one? It doesn't sound broken, just sounds like it is what it is. What are your thoughts about the videos below? The only reason why I am hesitant to return it is cause I hate going through the hassle of it all lol.

Here is the AC Infinity 4" fan from 0 to 100%, At the start you can hear clicking, that's me clicking it up to level 8 (top speed). All you hear is air flow.
AC Infinity Startup 0 - 8 Video Sample

And here is the Marsh Hydro 4" fan from 0 - 100%.
Mars Hydro 4" Startup 0 - 100% Video Sample

And here it is installed. Looks good, well made, great airflow, noise is unbearable.
20210504_173625.jpg

I don't think I would want that in my bedroom. :rofl: The more air you need to move the more sound becomes a problem. Yes it is best to start with the quietest fan you can afford. Sometimes going bigger lets you run the fan at a slower speed and is quieter? Theoretically a 6 inch fan is big enough for my space and it was running top speed most of the time and too noisy for comfort. I went to the 8" and it runs most of the time in the quiet zone.

Ya, I was gonna go 6" but my AC Infinity 4" runs at half speed or less and it clears the tent just fine. So figured the 4" Mars would be just as good, which it is just as good at moving air, but loud AF. Even at 50% it's loud, it doesn't have to be at 100% to make that whirrrrrring noise.

Now I will say it moves air. It moves air just as well as my AC, which is really well. So I can't complain about the power. But the resonance of the fan, sheeesh. I don't know, @Marshydro , is it supposed to sound like this? It's the first time I've wanted to return something on Amazon cause I really don't like the noise. Identical to the AC in every way but volume and tone. Maybe I got a bad one? It doesn't sound broken, just sounds like it is what it is. What are your thoughts about the videos below? The only reason why I am hesitant to return it is cause I hate going through the hassle of it all lol.
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We supply the grow tent kits, contained the exhaust fan, we haven't heard customers complain about the noise of the exhaust fan now, so I don't sure if your exhaust fan failed or not. But it's clear that our fan have the noise in the video, I will check with our factory if this is normal, will feedback you soon.

Mars reached out to me via email and we rectified the situation right away. Gotta give them credit for seeing an customer who had an issue and they were happy to fix things up for me asap. What more can you ask for. Things go wrong at the best of times or with the best products, it's what a company does with that is what really matters and in this case Mars made me happy. I'll for sure keep investing in Mars lights when I need upgrades. Thanks Mars.

Checked with our factory, this kind of fan is different from our previous in grow tent kits fans, it's real this fan is noisier than the previous one. We are different factories with AC infinity, different brands, different manufacturers, different prices, the product itself is different. But we already find the solutions, will fix it and lower the noise in later manufacturing

Last edited:
Hey, in the end it's just plastic and metal bits, and sometimes things aren't perfect with the best of things. As long as they treat the customer well is all that matters. So thanks Mars.

Back